Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial plaques and scrolls

steve fuller

Hi all

Havent touched on this subject so far, so 'scuse my ignorance please.

I have no plaque to refer to for my research, so dont even know what info is on them Im afraid. Can anyone advise if thers a list or similar that may yeild any more info and what kind of info is on them?

On the offchance there is, if the info is available I would be very grateful to learn anything available about about Pvt Herbert Charles Kendall (4400 and 200570) Bedfordshire Regmnt Enlisted 1914 into trhe 5th. KIA 23/03/1918 serving in the 7th.

Many thanks

Steve

Thanks Lee

Ive seen the SGDW referred to many times; what is it please?!!

Steve

steve , soldiers died great war

enoch

Guest Pete Wood

Steve

There is no list (that survives) of the memorial plaques and scrolls.

The bronze plaque had the name of the soldier cast into it: forename(s) and surname - no rank or any other details.

The scroll gave the highest known rank (including acting rank) of the soldier/sailor/airman, his forename(s), surname, decorations (MM, MC, VC etc), unit (often abbreviated).

So the scroll may show 19th London Regiment, but it will usually show only London Regt. Some scrolls I have seen will say, for example, Hampshire Regt (TF).

If, as many were, a medically down-graded soldier was transferred from his regiment to the Labour Corps, and then died, the scroll is made out to the regiment that he was serving in BEFORE his transfer to the Labour Corps.

Some scrolls, particularly RFC casualties, will show the original regiment AND the RFC unit. An example is:

Capt John Edward Smith MC

Yorkshire Regt (TF) & 26 Sqn RFC

Without the scroll, it is (at the moment) almost impossible to say who a plaque was made for (unless the name is unique).

'Soldiers died great war'; of course! Duh! So its purely a 'list' that gives names then?

Thanks Enoch, Lee and RT. Steve

TEAPOTS(PETER)

how is the book on plaques coming on?Is there a book on the way?You are now the worlds leading authority.I am not sure if you HAVE seriosly thought about the book if not then PLEASE could you.Tere are lots of pals on this forum who will be lining up to buy a copy.

Sorry to keep on .

CHEERS

JOHN. :D

Guest Pete Wood

John, I am very much on track with writing a book on the plaques and scrolls. In the last 12 months I have also, thanks mainly to people on this forum (including you, John), made much progress on straightening out some of the puzzling aspects of production. But every new lead has just created more questions.....

I'd very much hope to have a website up and running in the next six months. The book, and one or two other spin-offs will, hopefully, follow in a sensible time frame soon after. I want people to be able to look at, and have the opportunity to correct any mistakes I may have inadvertantly made, before going to press.