Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin, Eckener and Strasser Postcard

ZeppRaider

I bought a postcard at the weekend - it's an image that I've seen before (see the attached - which I have "borrowed" off airships.net) but it's what has been written by hand on the back of the card is of interest.

It reads "Zur Erinnerung der Besatzung L47 von Graf Zeppelin erhalten" and "Ahlhorn 2.3.17", meaning (I think) that this picture is supposed to be a souvenir of Graf Zeppelin's visit to the crew of the L47. Given that L47 wasn't commissioned until 3 May 1917 and Zeppelin actually died on 8 March 1917, I am sceptical that this note is correct.

Does anyone out there know when this picture was actually taken?

Thanks and regards

David

post-21245-074432300 1288618964.jpg

L47 might not have been commissioned yet but the crew could have been already formed and working up aboard another airship in preparation for the commissioning

cheers Martin B

Hi David

The Count is looking a bit peaky, maybe he did only have six days to go!

I have this photo in a book, but the caption says it was taken at the "Naval Airship Headquarters at Nordholz" (i.e. not Ahlhorn, or were they the same place?). It doesn't give a date. The book is "Hindenburg" by Rich Archbold; a good book, probably given that sensationalist name by the publishers as it is actually a history of all rigid airships, but I suspect it should be regarded as a secondary source at best. The photo is credited as being from Bilderdienst Sud-deutscher Verlag - whatever that means; something like "South German newspaper"? Maybe it is worth contacting that organisation and seeing if they have any more info.

Adrian

sounds like a regional photo agency

cheers Martin B

I can not answer the question but Alhorn is located near Oldenburg and Nordholz near Cuxhaven and the distance between both towns is considerable. Furthermore "Bilderdienst Süddeutscher Verlag" means "Picture Agency" or "Photo Service" of the "South German Publishing House". You can probably contact the Publishing House with the following link: http://www.sueddeutscher-verlag.de

Hope this helps.

Gents

Thank you for all your comments. I'll keep digging and will check out whatever sources I can.

The picture certsinly looks like it was taken towards the end of the Count's life.

David

David,

the same photograph is reproduced in "The Zeppelin in Combat" and captioned:

Count Zeppelin with Dr. Eckener and Korvettenkapitän Peter Strasser, on the occasion of the Count's last visit to Nordholz in late 1916.

Regards

Glenn