Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots photographs

eltoro1960

I am researching the British soldiers who died in Ireland up to 1921

The Royal Scots were stationed in Clare and had a number of deaths there. There are a number of unresolved issues that I am not sure if the Royal Scots are aware of

1. You have photos of a couple of George Robertsons. Is either this chap 3044595 George Roberton who was kidnapped and shot by IRA but whose grave was never found.

I have more on George Robertson, click on this link

Is either of your photos this chap, and do you know if his body was ever found?

2. Sgt David Findlay (Irish accounts have him as Provost Sgt) - click for more on this link on Findlay - I could not determine if his death was natural causes, the local IRA account is that he died of being beaten up

3. I have a number of other Royal Scots deaths on this link

The Royal Scots do not seem to have had a happy time in Ireland!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Sorry to ask but did you find anything on the war poet Walter Scott Lyon 9th Battalion. I do have a pic but a few more would be great. Anything else you might have to would be of help. Nigel

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm researching a soldier named John Denholm (b. 1890) who emigrated to Canada in 1912. He joined the 79th Cameron Highlanders in Winnipeg which, at the outbreak of war, became part of the 16th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He served with the 16th until he was seriously wounded in early 1916 and was eventually invalided to Canada in the autumn of 1917. Private Denholm compiled an amazing scrapbook that recorded his career from early 1914 until the end of war. In general he annotated most of the photos and ephemera however there is one postcard (attached) which was not secured in the album and contains no information.

I believe the man in the photograph is John Denholm however I have no record of him serving in the Royal Scots. Denholm and his family hailed from Moffat in Dumfries and Galloway and my understanding is he worked as a railway clerk in the local station before emigrating at age 22. The soldier pictured below looks very young so I'm wondering if he could have served in the militia. Does anyone know if there are records of those who served in the militia between 1908 and 1912? John had three younger brothers including Robert who was born in 1893 and so there is a possibility the photo is of a sibling.

Thanks very much for any help or guidance you may be able to provide!

Steve

Victoria, BC, Canada

post-57470-0-41799200-1352781465_thumb.j

Would it be possible to see a picture of 19305 Arthur McGuigan who served in the 16th Royal Scots and was presumed dead on 28 Apr 1917> His home address at the date of his enlistment was Juniper Green, Midlothian.

Thanks to Dycer for alerting me re this post, not getting emails at present.

Pte Alexander McGuigan 16th RS

John

post-12171-0-59257200-1353078029_thumb.j

Hello everyone,

I'm researching a soldier named John Denholm (b. 1890) who emigrated to Canada in 1912. He joined the 79th Cameron Highlanders in Winnipeg which, at the outbreak of war, became part of the 16th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He served with the 16th until he was seriously wounded in early 1916 and was eventually invalided to Canada in the autumn of 1917. Private Denholm compiled an amazing scrapbook that recorded his career from early 1914 until the end of war. In general he annotated most of the photos and ephemera however there is one postcard (attached) which was not secured in the album and contains no information.

I believe the man in the photograph is John Denholm however I have no record of him serving in the Royal Scots. Denholm and his family hailed from Moffat in Dumfries and Galloway and my understanding is he worked as a railway clerk in the local station before emigrating at age 22. The soldier pictured below looks very young so I'm wondering if he could have served in the militia. Does anyone know if there are records of those who served in the militia between 1908 and 1912? John had three younger brothers including Robert who was born in 1893 and so there is a possibility the photo is of a sibling.

Thanks very much for any help or guidance you may be able to provide!

Steve

Victoria, BC, Canada

Amended photo of Alex Denholm added

post-12171-0-56389800-1353086820_thumb.j

Are you sure he is John, there is a group of Denholm brothers from North Berwick who all served in the 8th. Alex immigrated to Canada and won the DCM with the Canadian Cameron Highlanders in which he was Sgt. His brothers were John, Robert and Duncan. (below) They were all Bisley Marksmen.

post-12171-0-31274800-1353079021_thumb.j

John

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the photos and your suggestion. I've attached a newspaper clipping that confirms my soldier is not Sgt. Alex Denholm. John's brothers were Robert (b 1893), James (b 1899) and Thomas (b 1901).

