Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt I H Cunningham

corisande

Another of the Intelligence men in Dublin that I cannot find

In Feb 1920 Timothy Quinlisk (an ex Irish Brigade man) was shot by the IRA in a field outside Cork. Quinlisk was a double agent, playing off both sides)

The Special Branch files in Dublin show that Quinlisk was wearing a British military Burberry overcoat with the name I H Cunningham in it

spec-branch-file.jpg

I cannot find a LT I H Cunningham. I suspect that the initials in the Special Branch report may be wrong

Can anyone help?

The WO338 Index to Officers Long Number Service Papers has only one Cunningham with the intial I and that is for a 2nd Lt. Ignatius Cunningham, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Using the online catalogue I can't see that the National Archives holds the relevant personnel file though.

A quick check of the 1911 census for Ireland shows an Ignatius H Cunningham, born Sligo, that could possibly fit?

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That should help. I find I just reach a mental full stop with some of these intelligence men, and a freah mind invariably helps.

That sounds like him, I have a crack at what else I can find on Ignatius H

Hi coriande,

A snippet for you.

Ignatius H Cunningham, Sgt.25375 Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Commissioned 30 Jan. 1918.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks Ken

I have put up a page here with what I have now on Cunningham

Given that he appears to have been "running" Quinlisk, he was probably a Basil Thomson man. We have him until his commission on his MIC, but nothing else. One seems to get these odd cards with Thomson men

Also that note on my first post is to Assistant Under Secretary which is a higher level than would get for an "ordinary" murder at that time.

The entries on the Census returns which record that details of the head of the family were to be found on 'Form H' indicates that he was in an RIC or military barracks, probably the former.

The death of an Ignatius H Cunningham (born c1896) was registered in the December Quarter of 1947 in Lambeth, Greater London (Vol 5c Page 1234).

Aled

Aled thanks for the death details

I had noticed the "form H" and drew the same conclusions, and spent a fruitless hour trying to get the form H. Any idea how one gets them. The only way I have got them before is by knowing the man's name, and in this case I don't

His father's name was James Cunningham, it's given on the transcript of the household schedule.

Residents of barracks were usually only listed by the initials of their forenames and surnames, and therefore only searchable by initials. In this case it would obviously be a search for surname C and forename J . Details of rank, religion, previous occupation etc are provided on Form H. To get his approximate age there are a couple of likely candidates in the Ancestry index of the RIC. Good luck!

Aled

Good luck!

Thanks, Aled

I'll have a go at that :)