Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Some Sea Officers of the Great War'

burlington

This card was found in the possessions of my wife's late aunt whose mutual relative worked in the Admiralty during WW1.

The card originally must have had a ribbon to hold it together and is in 3 parts.

Anyone seen something like this before? Value, if any?- NOT that we are interested of course. It is a 'family' thing.

post-1268-037781800 1287495141.jpg

post-1268-034874600 1287495211.jpg

post-1268-090470600 1287495282.jpg

By the way, the pinkish background is due to the scanner. In fact the card background is a beigy colour.

post-21239-048872300 1287846055.jpgThese naval greetings cards are usually made in two parts, an outer part made of folded card with a ship's crest & name, & an inner part made of folded printed paper for the greeting, & usually but not always, a photograph of the ship or a naval scene. The two parts are held together by a ribbon pierced through the two parts or a piece of coloured string around the fold.

As an example, attached should be a card sent from DEFIANCE post 1931. I don't usually pay much for them, this one is marked up at £2. The card you have appears to be missing the outer cover & ribbon/string.

David.

The inside of the card.

David.

post-21239-025148700 1287846557.jpg

• 1 month later...

This card was found in the possessions of my wife's late aunt whose mutual relative worked in the Admiralty during WW1.

The card originally must have had a ribbon to hold it together and is in 3 parts.

Anyone seen something like this before? Value, if any?- NOT that we are interested of course. It is a 'family' thing.

It may not be rare but it's certainly a nice item to have, considering the National Portrait Gallery have hidden the actual painting away for years (why they don't put it on display with the painting of the Generals I don't know).

Simon