Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots photographs

eltoro1960

Hi John,

I don't suppose you have anything on Private David mcFetridge, No 34290, 2nd Btn Royal Scots who was killed on 3rd May, 1917 during the Arras offensive.

I am also interested in Private James Nicol. This was the name of my husband's uncle who came from Kingscavil, near Linlithgow who was in 10th Royal Scots, born 1891 and who survived the war. We know he was at Scapa Flow as well as France but nothing else sadly.

You also have a John Learmonth which is our surname. My husband's family are from Bo'ness and we wondered if there might be a connection.

Thank you for any information you may have

Sheena

Hi John,

I don't suppose you have anything on Private David mcFetridge, No 34290, 2nd Btn Royal Scots who was killed on 3rd May, 1917 during the Arras offensive.

I am also interested in Private James Nicol. This was the name of my husband's uncle who came from Kingscavil, near Linlithgow who was in 10th Royal Scots, born 1891 and who survived the war. We know he was at Scapa Flow as well as France but nothing else sadly.

You also have a John Learmonth which is our surname. My husband's family are from Bo'ness and we wondered if there might be a connection.

Thank you for any information you may have

Sheena

Nothing about David McFetridge I'm afraid. James Nicol was KIA as was John Learmonth who was from Rosewell.

John

Hi John,

Would it be possible for you to have a look for Thomas Dick M.M (Torphichen) amongst your photos please?

He started out in the 10th (cyclists) but ended up in the 12th Battalion.

Regards,

Greg.

Sorry Nothing on Thomas Dick I'm afraid.

John

Unfortunately I do not seem to get notifications from the GWF any longer about topics.

Apologies I have checked settings and should get them but don't, so please don't think I am ignoring you.

John

Hi

I have 21 newspaper pictures of men from the Royal Scots in my library of images from the Belfast Evening Telegraph - if you are interested in having copies for the Museum, let me know.

Nigel

Hi

I have 21 newspaper pictures of men from the Royal Scots in my library of images from the Belfast Evening Telegraph - if you are interested in having copies for the Museum, let me know.

Nigel

Yes please Nigel. Tom the curator is on deployment to Af just now but I am happy to accept them.

John

G'day all,

I am loving this post. I was wondering if you have come across this man? Richard Dalrymple Lauder 16th R.S. (Service) Battalion (2nd Edinburgh)

I am researching him and would love their to be a photo out there and maybe a spot of information.

Thanks in advance

Cam

Sorry John...I am being a bit cheeky

I had one other man I am researching and he is on your list

Thomson, Alan Graham Captain. I would love a photo if it is available

Kind Regards

Cam

I am looking for war records for my Grandfather, William Tait, Private in the 12th Battalion Royal Scots. He was wounded on 2 occasions, losing a leg on the second. Would you mind loading the pictures you have of the soldiers with the same name/initial from your list?

WIth many thanks;

Carol Bailey

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am writing a short biography for a publisher on an author called Frederick James Sleath who served as a Second Lieutenant in the 2nd Battn Royal Scots, with whom he served in the Ypres sector from the latter part of 1915 until he was invalided out in late spring of 1916. He was a sniping officer and may be familiar to some as the author of a fictionalised account of his service called 'Sniper Jackson', published in 1919. I am really trying to track down a photo of him, which is a long shot [excuse the pun] but any incidental information would be very gratefully received. Invariably, someone, somewhere within the forum will know something...

My thanks for any help,

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hi John

I am the secretary of the Neilston War memorial Association, We are a small group in East Renfrewshire looking to get a war memorial built in our village. One of our other goals is to put a book together with the stories and Photographs of the men to tell their story and help bring their history to life. We have some Royal Scots on our list and I would love some photos to add to the stories we are putting together, would you have any photos of the following lads?

Kind regrads Matthew Royal Scots 11th Cameron Roderick Private 12789 Royal Scots 13th Carroll James Private 14272 Royal Scots 11th Christie Charles McLean Private 12835 Royal Scots 17th Davidson Alexander Serg 40518 Royal Scots 12th Gray Peter Private 12804 Royal Scots 3rd Holmes John Private 12853 Royal Scots 13th Honeycombe William Private 15350 Royal Scots 11th Irvine Walter Private 12777 Royal Scots 12th Lafferty Alexander Private 14277 Royal Scots 12th Lawns John Private 14277 Royal Scots 11th Lindsay Arthur Serg 12784 Royal Scots 12th Logan Matt Barnes L/CPL 12505 Royal Scots 12th McIntyre John C Private 12788 Royal Scots 15th Proctor John Private 42924 Royal Scots 11th Wilson David G

Private

Hi Cam

Richard Dalrymple Lauder. I presume you have seen his MIC on Ancestry and public trees?

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Hello John,

Are the albums of pictures available for consultation at the Royal Scots Museum?

I have a copy of a photograph of Pte William Campbell (20166) of 3, 13 & 15 battalions and subsequently (P15639) of MFP. (Also previously pre-1908 in 2 Volunteer Battalion Black Watch.)

I have his record and MIC and know quite a lot about him.

The photo is an informal one at a camp somewhere and includes 5 other soldiers (and the guy rope of a tent across the front). Unfortunately I can't post the photograph as I have it on strict copyright terms with a number of others as part of a piece of academic research (now completed).

I am curious to see if it is possible to work out when and where it was taken.

Roger.

Hi John,

I can't believe that I have only just noticed this topic!

I have a couple of rellies in 16 RS - see signature. There names are not on your list, but I'd be interested in any of the group photos. See if I could hunt them down.

Thanks,

Roxy

G'day all,

I am loving this post. I was wondering if you have come across this man? Richard Dalrymple Lauder 16th R.S. (Service) Battalion (2nd Edinburgh)

I am researching him and would love their to be a photo out there and maybe a spot of information.

Thanks in advance

Cam

Cam. You may have this already. There is a photograph of 16th Bn RS in the Ewing History of the Royal Scots. and R D Lauder is in it with the rank of Major.

Aye Rob.

Hi John ,

Could you print a photo of Matthew harrower 5th Bat please.

Thank you

Davie