Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
June Underwood

Nurse Nellie Decima Brown

Jim Strawbridge

Well done in getting this far. It reminds me of the hunt by Jim Corkery for the grave of Mina MacDonald in Palavas-les-Flots Communal Cemetery

Jim Strawbridge

I have now obtained the handwritten death certificate from the Sallanches Mayors office for Elsie Underwood, which a friend has translated as follows:

The 21st of October, 1918 at 19h30. Underwood Elsie Janet, 32 years old, nurse at the Scottish Women’s Hospital of Red Cross located at the Sallanches Grand Hotel. Daughter of parents whose name we don’t know; widow of man whose name we don't know, she died at the Depraz-Depland’s Villa, Megève road. The death certificate was established on the 22nd of October 1918 at 15h00 on the statement of Eugène Montessuit, 43 years old, farmer, resident of this town, and Joseph Revenaz, 49 years old, town clerk, resident of this town, who signed it jointly with us, Francois Gex, Mayor of Sallanches, replacing the mobilized Mayor and Deputy Mayor.

Registrar

Notifiers:

Eugène Montessuit

=====

According to information from Alan Cummings http://scottishwomenshospitals.co.uk she was initially buried, then re-interred in an area within Sallanches Cemetery other Serbian soldiers/boys from the TB hospital she was serving in were buried. Regrettably my investigations have drawn a blank that there is a record of the location or a marked grave - however I have not finally accepted this!

Any progress?

Linda111

I know its been several years since the initial discussions regarding Nurse Nellie Decima Brown and hope this message finds those of you who had been trying to locate her grave. I am pleased to say I have found her very humble headstone in the church yard of All Saints Emberton which is in poor condition and barely legible. I have taken a photo and will upload it if it is still needed. I can also show anyone who wants to visit where it is if interested as I live close by. Just message me. Hope this will still be usefull after all this time!

Jim Strawbridge
15 hours ago, Linda111 said:

I know its been several years since the initial discussions regarding Nurse Nellie Decima Brown and hope this message finds those of you who had been trying to locate her grave. I am pleased to say I have found her very humble headstone in the church yard of All Saints Emberton which is in poor condition and barely legible. I have taken a photo and will upload it if it is still needed. I can also show anyone who wants to visit where it is if interested as I live close by. Just message me. Hope this will still be usefull after all this time!

Linda, I am interested in receiving a photograph of her headstone. One of my volunteer photographers had trawled Emberton churchyard looking for her grave without success so it is fantastic that you have found her. The photographer did manage to get a photograph of the brass plaque in the church. I am not sure if we can message each other until you have made five postings so here is my email address :-  jimstrawbridgecoinsale AT gmail.com