The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)

mhifle

Hi,

On ITV4 in the UK today Sunday 3 Oct 2010 from 11:45am to 2:25pm

'All Quiet On The Western Front

ITV4

Oscar-winning classic about a German boy, sent off to the First World War, whose unabashed patriotism and quest for glory is crushed by the realities of conflict. The horrors depicted in the trenches of the Western Front turn this into a compelling anti-war statement. With Lew Ayres, Louis Wolheim, John Wray, Slim Summerville, and Russell Gleason. (1930) SUB.

followed by 'Aces High based on RC Sherriff's classic play Journey's End. A newly commissioned Royal Flying Corps officer is posted to a squadron in France commanded by his former public-school house captain. He finds that his former idol has become brutally disillusioned. With Malcolm McDowell, Christopher Plummer, Simon Ward, Peter Firth, and John Gielgud. (1977) AD SUB REP'

ITV4

Regards Mark

Hi,

Yes 'Aces High' looks like the TV movie but I think 'All Quiet On The Western Front' is the 1930 version

Regards Mark

Hi Mark I think I am in danger of sounding like a bit of a nerd so I promise that this will be my last post on the subject: All Quiet on the Western Front is listed as a TVM (1979) and Aces High (1976) is definitely a cinema movie. Both will be well worth a look and I love the flying shots in "Aces" never mind the historical accuracy or not.

Have a nice day!

Norman

Hi Mark, you were right All Quiet is the original, not a 1979 TVM. I have had another look at the TV guide and I am looking forward to “Antiques Roadshow on Ice” BBC1 7.30 tonight!!.

Regards

Norman

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

"Little-known sequel": "The Road back".

YouTube

IMDB

"takes place in the immediate aftermath of world war 1 and recounts the frontline soldiers' difficulty in returning to a peacetime society@