Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ARISTOCRATS GO TO WAR

paul_web

I got a copy for £4.11 that included postage from eBay, might not have much about coldstream but it's a cheap read

I got a copy for £4.11 that included postage from eBay, might not have much about coldstream but it's a cheap read

That's 'Aristocrats go to war', isn't it?

Michael

Couple of years ago I was in an independent bookshop in Hastings (just off the front called Albion), books were literally piled up to the ceiling, and I got a copy of A go to W and The Public Schools Battalion in the GW both brand new for £5, cash only if I remember correctly. Both very good reads

John

That's 'Aristocrats go to war', isn't it?

Michael

Yes

• 6 months later...

'Our Fellow Members' is now available on Amazon.

Michael

• Admin

This thread has prompted me to re read Aristocrats again,  it really is a rattling good read 

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2016 at 23:05, Michael Pegum said:

I'm glad you asked!

It so happens that a biography of Sir Richard Levinge - see below - as well of Reggie Wyndham, appears in my recent book 'Our Fallen Members. The War Casualties of the Kildare Street and Dublin University Clubs'. They were both members of the Kildare Street Club in Dublin There are 45 other biographies, covering the period from October, 1914 to April, 1945.

The bizarre thing about Sir Richard Levinge's death is that, after he was buried on the battlefield, he had to be dug up again the next night, as he had been carrying his squadron's pay in his pocket, and the money had to be retrieved!

The World War I names are, in chronological order by date of death:

George Brooke, Irish Guards

The Hon. Charles Henry Stanley Monck, Coldstream Guards

Sir Richard Levinge, Bt., Life Guards

Alexander Moore Vandeleur, Life Guards (father of Giles, and uncle of J.O.E. Vandeleur, of 'A Bridge Too Far' fame))

Kenneth Ronald Mathieson, Irish Guards

Edward Charles Stafford-King-Harman, Irish Guards

The Hon. William Reginald Wyndham, Life Guards

Richard Francis Robert Nugent, Scots Guards

Robert St.John Blacker-Douglass, M.C., Irish Guards

Robert McGregor Bowen-Colthurst, Leinster Regiment (brother of John B-C, who had Francis Sheehy-Skeffington shot during the Easter Rising in Dublin,

William Edward Parsons, Earl of Rosse, Irish Guards

Edmond Chomley Lambert Farran, Royal Irish Rifles

William Jeffrey Davis, King’s Royal Rifle Corps

Robert Maxwell Pike, Royal Flying Corps

Thomas Pakenham, Earl of Longford, General Staff

Charles Annesley Acton, Royal Welch Fusiliers

Frederick Arthur Bligh, Royal Field Artillery

Francis William Joseph MacDonnell, West Yorkshire Regiment

Frederick Henry Lewin, Connaught Rangers

James Rowan Shaw, Cheshire Regiment

Francis Henry Browning, Irish Rugby Football Volunteer Corps (President of the I.R.F.U., who was shot during the Easter Rising)

James Fitzgerald Bannatyne, 11th (Prince Albert’s Own) Hussars

William Magee Crozier, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Arthur Robert Moore, M.C., Royal Fusiliers

John Staples Molesworth Lenox-Conyngham, Connaught Rangers (C.O. 6th Battalion, killed on the Somme)

James Kenneth MacGregor Greer, Irish Guards

Harold Martin Cliff, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Robert Thomas Carew, Leinster Regiment

Arthure Benedict Edward Hillas, Gordon Highlanders

Maurice Cane, Royal Field Artillery

Edmund Richard Meredith, British Red Cross

Martin Hogan, South Irish Horse (the only one not an officer)

Augustus Blair Mayne, Royal Field Artillery

Percival St.George Findlater, Army Service Corps

John McDonnell, Leinster Regiment (whose only son was killed in WW II, and also appears in the book)

There are also the biographies of twelve men who died in WW II, including a winner of the V.C., a winner of the D.S.O. and Bar, and one who was murdered on the River Kwai.

Am I permitted to say where the book may be obtained?

Michael

Sir Richard Levinge.jpg

Hi Michael,

I am the current custodian of Lt Colonel Sir Cecil Stafford-King-Harman's medals. He was Edward's brother and served with the KRRC during both wars. Sadly his only son, Thomas, was killed in action with the Irish Guards during WW2. 

Regards,

Des

4 hours ago, djt said:

Hi Michael,

I am the current custodian of Lt Colonel Sir Cecil Stafford-King-Harman's medals. He was Edward's brother and served with the KRRC during both wars. Sadly his only son, Thomas, was killed in action with the Irish Guards during WW2. 

Regards,

Des

Here is a photo of Edward Stafford-King-Harman. The name is complicated—his father was simply Thomas Joseph Stafford, and his mother was Fay King-Harman. He was a Catholic and she a Protestant, and they married against her mother's wishes; Fay lost a large inheritance as a result. However, Fay's sibling's died, and it was Edward who inherited the estate (Rockingham, in Co. Roscommon), adding his mother's surname to his own.

Cecil became Senior Steward of the Turf Club and a member of the General Synod of the Church of Ireland; he was also appointed to the President of Ireland’s Council of State. His father had been created a Baronet, hence the 'Sir' for Cecil, who inherited the title.

Michael

E.S-K-H_3.jpg

15 hours ago, Michael Pegum said:

Here is a photo of Edward Stafford-King-Harman. The name is complicated—his father was simply Thomas Joseph Stafford, and his mother was Fay King-Harman. He was a Catholic and she a Protestant, and they married against her mother's wishes; Fay lost a large inheritance as a result. However, Fay's sibling's died, and it was Edward who inherited the estate (Rockingham, in Co. Roscommon), adding his mother's surname to his own.

Cecil became Senior Steward of the Turf Club and a member of the General Synod of the Church of Ireland; he was also appointed to the President of Ireland’s Council of State. His father had been created a Baronet, hence the 'Sir' for Cecil, who inherited the title.

Michael

E.S-K-H_3.jpg

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting the image of Edward, I hadn't see it before. Most of the information you posted about the family was known to me but a few details were not so thank you for that.

Best wishes,

Des

• 1 year later...

Posting in the hope that MIchael Pegum might see this message.

I am interested in Lieut Edward Peter Godfrey Eustace Nettlefold RA.

There is a plaque in his memory in St Mary's RC Church, MAYNOOTH, Co Kildare - just across the road from me.

Thank you 

Liam Kenny 

Edited by Guest
Removing personal contact details

Many thanks, Liam. I will be in touch.

Michael

What happened to Lieut Edward Peter Godfrey Eustace Nettlefold RA of 31st Field Regiment?  On the date he died, his regiment was in Libya. Had he succumbed  to wounds received in North Africa?  More a question for a Second World War forum,  

Nice to see a good thread pop up now and then.

After passing Zillebeke year after year on the final day of the Yzer, and then again on the 100km of Ypres or Through Flanders Fields (yup, always on foot...) I finally bought the book a couple of months ago, but still haven't had the time to read it. Will have to before the next Yzer though... topic for the historical guide 2019!

M.

7 hours ago, sheldrake said:

What happened to Lieut Edward Peter Godfrey Eustace Nettlefold RA of 31st Field Regiment?  On the date he died, his regiment was in Libya. Had he succumbed  to wounds received in North Africa?  More a question for a Second World War forum,  

You're right, of course, it was WW II. However, since you asked, he died of tuberculosis, having been taken off duty and put on half pay in September, 1939. He is buried in Northwich Cemetery, Cheshire.

Michael