Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

180th Machine Gun Company

alfox

My great uncle, NORMAN HENRY OXENHAM, was comander of the 180th Machine Gun Company (180th Infantry Brigade, 60th (2/2 London) Division) in the Salonika Campaign and later in Palestine.

I have a photo of him relaxing in a trench in the rear - apparently in Salonika, but know not much else about his movements or involvement in the Salonika Campaign, although I have been told that the company participated in the Battle of Dojran.

I also have Captain Gilbert's "Romance of the Last Crusade" in which my great uncle is mentioned, but although it is a fun read, I don't think it is too reliable

Does anyone have any information about my great uncle or the comapny he commanded with specific reference to the Salonika Campaign?

Regards,

Alan Oxenham

• 10 years later...

My grandfather, FREDERICK ERNEST TAYLOR, was a private in the Machine Gun Corps (180th Company) and served in the Salonika campaign. I'd be interested if anybody has any information about the unit's activities there.

• Admin
57 minutes ago, Christopher Taylor said:

My grandfather, FREDERICK ERNEST TAYLOR, was a private in the Machine Gun Corps (180th Company) and served in the Salonika campaign. I'd be interested if anybody has any information about the unit's activities there.

Welcome to the forum

It’s always recommended to have a look at the Long Long Trail link top right, on how to research a soldier.

180 MG Company was in 180 Brigade 60th (2/2 London) Division

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/60th-division/

At the bottom of the page you will see a link to N and M Press reprint of the Divisional History.

Dubbed, ‘The Gardeners of Salonika’ an insulting epithet with ironic pride, the accessible account is ‘Under the Devil’s Eye’ Alan Wakefield currently the Kindle version is discounted at Amazon Under the Devil’s Eye

There is also a Salonika Campaign Society, it’s emblem is the mosquito, malaria was endemic in the theatre causing more casualties than enemy action.

https://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk

There are a few men named Frederick Taylor the  MG Corps. If you know his Regimental number and post it here it may help track his service.

The war diary fo their brief sojourn in France can be downloaded for free if you register

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355287

The Salonika Diaries have no been digitised.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Christopher Taylor said:

Thanks very much.

His regimental number is 45487. D.o.b. 12.9.1880.

You're in luck he has surviving papers on Find My Past (FMP) and presumably Ancestry.

Headlines are:-

Attested 26.11.1915 (Derby or Group Scheme)

Mobilised 3.6.16 to 15 Royal Fusiliers

Transferred MGC 28.7.16

Posted to 180 Company and BEF 27.8.16 to 30.11.16

Embarked with Division to Salonika 1.12.16 -10.12.16.

Remained in Salonika (posted 178 Company 21.1.17.) until

Invalided to UK 15 .12.18 ( first admitted 19.10.18. 'fever not yet diagnosed'  malaria)

His papers on disembarkation are stamped MGC Third Echelon, this usually means line of communication in Salonika probably defensive positions within 'the Birdcage' the huge defences around the port.  He was then posted to 178 Company as above and remained with them until admitted to hospitasl and repatriation.

There are in fact two sets of papers on FMP the second set referring to a rejection for a pension as a consequence of malaria.

Thanks again.

I have these papers but thanks for the additional explanation, especially what the information in them implies for his service in Salonika.

They turned him down for a pension – the recurrent malaria attacks, asphyxia and headaches only amounted to a 20% disablement, in the official view.

Thanks very much.

His regimental number is 45487. D.o.b. 12.9.1880.