Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

army service corps

My grandfather was a driver in the A.S.C and posted to Egypt between August 1915 and June 1919; As far as I can tell he was shipped out on RMS Grampian in July 1915. I believe he drove staff cars and have pictures of him taken with the vehicles, in some cases the vehicle serial number can be identified.The photos appear to have been taken in Bethleham and Jerusalem. Another that has been dated was taken in Ros el Tin in 1917

Also with these are pictures of ambulances ( one seems to have got bogged down in the sand ) Another shows four rows of vehicles lined up in front of a lot of tents. I found some forum chat which took place in 2007 - 2008 regarding Field Ambulance workshop ASC company 772. Would a driver be involved with staff cars and ambulances ?

Is there any way in which I can find out whether he would have been attached to any particular Regiment or ASC Division

Another that has been dated was taken in Ros el Tin in 1917

Henry,

Welcome to the Great War Forum

(one of my grandfathers was also a driver in the ASC)

From the summer of 1915, Ras el Tin had a Convalescent Hospital located in a school on the Alexandria sea front

At about the same time there was a Hospital established (No.21 General Hospital) in the Ras-el-Tin Barracks, Alexandria

[details from an article in 'The Gallipolian' No.110, Spring 2006, by our GWF Pal, Mr. Patrick Gariepy]

Sorry I cannot offer more info

Good Luck with your research

Michael

Henry,

I have just noticed that you have put this under the 'Virtual Library' heading: may I suggest that you request further help by a posting in 'Soldiers' or even the Middle-east sub-section where it may attract more expert assistance

Good Luck

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Also with these are pictures of ambulances ( one seems to have got bogged down in the sand ) Another shows four rows of vehicles lined up in front of a lot of tents. I found some forum chat which took place in 2007 - 2008 regarding Field Ambulance workshop ASC company 772. Would a driver be involved with staff cars and ambulances ?

Yes, ASC drivers could have been assigned to any driving duty, even trained to drive Armoured Cars apparently. The ASC had 6558 drivers in its MT section (Mechanical Transport) within the EEF. This and much other detail can be found in "A History of the Transport Services of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force 1916-18" by Lt-Col G E Badcock.

I too wish you luck with your research.

Russell

Ambulances and staff cars would certainly have been driven by ASC personnel. The RLC Museum may be worth an email, though details of individual drivers are scarce indeed. I've checked my records for 772 Coy and don't have anything and as I have records of Coys close to 772, that suggests the museum doesn't have 772 Coy's records.

http://www.rlcmuseum.co.uk/