Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help me find a soldier

Guest diggydec

Guest diggydec

Hello all,

My mother is trying through myself for any information of her father who was an Irishman and served the British Army in World War One.

All the info. that she has is as follows.

Name: John Kennedy

Died: Around 1938

Buried: Ballygarvan, Co. Cork, Ireland

Children: Jackie, Bridie, Mary, John , Michael, James & Tom.

She never really remembered him as he was away at war.

I tried various British Military websites, but I cannot find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mmm, that's a tall order.

Does any member of the family know where they were married? If he was a serving soldier his unit may have been recorded on the certificate. Could you take a look at the local paper in Cork and see if there are any family notices or obits?

You could try Irish regimental museums (of the Irish regiments that served in the British army,that is - although he may have been in an English regiment ( one of my relatives,from Co.Mayo served in the Loyal North Lancs.)) and the PRO for any medal indexes (difficult though unless you have an idea of his unit and/or service number).Unfortunately, I'd say that John Kennedy was a common name,meaning that you'll probably come across a lot that aren't your Grandfather.

Are there any photo's of him in uniform,or any family stories that could give any clues as to his service? Best of all,do you know the whereabouts of his medals? This would give you both his number and basic unit.

Sorry I can't be of more help,but the more you find out about him,the more accessable other info. becomes.

Dave

As an afterthought. Do Absent Voters Lists exist for Ireland? If they do , and you have an idea where his home address (town) was in 1918/19 you could find out his number and unit from this.

Dave

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have just had a look at the medal index cards for John Kennedy :o

There are quite a lot to Irish Regiments.

Some more info in definitely required and the absent voters list, outside any info or pictures the family have, is the best bet.

Ian ;)

As an afterthought. Do Absent Voters Lists exist for Ireland? If they do , and you have an idea where his home address (town) was in 1918/19 you could find out his number and unit from this.

Dave

I don't know if there are any I have been looking but will let you know if there is any.

Conor

Mmm, that's a tall order.

Does any member of the family know where they were married? If he was a serving soldier his unit may have been recorded on the certificate. Could you take a look at the local paper in Cork and see if there are any family notices or obits?

If you have the year you can look it up if you are over in Dublin.

Conor

Guest diggydec

Hello again,

I have traced a relative who has a medal for him.

It says: Private J Kenedy

RAMC

I hope someone would be kind enough to check this for any info on him.

Strangely enough, his surname on the medal spelt "Kennedy" wrong.

My mother has no pictures of him.

Would there be one?

I would be very grateful for any results, and thanks for the replies so far.

Declan

Now you have his number rank and regiment you can get his Medal Index card to see what medals he got his papers (if they have survived) and you could contact the regimental museum etc. as for a photo they are hard to find your best bet would be a local paper but even then it is far from certain that you will get one in case you aren't what RAMC is it stands for the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Conor