Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fireman Jesse White, Mercantile Marine

Andy Wade

Bloody hell, I completely missed this thread, just learned about it via Louise. I really should pay more attention!

Anyway, very well done Chris. This is very good news indeed, another Great War mystery solved.

I wonder (not trying to start another line of enquiry by the way!) whether Jesse has any living descendents? He was married, wonder if he had children?

It's possible there's another 'Mona' (Harry Lund's great niece) out there

Excellent work team

His age on CWGC is correct & the burial register entry is in error.

My thanks for to everyone for all of their kind comments. This has been yet another example of GWF team work.

Chris

Well done

Would this be the second IFTC sucess in Southampton Old Cemetery, could there be more waiting to be found in that location.

14 graves had already been found at Southampton Old from the crew of the Asturias; I would not mind the chance to have a look through the cemetery register for this location just to see who else could be found

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting thread this has turned out. Well done to ALL concerned but particularly Chris Harley who I see is still hard at work finding all these important lost souls.

Neil

I never really stop; even holidays are partially devoted to these lads. Cheers for the comments mate

Chris

• 1 month later...

Name: WHITE, JESSE

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: H.M.H.S. "Glenart Castle" (Southampton)

Date of Death: 26/02/1918

Additional information: Son of Francis and Jessie White; husband of Helena Mary White (nee Penny), of 4, Chapel Rd., St. Mary's, Southampton. Born at Southampton.

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Fireman White is buried here.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Section 147. Plot N. Grave 295.

Cemetery: SOUTHAMPTON OLD CEMETERY

His new entry on CWGC

Chris

Congratulations on some fine detective work and a great result.

Mel

Ps Just a minor quibble - the Additional Information still remains a bit garbled - Jesse was the dad and Frances the mum.

Tremendous news Chris. I'll be raising a glass to his memory tonight.

Not forgotten. :poppy:

Chris

Congratulations on some fine detective work and a great result.

Mel

Ps Just a minor quibble - the Additional Information still remains a bit garbled - Jesse was the dad and Frances the mum.

Mel

thats one we will not get changed as there was a NOK verification form returned. Pleased with this result & now look forward to the crew of the Asturias getting their place of commemoration moved to Southampton

Chris

• 2 months later...

May He & all the others that lost their lives that day Rest In Peace

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I am arriving late to this.. However I am researching my family tree, Jesse White was my Dad's cousin so my 1st cousin 1 x removed. I have located his grave details as Southampton and then found this thread. 

My Auntie remembers his mother Frances (Fanny) who was sadly killed at home in Southampton during the bombing of the city during WW2.  I felt quite sad to see that Jesse had been killed, but it is heart warming to see that the people involved in this thread have cared what happened to him too.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2969965/WHITE, JESSE

J White Graves Registration Report 2010.jpg

Jesse White Mercantile Marine Memorial.jpg

Jessie White 1890 to 1918.JPG

Jesse White CWGC.JPG

WHITE_JESSE Commemorative Certificate.pdf

Edited by Guest

It is always a pleasure to find any of these men.

Chris

Yes, I'm really glad we went the extra mile from the Harry Lund thread and looked into Jesse White as well. So pleased to see his family are aware too Tracy.:poppy:

• 4 months later...

IMG_0335.JPG

Jesse's headstone. His cousin 2x removed found this for me and took a picture. I'm still to visit, but I will hopefully visit before September. Thanks again xx

Thank you Tracy, it's great to see him finally being recognised for his service and his sacrifice. :poppy:

Likewise Tracy my thanks for the photo