Cheers,

Steve

post-57470-0-12050800-1353124981_thumb.j

Notice at the bottom of the clipping actually mentions Sgt Denholm DCM and his commission ,who is not related. If he is originally from Moffat area it's a bit off my patch I'm afraid.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John, do you have anything on Allan James Private according to his MIC he was Pte 999 1/10th Royal Scots and transferred to 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers Pte 43085

thanks,

Swally

Hi John, do you have anything on Allan James Private according to his MIC he was Pte 999 1/10th Royal Scots and transferred to 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers Pte 43085

thanks,

Swally

Afraid not.

John

Afraid not.

John

Thanks John.

Do you know if Tom Gordon is still at the castle ? I sent him an E-mail a few weeks ago but haven't heard a reply?

Regards,

Swally

Hi John

Do you have the first name of this soldier. His address was 6 Albert Place Leith. My great uncle gave this as a forwarding address. My grandfather ( another brother was also in the 1/5th.

Wilson H J Corporal 5th Royal Scots photo 97 on your website

Thanks

Glen

Thanks John.

Do you know if Tom Gordon is still at the castle ? I sent him an E-mail a few weeks ago but haven't heard a reply?

Regards,

Swally

He was there at end of October when I was up. I sent him a website calendar but haven't heard back from him. He was getting deployed but that wasn't until 2013.

John

Hi John

Do you have the first name of this soldier. His address was 6 Albert Place Leith. My great uncle gave this as a forwarding address. My grandfather ( another brother was also in the 1/5th.

Thanks

Glen

Glen

I will try and look this up for you and get back in touch.

John,

Do you have any info on Pte Robert Alexander 39312, "A" Coy. 16th Bn., Royal Scots

who died age 27 on 13 May 1918 Son of Thomas and Mary Alexander, of Bo'ness, West Lothian; husband of Joan C. Alexander, of 68, South Brae Drive, Jordan Hill, Glasgow.

Thanks,

Swally

Hi John

I believe my great uncle Capt. Alexander James Wightman 7th batt. The Royal Scots is on your list of photos. Is it possible for you to attach a photo of him as I don't have one. I think he was in the Gretna Green rail crash & then went on to Gallipoli where he was wounded & was awarded the MC.

Many thanks. Liz

John,

Do you have any info on Pte Robert Alexander 39312, "A" Coy. 16th Bn., Royal Scots

who died age 27 on 13 May 1918 Son of Thomas and Mary Alexander, of Bo'ness, West Lothian; husband of Joan C. Alexander, of 68, South Brae Drive, Jordan Hill, Glasgow.

Thanks,

Swally

Sadly no, I don't have anything on Robert

John

Hi John

I believe my great uncle Capt. Alexander James Wightman 7th batt. The Royal Scots is on your list of photos. Is it possible for you to attach a photo of him as I don't have one. I think he was in the Gretna Green rail crash & then went on to Gallipoli where he was wounded & was awarded the MC.

Many thanks. Liz

Two photos Liz, here you are, he was wounded on 28th June, 1915 and evacuated, he certainly earned his MC details below

post-12171-0-47732600-1357044853_thumb.j

John

post-12171-0-26159900-1357044313_thumb.jpost-12171-0-46715400-1357044349_thumb.j

Hi John

Thanks

Glen

Nothing more in scrapbook, however he is more than likely Cpl 1505 Henry J Wilson 5/6th RS, wounded same day as Mr Wightman 7th RS above. The RS took an absolute pasting that day. Long casualty lists. Picture below.

John

post-12171-0-15356800-1357045590_thumb.j

John

I can't thank you enough for the 2 photos of my gt Uncle, AJ Wightman & the reason for his military cross. I can't tell you how pleased my family will be. Many, many thanks. A very Happy New Year to you. Liz

Sadly no, I don't have anything on Robert

John

Thanks John, it was worth a try

Swally

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Would it be possible for you to have a look for Thomas Dick M.M (Torphichen) amongst your photos please?

He started out in the 10th (cyclists) but ended up in the 12th Battalion.

Regards,

Greg.