Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What can we expect 100 years on

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Just a thread to say what you think will happen and what you would like to see happen over the 2014-2019 period.

I for one will be (if he above allows) shall be in Loos on the 25th September 2015, staying over for the 13th October. Other dates will be taken in as well these are just 2 main dates for me, also the 100 years of the deaths of my relatives, Bethune 2015, Arras 2017

Kevin

• Admin

I expect the 100th anniversary of the battle of Loos will be marked by the same lack of attendance as there was on the 95th. There were a few people about, but not many. There was a fair turn out for the 90th but again not spectacular. I will be there all being well as I am every year on the 25th.

Michelle

Will be there at Loos for the 100th anniversary if spared - there was another WW2 70th anniversary for the Regimental Association to attend this year. Unable to parade in 2 places at once!

What I would like to see happen includes:

*in the inevitable TV and book publishing fest, for authors, producers and publishers to broaden their coverage from 1 July 1916 and pals battalions;

*for anyone thinking of erecting new memorials in France and Flanders to take a deep breath and if their effort is really justified then at least adopt a good and lasting design;

*for the British archives, Goverment departments and regiments who hold archival material, to make it freely available via the internet and to cease the practice of offering it for sale via commercial genealogy websites.

Some 'opes.

*for the British archives, Goverment departments and regiments who hold archival material, to make it freely available via the internet and to cease the practice of offering it for sale via commercial genealogy websites.

Some 'opes.

Here,here

Wish list !

Gallipoli 2015

Poelcapelle 2017 - probably only me there!

I attended Loos 95th, so probably the 100th as well. Although my chaps were there late 1917.

Thiepval area - Sept 2016

Neuve Chap - 2015.

SM

Watch for the big ones to be celebrated - 2017 at Vimy will be quite something, eclipsing the quiet pride at Beaumont Hamel July 1, 2016.

The French will equally celebrate Verdun

To be honest, I have never really understood why we should celebrate the 100th anniversary this or the 50th anniversary of that. Why not the 27th or 84th anniversary? To use a cricketing analogy; there is great applause for a batsman who scores a century, but why not give him the same sort of accolade for scoring ninety-nine, after all, he has done the same amount of work to get there.

TR

Here,here

Pedantically, it should be Hear, Hear: you're inviting us to listen to him, not look at you :lol:

Terry: can't agree - 99 isn't the same as 100, is it (ask Harold Larwood about the number 98)? There has to be a figure somewhere, and 50 or 100 is a nice round figure to mark. Traditional, too, I suspect. I shall expect a telegram from HM when I hit 100 (in a few years' time, I hasten to add).

I'd like to be at Neuve Chapelle in March 2015, but it depends on finances and so on. I find I can remember adequately from my sofa, if I have to!

Steve

Self-evidently 99 is not the same as 100. But there were more men who sweated blood so to speak, on the long road to the Neuve Chapelle battle than lost blood in it, and that is the real point.

TR

Just a thread to say what you think will happen and what you would like to see happen over the 2014-2019 period.

I for one will be (if he above allows) shall be in Loos on the 25th September 2015, staying over for the 13th October. Other dates will be taken in as well these are just 2 main dates for me, also the 100 years of the deaths of my relatives, Bethune 2015, Arras 2017

Kevin

I think we can expect that on certain dates accommodation to visit sites will be hard to come by locally. So book early. Can you imagine the Menin Gate on certain dates. Worth thinking about.

Every anniversary is personal. Lets remember all those widows and fatherless children, that had an anniversary one day, two day and so on after the demise of a husband or daddy.

Most of us, if not all, remember every day but numbers such as 50, 75 and 100 concentrates the minds of those who think WW1 started in 1854 etc:D

Therefore they tend to think of those who gave their lives or who were maimed in the service of their country.

SM

For me it has to be Gallipoli 2015...however, as it is already chaos on the penninsula any year, I am seriously thinking of visiting on the 24th April instead!

Visiting my relatives grave at Motor Car Corner Cemetery, 15th April 2016

Messine: June, 2017

Le Quesnoy: November 2018

We commemorate the fallen every day of every year, however the 100th has special significance as it allows Governments and organisations to concentrate funding. This in turn attracts media, which in turn ensures wider recognition of the sacrifices made 100 years ago.

Cheers

however the 100th has special significance as it allows Governments and organisations to concentrate funding.

That will be an interesting and unique position in the UK.

In the Somme region there are already rooms booked for July and November 2016 and at least one B&B is holding rooms back at the request of 'regulars'. And an important point if you have a disability or are infirm or taking someone over who has problems mobilising, get in touch with the RBL or organisors of the services yu wish to attend asap and tell them. Parking is in no way adjacent to the services, expect a hike or find out if there is transport being provided from the main towns.

Mick

• Admin

What I would like to see happen includes:

*in the inevitable TV and book publishing fest, for authors, producers and publishers to broaden their coverage from 1 July 1916 and pals battalions;

*for anyone thinking of erecting new memorials in France and Flanders to take a deep breath and if their effort is really justified then at least adopt a good and lasting design;

Some 'opes.

Very well put Chris

Michelle

I think we can expect that on certain dates accommodation to visit sites will be hard to come by locally. So book early. Can you imagine the Menin Gate on certain dates. Worth thinking about.

Everything going well I will be there at various dates in my motorhome and not paying huge prices

to greedy hotels etc!:lol:

Cam.

Ypres is preparing something big with Belgian television for 2017 on the market, so near the Lakenhalle and the IFF. I expect the MMP at Zonnebeke to do something big also but in a different way, rumors about a big re-enactment event, and more on the Scots, Candians and Anzacs as the weekends they held in 2007. Both museums should be a lot larger by 2012.

Journey to the other side of the world for me. I'm thinking of July 2016 for Delville Wood and Fromelles but want to do some touring of battlefields, too, so might do summer 2015 to avoid the July 2016 crowds.

I wouldn't necessarily like to see more coverage on TV or in the 'papers, but I would like to see what coverage there is done much better.

There are too many programmes and documentaries done which have been cobbled together visually by the use of lazily researched images.

Over the years I've seen the Hawthorn Ridge mine used to illustrate Messines a number of times. I've seen Brodies on the retreat from Mons, and just the other day, I saw British soldiers used to illustrate a scene of the mobilisation of the US Army.

As for getting my boots on the ground, the dream would be to be where the 49th Division was at any given time 100 years previously. I might be better able to achieve the following in Granddad's footsteps than most because he was in 7th Reserve Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment from late 1915 onwards. From the summer of 1918 he was policing Co. Fermanagh so to get there for me is much easier than to get to lay a wreath at Essex Farm.

I'd also like to be near Mr Morse at Poelcapelle on 9th October 2017.

In reality, I'll be grateful for any touring time.

Cheers,

Nigel

My wish list, Neuve Chapelle March 2015 and onto Boulogne for 21.03.2015 and Arras 27.04.2017.

Stephen

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition....

Since many locations on the Western Front mean so much to me, I shall not be going anywhere near them during the circus which will be generated 2014-18.

In some ways I am dreading the 2014-2018 anniversaries but feel that it is better to have an input as it is not going to go away ! I e mailed my local councillor to see if our local authority are going to do anything. He said that he had already been thinking this over, and promised to raise the matter with the leader of the Council and then get back to me. So I will wait to see what transpires.

Wish list !

Gallipoli 2015

Poelcapelle 2017 - probably only me there!

I attended Loos 95th, so probably the 100th as well. Although my chaps were there late 1917.

Thiepval area - Sept 2016

Neuve Chap - 2015.

SM

Steve

not necessarily - the 8th Norfolks were there; will have a chat closer the time

Chris