Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment in Italy

SRM

Hi!I`m working at the Staffordshire Regiment Museum in Lichfield. I`m Italian and I`m doing a research about the British Army intervent in Italy during 1917-1919. I` m quite interest in every kind of story, object or information about that, expecially about the 1st and the 9th Battalions of the South Staffordshire Regiment, who served in the 7th and 23rd Division of the British Expeditionary Forces in the Piave area. If you have any diary, letter, book of object related to this, I would be very pleased to see it, or just have a copy of that!

Of course, I can also help you in some research in the archives of the Museum. If anyone is interested in taking contacts with me, could write here or call the followings:

Thank you!

Chiara Molinari

cmgmolinari@libero.it

The Staffordshire Regiment Museum

Whittington Barracks

Lichfield

Tel: 01543 434394

Fax: 01543 434391

Good luck, Chiara. If you search this forum, you will find a member who is the grandson of William English-Murphy (later William Murphy), who commanded the 1st Battalion in Italy. I have been in touch with him before (as I am interested in 1st Battalion and have been for many years), and he is most interesting and helpful. I am sure it would be good to make contact.

Thank you!I found him, and I` trying to get in contact with him, but my forum account seems not to work well..anyway, this is my email, if someone would like to send me any kind of information!

cmgmolinari@libero.it

I`m looking for photos, diaries, letters, documents...

Best regards!

Chiara

• 1 year later...

I am looking for information about my Wifes Grandfather and the actual sitation for his Medals which were won in Italy 1918,if you can help please contact me

Kind regards

Eric White

JohnHinton

Army

Number 13949 Private

1stBattalion South Staffordshire Regiment Infantry

Enlisted8thSeptember 1914

(Transferredto Army Reserve 21stFebruary 1919)

South StaffsRegiment

MilitaryMedal 11thNovember 1918

(Level3 Gallantry Award)

Institutedon 25thMarch 1916 (and backdated to 1914).

TheMilitary Medal was awarded to other ranks of the British Army andCommonwealth Forces. It was an award for gallantry and devotion toduty when under fire in battle on land.

Onthe reverse of the medal is inscribed “For Bravery in the Field”.Recipients of the medal are entitled to use the letters M.M. aftertheir name.

TheMilitary Medal is the British Army equivalent of the DistinguishedConduct Medal (D.C.M.), the Distinguished Flying Medal (D.F.M.) andthe Air Force Medal (A.F.M.).

London Gazette

Date: 26 November 1918Issue number: Page number: 1224

13949 Private JohnHinton.

1st BattalionSouth Staffordshire Regiment

August1914 : in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. Returned to England,landing Southampton 19 September 1914.

Attached to 22nd Brigade in7th Division. Moved to Lyndhurst.

6 October 1914 : Landed atZeebrugge.

20 December 1915 : transferred to 91st Brigade in sameDivision.

November 1917 : moved with Division to Italy.

Croceal Merito di Guerra (War Merit Cross)

Gennaio1918 n 205

Croceal Merito di Guerra (War Merit Cross) Awarded to members of the armedforces for war merit in operations on land, sea or in the air, afterminimum one year of service in the trenches or elsewhere, in contactwith an enemy.

Thisbronze cross was instituted by King Victor Emanuel III on 19 January1918 and was also awarded to those who, wounded in combat, were giventhe Medal of the Wounded or to those who, mentioned for war merit,received a promotion.

London Gazette

Date: 26 November 1918Issue number: 31039 Page number: 14100

13949 Private JohnHinton.

Looking for information on

John Hinton 13949 private

1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment

Won Military Medal and Italian

Croceal Merito di Guerra (War Merit Cross)

Have information on Gazzette pages etc but need to know if there is a citation for his actions

Citations were not published for the MM and Italian honours.

The battalion war diary mentions that the Croce di Guerra was presented to John Hinton MM by the divisional commander at S. Marco on 10 October 1918. The entry for 11 September 1918 mentions that he been awarded this honour for his part in operations at Canove, Asiago Plateau, on 8-9 August 1918. The entry for 8-9 August says that he was awarded the MM for this same action.

And I must comment on your quoted "TheMilitary Medal is the British Army equivalent of the DistinguishedConduct Medal (D.C.M.)". Oh no it is not! Not a British DCM anyway.

Chris Thank you for taking the time to reply.The Qoutes regarding the MM was taken off the Military Medals site on the internet not my own thoughts as I am relatively new to this subject.

It is great to have a few more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle

Again Thank you

Eric White

Citations were not published for the MM and Italian honours.

The battalion war diary mentions that the Croce di Guerra was presented to John Hinton MM by the divisional commander at S. Marco on 10 October 1918. The entry for 11 September 1918 mentions that he been awarded this honour for his part in operations at Canove, Asiago Plateau, on 8-9 August 1918. The entry for 8-9 August says that he was awarded the MM for this same action.

