Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Discharge by Indulgence'

vollketten

Whilst researching a family member of the British Army I found his discharge listed as being ''discharge by indulgence'.

It is listed as being under article 1142 (III).

What does this actually mean?

He was actually discharge in about 1902 but is the father of two boys killed in WW1 who I was actually looking at and trying to piece together some missing parts of family history.

Can anyone help please?

This suggests it was something that the War Office could do if it felt inclined to do so:

HANSARD

DISCHARGES FROM THE ARMY.

11 March 1901 vol 90 cc1152-3 1152

§ MR. WEIR

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that the parents of a lad just over eighteen years of age, who enlisted in the Cameron Highlanders as recently as January last, have been unable to secure his discharge although they have offered to make the usual payment of £10; and will he consider the expediency of arranging for discharge by indulgence in cases such as this without awaiting the order for demobilisation.

LORD STANLEY

The rule against the grant of discharges during mobilisation has been strictly enforced, and an exception in an individual case could not be made without injustice to the many who have been refused their discharge.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

Just guessing, but perhaps if the parents thought their son was too young to fight. (I vaguely recall a case a bit like this at the start of the Falklands conflict.) Or on other compassionate grounds, such as of the "Saving Private Ryan" type (ie two or more sons lost already).

Moonraker

I wonder if his unit was under orders to go abroad, perhaps to South Africa, as the word "mobilization" is mentioned in the Hansard reply.

King's Regulations has this entry in paragraph 393:

"When a unit or draft is ordered abroad, an application (for discharge) previously registered will be submitted at once to the specified authority for decision. When application is made by a soldier after his name has been included in a draft for service abroad, or after his unit has received orders for service abroad, the application will be submitted at once to the brigade commander, the CO, explaining the case and stating whether the vacancy can be filled."

It would be at the discretion - or indulgence - of the brigade commander to authorise his discharge in these circumstances, and as noted in Hansard, this failed because of the reason given.

Section V11, article 1125 ( c ) of the Pay Warrant mentions discharge "as an indulgence" in the preamble to Conditions of Discharge when "a soldier cannot, except as provided by Section 81 of the Army Act, demand his discharge as a matter of right until the expiration of his engagement;but discharge may be granted at an earlier date:-

( a ) On account of unfitness for further service

( b ) In consequence of a reduction of the military establishment

( c ) as an indulgence.

I rest my case Your Honour.

TR

A little perhaps like the Monty Python sketch of the private who wants a discharge from the army because "it's dangerous being a soldier" (he only joined for the water skiing) "there are people out there with guns". If you'd joined and found the army life wasn't right for you they'd let you out for a fee (to cover all the wasted training effort etc) but they wouldn't be so 'indulgent' if you wanted out because you were being sent to the front to do the job you'd signed up for. One can understand both sides.