Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps company numbers.

bts1970

On 07/11/2010 at 23:07, badjez said:

Whittington Barracks, Lichfield- 413/490. For County of Staffordshire.

Given he was born and buried in Tettenhall, Staffordshire and was formerly South Staffordshire Regiment (Bn not known) this snippet of badjez may provide a clue in that it appears 413 AND 490 (undesignated) Coys were based out of Lichfield and serviced Staffordshire.

I'd still love to know when his Labour Corps number was issued as this may give a clue as to the possible length of his SStaffs service.

Looking at his war gratuity it's slightly odd as it should have been paid as a Corporal but was instead paid as a Private (it gives a nonsense result as a Corporal).

image.png.0acbc38846de6fdf1f45c82a3cef24af.png

https://wargratuity.uk/war-gratuity-calculator/

#26698 South Staffs was mobilized 8 June 1916 so we know that Barratt's service started around then - obviously this gives more than 13 months qualifying service....

I think the answer to this one is that he was posted to the Agricultural company on civilian wages - for most of that period he would not accrue any war gratuity entitlement.

As a hypothesis at the moment - On agricultural duty at civilian wages a man would accrue war gratuity for the first 8 months only so I'd suggest that he had 5 months with the South Staffs and then went on to the Labour Corps for the 8 months of accruing war gratuity, then he continued on serving until his death on civilian wages (and thus not accruing further war gratuity).

EDIT:
Just checked some records and #498948 labour corps seems to have been issued on 23 Dec 1917 so Barratt's must have been issued around the same time. This leaves us with even more questions as somewhere along the way he has dropped 16/17 months of qualifying service based on the paid war gratuity - either he has forfeited war gratuity for some reason (other than what can be explained from agricultural service) or his war gratuity was paid wrongly.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

cheers craig, a real conundrum!!  Thanks for your input

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I am trying to look into my Grandfather,s war history. All I have found is on his medal card

Private Edward H Meyrick 452510 Labour R

He came from S Wales and had pretty poor eyesight. The only family history is that the Germans gassed him twice. Once in WW1 and in WW2 he was on fire watch sitting in front of a coal fire and keeled over with CO2 poisoning!

any info would be gratefully received

thanks

Glenn Ralphs

16 minutes ago, Glenn Ralphs said:

Hello All

I am trying to look into my Grandfather,s war history. All I have found is on his medal card

Private Edward H Meyrick 452510 Labour R

He came from S Wales and had pretty poor eyesight. The only family history is that the Germans gassed him twice. Once in WW1 and in WW2 he was on fire watch sitting in front of a coal fire and keeled over with CO2 poisoning!

any info would be gratefully received

thanks

Glenn Ralphs

Looking at other men:
#452517 was issued 14 Nov 17

Craig

On 01/11/2018 at 12:06, ss002d6252 said:

Looking at other men:
#452517 was issued 14 Nov 17

Craig

Craig

Thank you for that. Any suggestions where I might go next to find out where he went?

Glenn

as you say his MIC says he got the BWM and victory so must have been overseas in the zone.301 & 266 on top of medal roll may be of help. but from the LLT at the top of the forum

War diaries of Labour Corps units

Army Council Instruction 611 stated that units of the Labour Corps would not be required to maintain a war diary unless the Commander-in-Chief concerned authorised otherwise. This, and the fact that the nominal rolls and other documents were destroyed in the Arnside Street fire in 1940 makes researching a man of the Labour Corps difficult and producing a good analysis of his story a rather sketchy affair.

may not be able to get much further

• 2 years later...

Re

Captain William Francis Bunt, CO 143rd Infantry Labour Company 1914-1921

Commissioned from the ranks

1914 Star

Eltham, London  address "The Ravensbourne Club”

"The Ravensbourne Club" was actually in Eltham Road, Lee, London. It building still stands in 2021.

https://runner500.wordpress.com/2020/09/18/the-ravensbourne-athletic-club-of-ladywell-and-lee/