And I must comment on your quoted "TheMilitary Medal is the British Army equivalent of the DistinguishedConduct Medal (D.C.M.)". Oh no it is not! Not a British DCM anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Chiara, I am relatively new to this brilliant site and I am researching my great uncle and have posted a question concerning his campaigns he was in and were he was killed, but thinking he died in Salonika I had some amazing feedback off people who also told me he was killed in Italy, and I wondered if you could help anymore here are some of the details:

SGT.William Albert Haycock South Staffs regiment no: 203479 died 09 August 1918

died in the village of Canove, he is commemorated on the Giavera memorial in Italy.

I really appreciate if you can add to this thankyou Peter Lawlor

Here is the 1st Battalion War Diary for August 1918:

1st The battalion occupied hutments at M. SERONA. Training was carried out in the vicinity of the camp. Captain G. BYGRAVE M.C. assumed duties of Acting-Adjutant.

Weather fine.

2nd & 3rd Usual routing and training was carried out at M. SERONA. The Bn. Concert Party gave a performance on the evening of the 2nd inst. arranged by 2/Lieut. G.M. ADDISON.

Weather fine.

4th The Battalion relieved the 8th Bn. DEVON Regt. in support at MAGNABOSCHI and occupied hutments on the hillside. Weather fine.

5th At MAGNABOSCHI. Training continued and Working parties found. Weather showery.

6th Usual routine and training carried out. Working parties also found. Reinforcements 1 Other Rank.

Weather fine.

7th Companies carried out special practices for the attack. Work was also continued in conjunction with R.Es. Weather fine.

8th & 9th Major-General T.H. SHOUBRIDGE C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. Commanding 7th Division addressed the Battalion on the forthcoming operations. The Battalion in conjunction with raids of other Battalions of the Division raided CANOVE on night of 8/9th. Zero hour 12 midnight. They succeeded in getting into the village, inflicting considerable losses on the enemy who refused to leave their dugouts. Heavy Machine Gun fire prevented the raiding party deploying from the village, and raiding the CEMETERY as was the original intention. The raiding party returned at 2.0 a.m. No. prisoners 27 (including 2 Officers). Our Casualties during the raid were as follows: - 2/Lieut. J.H. DREW wounded, 2/Lieut. G.M. ADDISON wounded, 2/Lieut. W.E. GIBBONS wounded, 2/Lieut. J. SALT wounded, 2/Lieut B. HOULT wounded (remained at duty), Lieut. T.N. WOOF wounded (remained at duty). 2/Lieut. G.M. ADDISON Died of wounds in hospital 9.8.1918 Other Ranks: - Killed 1, Died of Wounds 3, Wounded 43, Wounded (at duty) 5, Missing 4. The following awards were made for gallantry in the Field on the night of 8/9th.

THE MILITARY CROSS 2/Lieut. J. SALT. DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL No. 8479 C.Q.M.S. (a/C.S.M.) T. BILLS M.M. MILITARY MEDAL No. 13949 Pte. J. HINTON No. 28049 L/Cpl. J. RIDGEWAY

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo peter, for more informations on Giavera British Cemetery visit the website www.museoemotivo.org

Pierluigi Sanzovo

Curator of the

Emotional Museum of the Great War

Giavera del Montello (TV)

ITALY

Hello Chiara, I am relatively new to this brilliant site and I am researching my great uncle and have posted a question concerning his campaigns he was in and were he was killed, but thinking he died in Salonika I had some amazing feedback off people who also told me he was killed in Italy, and I wondered if you could help anymore here are some of the details:

SGT.William Albert Haycock South Staffs regiment no: 203479 died 09 August 1918

died in the village of Canove, he is commemorated on the Giavera memorial in Italy.

I really appreciate if you can add to this thankyou Peter Lawlor

• 11 months later...

My Grandfather LCpl Robert Burton was on the Vaister Raid and was awarded the Military Medal. His father who was 54 in 1915 and was a veteran of the Egyptian campaign in 1885 and both Boer Wars, was a survivor of the sinking of HMT Royal Edward, the first troopship sunk during WW1, he was sent to Gallipoli two weeks later and was wounded and lost his right leg.

Two other sons also served, one KIA on the first day of the Somme and the second served on the Salonika Front.

• 1 year later...

I have just found another great uncle G william Ishmael 42073 who was in the 1st south staffs and went to Italy,

Another one to research and I have not really started on the otherside of my family :huh:

• 5 months later...
Guest t_haycock1943

Hello Chiara, I am relatively new to this brilliant site and I am researching my great uncle and have posted a question concerning his campaigns he was in and were he was killed, but thinking he died in Salonika I had some amazing feedback off people who also told me he was killed in Italy, and I wondered if you could help anymore here are some of the details:SGT.William Albert Haycock South Staffs regiment no: 203479 died 09 August 1918died in the village of Canove, he is commemorated on the Giavera memorial in Italy.I really appreciate if you can add to this thankyou Peter Lawlor

Hi Peter

William Haycock was my grandfather. I have limited knowledge of him and would like to find out more.

Regards

Tony Haycock