Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Walter Harrel Herford AFC/RFC

Guest stevenbec

Guest stevenbec

Mates,

Do you have any info on this soldier.

He was in the 10th ALHR before going to France with an unknow FAB. There he joinned the AFC and I show him being at No 5 Training Sqn AFC in the UK.

He was attached to 29 Sqn RFC where he died on the 4th Oct 1917 from illness and was buried at Tilstock Shropshire.

Do you know how he died and any details of 29 Sqn RFC was it a training Sqn based at Tilstock?

Cheers

S.B

He died of tuberculosis according to 'Airmen Died...'

29 Sqn was a fighter squadron based at Poperinghe on the day your man died. They flew Nieuport 17 & 27 aircraft at the time.

In view of this (and the nature of his illness) it seems your man was hospitalised in the UK as he is buried at home. He obviously did not die in Belgium.

Guest stevenbec

Thanks Terry,

Does your sourse give any further details?

Like does it show his attachment to 29 Sqn, and if so what was his job there.

Was he training as an obsver or was he just a AM fitter. Or just a batman to an AFC officer attached to the 29 Sqn.

Thanks for clearing up his death and place but do you know what hosp was near Tistock? I can not find that name for any Australian Hosp in the UK.

Thanks again for your insight.

S.B

P.S.

Mate,

I did just find something of interest in the Service record of Lt Basil Bridgeford Hick of 2 Sqn AFC.

He is shown moving from 29 Training Sqn at Shawbury to 28 Training Sqn at Castle Bronwich and to 30 Training Sqn Tern Hill all between Nov 1917 and Jan 1918 during flight training. Were these the early names for AFC Training Sqns in the UK.

Can it be that the 29 Training Sqn for Pte Herford may be this and not 29 Sqn RFC in France.

Was Shawbury anywhere near Tilstock?

S.B

From... http://www.stock.org.uk/history/ww1/evens.htm looks like this was an isolation hospital? bearing in mind your man and TB and him being in the RFC, mine was in the artillery

Below is the entry I made on our virtual war memorial...

Charles Evans , Lived in Stock in Essex

Charles was a serjeant in the Royal Garrison Artillery 326th Siege Bty. and was killed 8th Feb 1917 aged 28.

His niece contacted us saying that he returned for duty in the Eastern Mediterranean and whilst in the UK, under canvas he caught flu and died a as result.

Charles is buried in Tilstock Churchyard, in Shropshire. He was the son of Henry and Ann Evans who were the teachers at the National School here in Stock.

According to the 1901 Census, they all lived in the School House which is opposite Bellmans Farm. There were six children, Frank A (15) and listed as a school teacher, Kate (13), Charles (12), Harry (9), Jessie (7), Hubert (3). Henry came fro Heanor in Derbyshire, Ann from a little village Smalley also in Derbyshire, Frank was born in Long Eaton Derbyshire. Kate, Charles and Harry were born in Stamford Bridge near York,and Jessie and Hubert South Hill Cornwall.

John