Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

II Canadian General Hospital @ Le Treport Aug 15

meadowsboy

Anybody any photos and the exact location of the hospital.

My Gr Grandfather was operated on & died in this hospital in August 1915. I went to his grave last year and would like to return and possibly visit the site of the hospital.

thank you

David

David I have some photographs that may be of interest to you, send me a PM with your Email addy and I will send them to you.

Aye Rob.

Just bringing this to the top..Had some problem with my message box, so David. Are you still interested in photographs of Le Treport and No2 CG.Hosp.

Rob

Here are some websites and online books which should provide some additional information. Borden Battery

War Story of the Canadian Army Medical Corps

This is a very comprehensive "on-line" book on the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the Great War. This on-line book of some 300 pages [with text, figures and footnotes] includes the following chapters an Introduction, Rise of the CAMC, Assembly at Valcartier, Salisbury Plain, With the BEF in France, Second Battle of Ypres (Gas), Festubert, Givenchy, Plugstreet, Establishment of Hospitals in France, Stationary Hospitals and Other Medical Units. [Recommendation by marc leroux / www.canadianGreatWarProject.com][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/adami/camc/camc.html

The Royal Army Medical Corps

The Royal Army Medical Corps was formed on the 23rd June 1898. The formation was the merger of the former Medical Staff with the Medical Staff Corps thus uniting the Senior Officers with the lower ranks. This website provides general overview sections, medical units and personal soldier profiles from each unit. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://ramc-ww1.com/index.html

Canadian Medical Association Journal - Archives

The Canadian Medical Association Journal has been published continuously since 1911 and there are several editions from the 1914-1919 period and beyond that provide some insight into the thinking and actions of the medical profession associated with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in Europe and the work back in Canada. The reader will have to scroll down to the bottom of the page on this website to access the archival documents. [Recommended by Avidgenie][CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/journals/77/

Hospitals and Casualty Clearing StationsBEF

The website includes eighteen direct photostats of documents, dated 13th. July 1923 which were sent from the Ministry of Pensions to the British Red Cross Society Records Office. Theses typed pages give the names of the locations, in alphabetical order, dates and positions of the various Hospitals or Casualty Clearing Stations on the Western Front for the British Expeditionary Force. The names of these medical units are as follows: Bac-Du-Sud-La to Boisleux-au-Mont, Bonn to Bussy - Le- Chateau. Calais to Chocques. Clerques to Don, Duai to Etaples, Etaples to Gezaincourt, Gezaincourt to Hazebrouk, Hazebrouk to Le Quesnoy, Le Touquet to Lozinghem, Mallasise to Moulle, Namps to Paris Plage, Pernes to Recmenil Farm, Remy to Roziere, Rouitz to Sweveghem, Tincourt to Versailles. This material may be of use to researchers trying to verify hospital and CCS locations. [CEF Study Group – Updated Aug 2006]

http://www.vlib.us/medical/CCS/ccs.htm

Military Medicine on the Western Front

Dr Eric Webb MB Bchir - 31st October 2001

This short summary of military medicine on the Western Front provides a quick read on the topic. This account takes as its chief source Medical Services - Casualties & Medical Statistics, the final volume of the Official Medical History of the War, originally published in 1931 and reprinted by The Imperial War Museum [iSBN: 1 870423 23 8]. [CEF Study Group - August 2006]

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/drericwebb/docs/mgw.htm

Hello David

Attached is a plan of the complex which was sited behind the Trianon Hotel on the cliff tops above Le Treport. The Hotel was built in 1910 and used as part of a Hospital complex which, the plan shows, was a number of Hospitals. The Germans destroyed the Hotel in WW2. The area is now covered by a housing estate.

The local cemetary was initially used for burials but later on the Mont Huon Cemetery was created, this is a couple of miles out of town towards Dieppe and is set on a high plateau.

Because of the image size of the plan I will have to do an additional post of one of the Photos of the Hospital. There are many available if you Google. The town was a popular holiday centre and the French have a nostalgia for it which means there are sites dedicated to its history and you will also discover photos of the Trianon on these sites.

Kevin

post-46134-038670900 1288167507.jpg

David

A photo of the Le Treport complex as promised. Also worth looking for Nurses Diaries, particularly Canadian. They moved around various hospitals and a number of diaries refer to Le Treport.

Kevin

post-46134-051686700 1288168124.jpg

Thank you very much just what I was after.

I have a letter written by a Canadian Nursing Sister Carola Douglas who I have researched.

Thanks again

David

David.

Postcard of Le Treport with the Hotel that was used as a Hospital. And the cemetery in the foreground date unknown.

Rob

post-56-033183000 1288809156.jpg

Another photograph admission area No2 Can Hosp Le Treport.

Aye Rob.

post-56-052837000 1288809472.jpg

David,

Another one No2 Can Gen Hosp Huts Le Treport. The Hotel can be seen in the background (British Gen Hosp)

Aye Rob

post-56-052033400 1288809685.jpg

Nursing Sisters No2 Can Hosp.

Aye Rob.

post-56-022409100 1288810376.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Numberfour

Hi David

I have just joined this site,after reading your mention of a letter you have, written by Nursing Sister Carola Douglas.

I have a copy of a postcard that Carola sent from France to Miss Nita Douglas.Is this the same item?

Carola was my husband's great aunt,and I have also researched her story.

Are you a member of the Douglas family?

Best regards

Anne

• 2 years later...

Dave,

I hope you don't mind but I copied a few of your photos you posted, re: Le Treport Canadian Hosp.,for personal use only.

My great Uncle, John"Jack" Richardson Waldie 1885- 1958 was sent directly over in 1915,he was a young male nurse,with Dr's skills.

He stayed there till demobilization in1919.

Previous to his Canadian enlistment ,he was with the,"Borders Rifle Ambulance" Hawick Rox.,Scotland….I believe it was at "Stobs"…I need to research that further.

Then being sent to England and then returning home to Canada and then later being employed in Rochester,N.Y.,USA

Thanks for the photos Ann

At a guess, "Stobs" is Stobo Castle near Peebles, which served as a hospital during the GW.