Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Basse Ville

kerran156

Hi everyone, I have been reading about my Great Granddads service with the 2nd battalion wellington infantry , New Zealand Division and have came across La Basse Ville, despite all my searching i cannot find any location or information on this site/sector.

Any help?

Thanks

Kerran

... and if you do a Google search for La Basse Ville, you will see a lengthy NZ entry which describes the activities of the division in 1918 operations down there.

Jack

• 1 month later...

G-day Kerran

see la Basseville on the overlaid old trench map. it is just south of Mesen (Messine) Belgium. The Wellingtons releived Auckland at Flattened farm and Au Chasseur Caberat area. and then advanced the line towards la Basseville

cheers rodg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi kerran

Looks like you making good inroads with your research. La Basse-ville is a rather famous place for the Nz Division June-July 1917, we took La Basse-ville from the Germans with pretty fierce fighting only to have the Germans regain it again a couple of days later. Nz then took La Basse-ville a second time and this time kept hold of it and pushed on into Warneton just North East of La Basse-ville. There is a good blurb on it all on the nzect web sight.

http://www.nzetc.org...y-d2-d4-d4.html

Also you'll find reference to it on the official history's of the Canterbury, Otago and Auckland Regiments, these books are available to view online on the nzect sight or you local library will have copies in their 'New Zealand collection'

post-49999-024046200 1294314731.jpg

Hi Wendy Mac

Just out of interest, is the 'Yellow' line the rough firm boundary before the Kiwis were pulled out in August 1917?

or when the Wellington were pulled out. was the rooster cab never solidly held?

thanks Roger

Hi Roger, how's it going.....

21/22 June 1917 Red line, start of offensive.

1st Auckland Bn raided the northern sector of the divisional front supported by 2nd Auckland Bn and pushed forward almost 500 yards. 2nd Wellington Bn meanwhile attacked La Basse Ville further south. The Wellingtons met strong resistance and two platoons had to clear the village with bomb and bayonet. They captured but failed to hold an Estaminet on the Warneton Road called De Rooster Cabaret. From here the Germans launched three counterattacks during the afternoon against the Aucklands who had captured two of three fortified shell holes.

Yellow line completion of offensive.

End of June 1917 the Nz division was relieved by the 4th Australian Division

On 18th July 1917, the infantry moved forward again to relieve the 4th Australian Division

In the big picture preparations were being made further north for the third Ypres. Meanwhile La Basse Ville was back in the German hands and efforts were been made to recapture the village again! 31 July 1917 2nd wellington made it across the swamp to the sugar refinery south of the village and was able to captured La Basse Ville with ease. It was at this time L.Cpl L.W Andrews VC and another private undertook a reconnaissance as far towards Warneton as permitted. In the cellars of De Rooster Cabaret a couple of Germans were hiding out, our two men rushed the position and bombed the cellar. I think that was a close to Warneton as we got, three attempts were made that afternoon to take Warneton and all repulsed, the Germans were flat out shelling La Basse Ville.

I think for the remainder of time the New Zealand division had at this front they were busy strengthening the line. We were then pulled out end of August 1917 and were transported up to Lumbres, west of St Omer. So no I dont think we really actually captured and held De Rooster Cabaret.

Wendy

Hi

yeah, thats my understanding as well, the front line being mostly advanced posts. i was unsure on the rooster being one or not.

cheers rodg

Hi Wendy

i see in another tread that you were after a trench map showing the pre-Messines trenches. i have been trying to locate one and I have just come across one today. its in the NZEF Engineers Off Hist. page 120, it shows Auckland, Wellington, Waikato, Taranaki, Canterbury trenches etc to name the Kiwi ones.

if you want i can scan it and post it tomorrow.

did you have any luck getting any others?

Rodg

Hi Rodger

Would love a scan of the trench map, I didn't get the ones from Grant (nzef) he tried to send through but they were to larger a file for hotmail and I didn't ever get it. Only emailed him just recently about it again, but he could be away in France or Belgium. He spends a lot of time traveling with his photography. Post it on the original thread and I'll see it there if you like.

Here's a good sight for trench and aerial maps if your searching for one in particular.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

There's also heaps for sale on eBay as well.

Wendy

Hi,

I didn't realise the images I sent were not received. I'll reduce and send again as soon as I can.

Cheers

Grant

p.s Managed to visit Dunkirk, Calais, Boulogne & Etaples on Saturday. Only a handful to visit to complete the second book

Thanks Grant

I was just about ready to chuck my HTML account out the window, HTML have just increased each file size to 25 mb thank goodness.

Great news about the book, your certainly clocking up some miles getting around the cemeteries. Hope the weather is favorable for your photography.

Wendy

• 7 years later...

Hi all,

Its been a while since this topic was updated, but was interested in the MAP loaded by 'JacksDad' and the post:

"

G-day Kerran

see la Basseville on the overlaid old trench map. it is just south of Mesen (Messine) Belgium. The Wellingtons releived Auckland at Flattened farm and Au Chasseur Caberat area. and then advanced the line towards la Basseville

cheers rodg"

My Great Uncles were in 11th Taranaki Coy, 1st Wellington and both wounded on 31st July 1917. One, Alfred Rae died of wounds the next day.

Now 1st Wellington were mainly in support  and the Taranaki's suffered casualties from shelling on the 31st.  Possibly they were part of the small group that went in support of 2nd WN in the afternoon.

Does anyone know what part of the line 1st Wellington would have been in support? I am assuming down by Trois Farm, as this was behind 2nd Wellington.?

Thanks for any advice.