Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Posthomous MID

Guest woodyudet

Guest woodyudet

Does anyone know what an MID was? I am continuing my investigations into Army operations in Dublin 1916, and noticed that one of those officers who died of wounds has 'Posthomous MID'. Does anyone have any idea what this means?

cheers,

woody

Woody,

An MID is a Mention In Dispatches, still used in the British Army Today. It is a bravery award where the award for bravery does not warrant the award of a medal. The award is a small bronze dark colured leaf that is placed on the ribbon of a service medal.

Regards Iain

Guest woodyudet

Many thanks - that makes sense because Allatt was the person responsible for improvising armoured cars during the rising. Bit stingy not giving him a proper medal though ... !

No problems Woody. The British Army has always been "stingy" about its award and distribution of medals unlike some "other countries". At least we can say we earned ours and wear them with pride.

Regards Iain

Just some more minor details..

- An MID was sometimes given for 'outstanding work' as well as bravery.

- If the recipient has no campaign medal the oak leaf is worn on the uniform where a medal would be!

- The recipient also recieved a certificate to confirm the award of an MID.

-The award does not entitle the recipient to put MID after their name

Woody,

Check this link to see an MID as it appears on the Great War Victory medal. This officer was MID for patrol activity at St. Eloi in April 1916.

hope this helps,

David

Worth also mentioning that until the 1982 Falklands War the only awards which could be made posthumously were the Victoria Cross and MID.

Charles M

Guest woodyudet

Aha ... thanks very much for info guys, this makes a lot of sense.

I'm presuming that Allatt was MID posthomously for his 'outstanding work' in arranging for the construction of armoured trucks that proved so useful in the last 3 days of the easter rising. A VC would be inappropriate for his work, so it seems logical that the only way his work could be recognised at the time would be by mentioning him in dispatches posthomously.

Are those 'MID'd' recorded in the London Gazette? How would I actually confirm my hunch about Allatt's 'MID'?

But they are the devils' own work to find if you have no approximation of date of award... (I speak from hours of cross-eyed searching; London Gazette online would be a godsend if it wasn't so... quirky)