Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal WWII

RNCVR

Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal (NVSM) WWII

I wonder if there has been any discussion on this medal in the past that I have missed??

As Newfoundland did not become a part of Canada until 1949, servicemen in Newfoundland were not entitled to the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, unless they served in the Canadian Forces.

I have an Geo VI RNR LS medal to a Newfoundlander - I think he would be entitled to the NVSM - I think the NVSM was awarded in 1981 to surviving vets & assume that a vet would have to apply for it - does any one know for sure??

& I also wonder are Service Records for Newfoundlanders available? I wrote to the Newfoundland archives & recd no reply. Apparently they are not held by the PAC, & I have been told by a UK researcher that they are not in the PRO either.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal (NVSM) WWII

I wonder if there has been any discussion on this medal in the past that I have missed??

As Newfoundland did not become a part of Canada until 1949, servicemen in Newfoundland were not entitled to the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, unless they served in the Canadian Forces.

I have an Geo VI RNR LS medal to a Newfoundlander - I think he would be entitled to the NVSM - I think the NVSM was awarded in 1981 to surviving vets & assume that a vet would have to apply for it - does any one know for sure??

& I also wonder are Service Records for Newfoundlanders available? I wrote to the Newfoundland archives & recd no reply. Apparently they are not held by the PAC, & I have been told by a UK researcher that they are not in the PRO either.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

I remember the initial instituton of this medal;It did have to be claimed by surviving Newfoundlanders,I am not sure of the Regulations regarding N~o~K of those who DOAS;I will dig out the relevant article & like McArthur;I will return! :rolleyes:

Thanks Harry - any idea where their SR's might be located?

Apparently they are not held in PAC.

Bryan

Thanks Harry - any idea where their SR's might be located?

Apparently they are not held in PAC.

Bryan

I'll try to find out?

I have had a quick on line search,& found the site of Veterans Affairs {VAC}

<http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca>It might be prudent to contact them directly by e Mail,I am sure they will point you in the right direction,I also learnt something! there are bars for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Dieppe & for Hong Kong!so thanks for getting me to search!

Thanks for the info Harry - I'll see what I can do at that site.

I knew there were Dieppe & Hong Kong bars to the CVSM I have seen both on ebay, & they go for big$$! I think there is a Normandy bar also, but cannot say for sure as I dont collect WWII so am not knowledgable there.

I see pics on tele & in mags of WWII vets wearing a hell of a lot of "unofficial"?? medals, especially at the latest D Day celebrations.

Bryan

Hi Bryan

We had a short-lived thread concerning the unofficial medals being worn by British and Canadian veterans during the D-Day commemorations, with mixed views.

Had a look on some of the larger medal dealers' sites and found that ANYONE who served in British & Commonwealth forces, especially the WW2- 1963 era, is eligible for about three different, privately made and completely unofficial medals: General Service Cross, Volunteer Service Medal, National Service Medal, British Army of Rhine (BAOR) Medal if served in Germany; a Submarine Service Medal -for just serving aboard subs - and a naval medal for those who joined the Navy and surprisingly got a draft to a ship at some point in their careers!

A guy who spent his national service peeling spuds in Aldershot or Hannover could now strut around like a South American dictator. Still, all leads to a healthy economy I 'spose.

They retail for £50-80 a piece, without extras and naming. Words like 'Money for old rope' and 'there's one born every minute' spring to mind.

Must dash - the football beckons!

Richard

Bryan.

Part of my late fathers service during WW2 was with the 59th (Newfoundland) Heavy Regt RA, and also with the 166th (Newfoundland) Field Regt RA, as such I have found several web-sites regarding same, and have seen several veterans wearing the medal you mention, I have also seen photographs of the medal posted by relatives of men kia.

The medals of Gnr John Edmund Dawe kia 27/1/45 being amongst them, including Canadian Memorial Cross, his service medals and the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal.

My father was Welsh, otherwise I would have tried to get a medal to add to his, even though he himself had no interest in them.

David.

Thanks for the info fellows -

So if you have to apply for it, is the NVSM officially issued by the Canadian Gov't?

or is it classified as an 'unofficial' medal as those you mention Richard.

I did not know about the Submariners medal -sure new one to me, but I have been out of them for a long time & long out of touch - what in heaven's name is this one's specs??? :unsure: & can you post a scan of one??

Bryan

Thanks for the info fellows -

So if you have to apply for it, is the NVSM officially issued by the Canadian Gov't?

or is it classified as an 'unofficial' medal as those you mention Richard.

I did not know about the Submariners medal -sure new one to me, but I have been out of them for a long time & long out of touch - what in heaven's name is this one's specs??? :unsure: & can you post a scan of one??

Bryan

No though a very belated issue it is an Official Award & would have to be applied for to the Relevant Canadian Government Department,{I think the anomaly arose as @ the time of WW2 Newfoundland was a Seperate entity to Canada,& consequently its Veterans felt left out regarding WW2 Service awards,hence its very belated institution in the 1990s,Good Luck if applying!

I doubt I could apply for it Harry - I only have his LS medal - he is likely deceased by now. Would like to get a copy of his SR if I can find out where they are located. I was more interested in if he would be entitled to the NVSM - someone told me these medals are numbered (apparently impressed) but not named - is that corrrect & have you ever seen one?

thanks,

Bryan

The service record for Newfoundlanders should be in the National Archives in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. My grandfather served in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in the First World War and I obtained his service record from them.

The NVSM was issued unnamed and I can't find any mention that they were numbered.

The medal was established by the Provincial Government of Newfoundland. It would be considered a Newfoundland medal rather than a Canadian medal. A google search for "Newfoundland Volunteer War Service Medal" will show a link to the Provincial Government of Newfoundland's award criteria for the medal.

I doubt I could apply for it Harry - I only have his LS medal - he is likely deceased by now. Would like to get a copy of his SR if I can find out where they are located. I was more interested in if he would be entitled to the NVSM - someone told me these medals are numbered (apparently impressed) but not named - is that corrrect & have you ever seen one?

thanks,

Bryan

The closest I came was the appearance of one on E Bay last week,in a job lot of Odd Stars etc,it made a reasonably low sum I believe around £200 the lot,there was no mention of it being numbered

Hi Bryan,

Here is a link to a site flogging this prestigious award:

http://www.coinwatch.co.uk/award/submarine.html

(The Company may suggest you buy one for each of the many submariner groups you possess - probably only cost you a few hundred quid, without extras of course. :lol: )

Seems pretty much geared towards the UK, Canadian and Australian markets given the Cold War O Class SSK on the design.

Cheers

Richard

Harry,

Could you send me the ebay lot number of this lot you saw - I have never really seen a NVSM & would like to see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Bryan