Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Osprey The Australian Army at War 1899–1975

roger

There are some figures of Australian soldiers I fancy painting but my reference material on the AIF is pretty thin on the ground.

This is an obvious choice but the time span it covers puts me off a bit. Is it worthwhile for the WW1 stuff or does anyone know of anything better?

Roger.

the colour plates are by mike Chappell and i always think his art work is really good. Not knowing what you are really after i cant say if its good fro what you want but there are some varied art drawings on different regt and theatres etc.

Arm.

Thanks Arm, I am very tempted to buy the book just on the strength of Mike Chappell's artwork but I'm after something in a similar vein a bit more Great War specific. (If thats possible.)

Roger.

Well worth it for the price. Doesn't go into massive detail on WW1, but it's an excellent read. The pictures should give you a good enough idea of how to paint the uniforms, but you could do with finding references elsewhere for insignia, etc.

Dave.

Cheers Dave, You've talked me into to it :D All it needed was one positive review and I'm off to the Osprey website with credit card in hand.

I'm sure I've seen a website showing the insignia worn by AIF in some detail, can't remember where though.

Cheers,

Roger.

Well worth it for the price. Doesn't go into massive detail on WW1, but it's an excellent read. The pictures should give you a good enough idea of how to paint the uniforms, but you could do with finding references elsewhere for insignia, etc.

Dave.

The back of the dustjacket of Patsy Adam-Smith's "Anzacs" has a colour copy of a chart of the colour patches worn by the AIF.

The back of the dustjacket of Patsy Adam-Smith's "Anzacs" has a colour copy of a chart of the colour patches worn by the AIF.

Thanks for that. I've found a copy of ANZAC's on Abebooks for £15. It sounds like a good book which will join my list of "wants"

In the meantime I remembered where I saw the insignia information at,

http://www.diggerhistory.info/

This will do me for the time being. I've still got a British infantryman to paint before I branch out into Aussies.

Roger.