Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horse pilot

Desmond7

From horses to planes ... what's the score? Is he a gunner, pilot, forward air observer, runner? Guesses anyone, this is all I know!

Mrs. Blakes, High Street, Ballymena, has received a letter from her son,

Trooper Wm. Blakes, North Irish Horse (attached Royal Flying Corps) who

was recently reported as missing, informing her that he is a prisoner of war in

Germany. Trooper Blakes enlisted in September 1914 prior to which he was

employed by Messrs. Morton and Simpson Ltd. Church Street. He was a

member of the Ballymena Company 1145 of the Church Ladís Brigade.

Bo June 8 1917

A Private W C Blake (without the 's') was flying as observer with Lt A W Martin in FE2d A5149 of No 20 Sqn RFC when they were brought down and taken prisoner of war on 7 May 1917. The victory was credited to Ltn Walter von Bülow-Bothkamp of Jasta 18; it was the 10th of his eventual 28 before he was killed in action on 6 January 1918. A5149 came down on Jasta 18's aerodrome.

Pte W C Blake is the only Blake with a W initial shown as being made PoW in 'The Sky Their Battlefield'.

I hope this helps.

I'd say you've got yourself a 'kill' - Ace!!!! :D

Trooper William Blakes

News is anxiously awaited by Mrs. Blakes, High Street, Ballymena, concerning the whereabouts of her only son, Trooper William Blakes, North Irish Horse, who has been officially reported missing since May 7th 1917. Trooper Blakes enlisted during the latter end of September 1914 prior to which he was employed by Messrs. Morton and Simpson, Church Street, Ballymena. He was a member of the Ballymena Company (1145) of the Church Lad's Brigade and of the I.O.G.T.

Good to hear that I was able to help.

A photograph of A5149 in German hands is below.

Cheers

post-25-1087084726.jpg

;) Hi all,

just to let you know, when i did a search for North Irish Horse, i came across their official website (which needs updating), and in the part for the 1stww, there is a list which shows all ranks who died. Included on the list are about 4/5 who transferred/were attached (i.e volunteered) for the RFC.

On the memorial tablets within the NIH TA centre, there is no mention of them being with the RFC at the times of their deaths, which is a pity. On a similiar note, Lt Col Hugh Annesley West (major - NIH) won the VC posthumously when attached to the Tank Corps, and again, this isn't mentioned on the memorial tablets - however, the Tank Museum at Bovingdon have Wests medals, photies, and death plaque on display, it's a shame that the Regimental Museum couldn't use some of the money raised from the various messes to purchase replicas and display them. Instead they just have a computer printout! Tight b******s!!

Hope this helps,

gwrco

Des,

It was thought that experienced horsemen had a good "feel" for flying, and many great pilots became great aviators (Manfred von Richthofen was a cavalry officer as were many others).

Steve Drew