Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots photographs

eltoro1960

Hi John

I have found my grandfather's twin brother's name on your list - John Deas, York and Lancaster. He enlisted with the Royal Scots and was somehow transferred to the Y & L Reg. I have found out quite a lot about him from the war diaries and where he served and died but no one in the family has a photo of him . If you can help I would be very grateful although I am long overdue a visit to the RS Museum anyway!

Regards

Lorna

Hi Lorna

Happy to oblige and recommend that you go to the museum, Tom is an excellent curator and very helpful :thumbsup:

Looks like he won the MM and an address in Roseneath Street.

John

post-12171-076778600 1296299472.jpg

Thanks John, you have made my day!

I knew about the MM but havent been able to find out why he was awarded it.

I do have a photo of my grandfather Sam Deas who was also in the Royal Scots if you are interested for your collection. I haven't been able to find out so much about his service as yet apart from his medal card.

Thanks again

Lorna

John

I'd love to see photographs of the two Meikle's on your list if possible.

TIA

David

Thanks John, you have made my day!

I knew about the MM but havent been able to find out why he was awarded it.

I do have a photo of my grandfather Sam Deas who was also in the Royal Scots if you are interested for your collection. I haven't been able to find out so much about his service as yet apart from his medal card.

Thanks again

Lorna

Hi Lorna

I would appreciate a picture of your Grandfather, you will find a email link on my website, if you could send it through that I would be obliged.

John

John

I'd love to see photographs of the two Meikle's on your list if possible.

TIA

David

Hi David

Happy to oblige,both KIA

John

post-12171-019127100 1296590543.jpg post-12171-002605800 1296590530.jpg

Amazing stuff John

Many thanks

David

• 5 months later...

John. I wonder if you had anything on the soldiers listed below. I am trying to help out a friend in Belgium who is in the midst of doing a graves project. The soldiers are as follows

Lt John Blackie MC. 8th Bn RS. KIA. 22-10-18.

19203. Pte C Ferguson. 11th Bn RS. KIA 22-10-18.

59479. Pte David Dick. 12th Bn. RS. KIA. 22-10-18.

40757. Sgt.W Laidlaw. MM. 12th RS.KIA 21-10-18.

Any information on these lads would be great many thanks in advance.

Aye Rob. B.

Rob,

Can you confirm Lt. Blackie's date of death and Battalion served please.

He is not mentioned in the 8th R.S. War Diary as dying on that day or included in the October 1918 Casualty return nor is he listed,in the Battalion History,as a recipient of the MC, whilst serving with the 8th RS.

George

Hi George funny thing I just checked Ewing's History of the Royal Scots and he is not listed in it? SDGW lists him Royal Scots (Lothian Bn) 8th TR death date 22-10-18. No mention of MC. CWGC lists him 8th Bn attached 11th Bn with the same death date 22-10-18 lists MC.

Aye Rob.

Srg. Patrick Hagan is a name I am intrested in I have his Mic and service papers, is there anything else you can add to that, he played for the football team I support here in Belfast and will feature in a wee booklet a few of us are putting together and will also feature on a new mem going up in the ground in the comming months

Hi Steven

I have attached two photos of Pat , as you can see he played for Hibernian FC in Edinburgh, no accompanying article I'm afraid, it's looks like he is sporting a MM Ribbon. Maybe Hibs will have something more on him.

John

post-12171-0-16633200-1312629884.jpg

Hi John,

If at all possible I'd be glad to see photographs of the two Wisharts you have on the list.

Kind regards and thanks,

Scott Wishart

John I wonder if I could stretch you're very kind offer of RS look ups by adding another two names.

51461 Pte Henry McKay 12th Bn. KIA 22-10-19. Born Hamilton Lanarkshire Scotland (Formerly 38954 Scottish Rifles)

36728 Sgt Archibald Angus Shaw MM. 11th Bn. KIA 20-10-19. Born Jura Argyllshire. (Formerly 24556 Royal Scots Fusiliers. MM)

Many thanks in advance Aye Rob.

John. I wonder if you had anything on the soldiers listed below. I am trying to help out a friend in Belgium who is in the midst of doing a graves project. The soldiers are as follows

Lt John Blackie MC. 8th Bn RS. KIA. 22-10-18.

19203. Pte C Ferguson. 11th Bn RS. KIA 22-10-18.

59479. Pte David Dick. 12th Bn. RS. KIA. 22-10-18.

40757. Sgt.W Laidlaw. MM. 12th RS.KIA 21-10-18.

Any information on these lads would be great many thanks in advance.

Aye Rob. B.

Rob I have photos of Lt Blackie, Pte Ferguson and Pte Mckay , nothing for the rest I'm afraid. There appears to be an issue with attachments since the problems over the last few days. I can't attach photos at present :(

Hi John,

If at all possible I'd be glad to see photographs of the two Wisharts you have on the list.

Kind regards and thanks,

Scott Wishart

There appears to be an issue with attachments since the problems over the last few days. I can't attach photos at present :(

Hi John, hope you don't mind, but I've added a post to my blog about the scrapbook.

http://scottishmilit...-digitised.html

Not a problem in the slightest David.

John

PS my friend is going to join the SWM Forum using her college ID when she returns from hols.

A big puplic Thank-You to John for taking the time to send me photographs he was for some unknown reason unable to post on the forum. Many thanks mate.

Aye Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Kind regards and thanks,

Scott Wishart

Hi Scott , I appeared to have misfiled one of the Wishart's if I find him I will add him to post.

John

post-12171-0-29341300-1312647514.jpg

Hi John,

I am researching my wife's family and her great grandfather was Sgt R Torrie of the 5th Btn Royal Scots, who was killed at Gallipoli.

If at all possible, could you please send me a copy of his photo?

Many thanks

Neil Macknight

Hi John,

I am researching my wife's family and her great grandfather was Sgt R Torrie of the 5th Btn Royal Scots, who was killed at Gallipoli.

If at all possible, could you please send me a copy of his photo?

Many thanks

Neil Macknight

Happy to oblige and welcome to the Forum , your wife will have a large family, he left a widow and 10 kids.

John

post-12171-0-30067000-1313089867.jpg

Thank you very much John- greatly appreciated!

It looks as though we have some major researching to do into the family.

Kind regards,

Neil

Hi, I know this is for the Royal Scots, but does anyone know of other resources that would provide the equivalent information and pictures for other battalion regiments that served in the war (such as 32nd Royal Fusiliers or 1/17th London Rifles?) Just a thought!

What you've got here looks really interesting, even though it is not about my soldiers, Keep it up!

Hi, I know this is for the Royal Scots, but does anyone know of other resources that would provide the equivalent information and pictures for other battalion regiments that served in the war (such as 32nd Royal Fusiliers or 1/17th London Rifles?) Just a thought!

What you've got here looks really interesting, even though it is not about my soldiers, Keep it up!

I don't know is the honest answer, the Royal Scots Museum were fortunate to fall heir to a set of scrapbooks maintained by an ex-member of the 6th Volunteers, Robert Black, from Penicuik in Midlothian. Sadly someone was loaned two books for mid 1916 a few years back and they cannot be traced now, which means that most of the Somme casualties are missing. The originals are going to be tucked away for safe keeping soon, and the electronic ones used so as to extend the life of these books. It took about 4 months to digitise and catalogue the photos, couldn't even think about index the text, that would be mind blowing. :blink:

John

Thanks anyway John, i didn't think it was very likely but I thought I'd try! :)

• 2 months later...