Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Aces High' - The film

Mr Wig

I remember when the the film 'Aces High' was released...

After all these years, I still haven't seen it.:whistle:

What's the verdict, is it worthwhile having a snoop ?

Speaking of films about the 'War in the Air', are there any that come highly recommended ?

I've got copies of 'The Blue Max' and 'Richthofen & Brown'

I've also seen 'Flyboys' and the new 'Red Baron', flick.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Wig

I'd be interested to know the answer to this one, it was on telly the other week and I've recorded it, but I won't waste my time watching it if it's not up to much.

For historical accuracy & viewing worth,just get Blackadder goes forth as they have a clip from the film in it.

I saw it at the pictures & ran to school the next day to tell me friends.........................................................

who had all spent the previous evening watching Jaws.

No comparison.

I'm still trying to regain me street cred.

I think it's a great film - but make sure you see the unedited film version, not the often shown TV one with part of the ending chopped off which spoils it :angry2:

"It's the only only way, it's the only trick to play..." :whistle:

I agree that it's a good film and certainly not a waste of time for a Great War buff, unlike several recent World War One films I could name. Nobody seems to have made the obvious point that it's essentially an aerial adaptation of 'Journey's End'.

Andrew,

I have seen the film several times but can't recall a cut at the end of the film,just what was it? However well worth watching , now we await all the adverse comments by the experts :whistle:

The version often shown during daytime has a cut when the young pilot is being "entertained" by the French girl.

Cheers.

Colin.

I'd put it somewhere between Dawn Patrol and The Blue Max. A very British film with a good cast and strong performances by the leading characters, notably Christopher Plummer as 'Uncle', the adjutant. Its inspirations are said to be Journey's End and Sagittarius Rising, and I sometimes think it would have been a better film if it contained less of the former and more of the latter.

Thanks for all the feedback folks !

I reckon I'll have to track down a copy...

Cheers

Wig

it's essentially an aerial adaptation of 'Journey's End'.

Halliwell (normally a good guide, I find) describes it as "A spitrited if rather unnecessary remake of Journey's End..."

... make sure you see the unedited film version, not the often shown TV one with part of the ending chopped off which spoils it...

It's some time since I last saw it, but I recall it ending with three very young pilots reporting to the war-weary squadron CO, who looks even more dejected when they tell him the tiny number of flying hours they have.

It's not at all bad, with cameo performances by John Gielgud, Trevor Howard and Ray Milland.

It has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 on

IMDB

which confirms that the ending I've described above is sometimes chopped on British TV.

Moonraker

I have seen the film several times but can't recall a cut at the end of the film,just what was it? However well worth watching , now we await all the adverse comments by the experts :whistle:

The version often shown during daytime has a cut when the young pilot is being "entertained" by the French girl.

It's some time since I last saw it, but I recall it ending with three very young pilots reporting to the war-weary squadron CO, who looks even more dejected when they tell him the tiny number of flying hours they have.

which confirms that the ending I've described above is sometimes chopped on British TV.

Spoiler Alert! As Moonraker said, the edited version ends on the plane crash between Crawford and the German pilot (leading rather confusingly to the three young pilots who appear at the end still being credited in the end titles despite having been chopped out). The scene where the pilots are, ahem, enjoying a slide-show is also severely cropped. I've never seen any difference between the TV and full-length film scenes between Crawford and the young French "lady" as it was tastefully done in the original.

It's obvious that there are several edited versions, as you say the film show is edited on some as was the scene between the French girl & Crawford.

Colin.