Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Robert Jacomb Norris Dale, 9/Manchesters

rugbyremembers

My local roll includes quite a number of Londoners commissioned up into northern regiments in the first year of so of the war-  It was the usual practice for men commissioned up from the ranks to go to a completely different regiment-and a different area as well.  Later in the war, some regiments went out of their way to retain good NCOs who were being commissioned up-so commission in the same regiment was not at all unusual in 1917-1918 after the Somme and Paschendael.

The losses in the first few months show that your man was in the first  batches commissioned up form the Artists Rifles.  Some were commissioned in late 1914- a few days with the host battalion on probation and then excepted pretty quick- about 2 weeks seems to be the probationary period. 

There is a listing of such officers in the Roll of the Artists Rifles, which can be downloaded for free at  www.archive.org. There the listing of where they went when commissioned does show some rhyme and reason-usually 4 subalterns per regiment.

Your man is likely to have some distinguished connections-the use of Jacomb as a middle name suggests he was from the City Huguenot family of Jacomb, for so long quietly influential in City matters (eg the late Sir Martin Jacomb)

Hi Peter - thank your for your reply which clears up the point about a southerner in a Manchester regiment.

How do you pronounce (2/9th)?  Is it “two stroke ninth”?

I do want to read The Final Whistle, but am on a shoe-string budget at the moment.  There are at least 12 books I want to read!  This research business expands exponentially - the more I learn, the more I have still to learn!  (The excerpt is not available to me, maybe because I am working on a ‘phone).  I did come across it in Italian once, but that was no good to me :-)  !

Thank you for referencing the manuscript at NRCD.  I do know about it and am really keen to get down there and have a look when I get chance.

cheers

Janet

Hi Guest

I am firing off replies into the ether - I have no idea how this website works and it does not get any easier.  I hope my thank you’s are reaching people.

Thank you for your reply.

I am interested that Dale may have had distinguished connections.  I am not surprised as the more I delve into my primary research subject (Irene Mawer Dale Perugini), the more I am impressed with peripheral connections (without me even, as yet, knowing of those she herself may have had).

Irene had 5 siblings - originally I did not see any reason to look into their lives, but the more I learn about research, the more I realise that learning about other people can actually tell me more about my own subject.  

In addition, her second husband (Mark Edward Perugini) also had 5 siblings, plus a connection to Charles Dickens.  I am currently reading the biography of Kate Macready Collins Dickens by Lucinda Hawklsey and I can see from that that the Perugini family also had some distinguished connections.

So Irene Mawer Dale Perugini may have been on the outskirts of these connections, or may have been in the middle of them.  I have yet to find out!

I didn’t know the historical links of “Jacomb”, a name I have never in my life heard of before coming across Robert Dale.  Interesting.

Regards

Janet

Dear All

I can not work out how to use this website - so I hope this entry works.

My question about Robert Jacomb Norris Dale is this - does anyone know if he had siblings?  

I could’t find any reference, but I am now doubting my research ability.

thanks

Janet

2 siblings

James Littlewood Dale appears to be an actor of some renown (1886-1985) - appears to have played the Duke of Wellington in the 1937 Anna Neagle movie Victoria the Great

Katherine Phyllis Dale - 1887-1981

Parents Bernard(solicitor) and Katherine Susan Jacomb-Hood

RJND can be found in 1891 census at home with the family. In 1901 he is at Haileybury College, Great Amwell, Herts. In 1911 he is back with the family in Wimbledon and showing as a solicitor. Probably worth contacting Haileybury College who might have photos etc of RJND.

,rjnd.jpg.d18c4896f7b499491ed5f410eb698b28.jpg

RJND and his father

There is a Medal Index Card for a James Littlewood Dale serving with the Liverpool Regiment.

Also see https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0197708/ - fits in with known detail of the brother.

The mother's brother was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Percy_Jacomb-Hood

PS - We must be careful not to drift off the purpose of the forum. 

Edited by Mark1959