Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bullecourt 17 May 1917

dobbin

Colin

I can only add that according to the 2/5th KOYLI War Diary that the 2/4th Y & L relieved the 2/5th KOYLI in the line on 24th May 1917. The Koyli were at 'NW Bullecourt'. I know that the Koyli were holding posts at U.20.d.35.30 & U.26.b.65.75 on 23rd May and on relief the new HQ's were at T.30.a, T.23.d & T.29.b. which maybe where the 2/4th Y & L had come from but that's guess work. I have nothing for Y & L for 17th May.

TEW

Tew thanks information seems thin on the ground. I am just reading Jeremy Banning/Peter Bartons Arras but such information I am seeking is perhaps too detailed to find there. I must go to the N/A and see the diary from information I have received from a helpful Forum member it seems that it would be fruitful for my search. Do you have the 2/4th Diary or have you seen them, I can see your interest is the 62nd Div? Again thanks for the help. Colin

Clive,

Sorry I don't have the diaries. They are WO95/3090. . I will double check what I have at home.

TEW

Hi Colin,

Firstly, glad you are reading the book!

I have just looked through some of my material here and am afraid I drew a blank re. maps etc. Some of it is on a hard drive that is with Peter in Kent so I will have to wait to check on that. I have got some great material for the latter stages of the Bullecourt fighting in May and June 1917 but space constraints meant that we could not cover these incidents in the Arras book. I am sure Paul Kendall's new book on Bullecourt may have something on this.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Colin

Wyrall's 'History of the 62nd Division' states on page 55;-

'........and the 187th infantry brigade (went) to the reserve area Ervillers-St Ledger-Mory Copse'

He seems to suggest that only the 186th Inf Bde remained in the line (with the other divisions) through the 17th May breaking point.

The 2/5th Koyli diary concurs really with the above and shows them being around Mory-Mory Copse-L'Homme Mort from 13th to the 19th May Just marching between these places and 'Routine, Readiness A'

I can only assume the 2/4th Y & L were doing pretty much the same.

TEW

Tew Thanks for looking for me. Jeremy thanks too I have been in touch with Paul Kendall who has already replied but was unable to deal with my detailed question. I am going to take a look at Paul's book and Jeremy I am enjoying "Arras" very much, a good investment. I have family killed there and helped a friend a while ago so I can appreciate how valuable to have some more light cast on this period of the war. Sorry for the delay in replying I have been away for a few days. Colin