Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reading a medal index card

rewbarbel

I am hopeing that someone can help me. I am trying to trace my great, great uncles war medals and understanding which regiment and number they would have been stamped with would be a great help. Would it be M.G.C. or Middlesex? I have Roberts death plaque that came to me via my great grandfather, Roberts brother (of interst there was another Robert Codman who died in the great war, so if anyone has a death plaque with this name on it, I can confirm that it was the Robert in the rifle brigade). Robert Codman was killed in action on 9th nov. 1918 at Maubeuge serving with the machine gun corps and came from Walsingham in Norfolk.

Any help with understanding what the numbers etc. mean would be much appreciated.

post-58705-000598500 1285949050.jpg

Hi

The medals would be named to the Middlesex Regiment but are on the MGC Medal Roll. It would also appear that there was a Duplicate submission for the Medals on the Middlesex Medal Roll

Steve

At the bottom it looks like the British War Medal wand Victory medal were returned (retd) for an authorised adjustment (auth. 3302 adt) and this was recorded in another medal roll, that of E/102/B9 Page 1363.

Hi,

I would like to thank you for your time. I wasn't sure and have had the medals on medal tracker for some time now under machine gun corps, so I will have to amend the details. I have wondered who has the medals for some time now. Roberts wife and son died before the war ended and I guess that his medals etc. were split among his brothers and sisters (just a guess!).

Again many thanks for your time,

Andy

Hi

The PW prefix to his Middlesex Number would mean that he served in either the 18th, 19th or the 26th Battalion.

Steve

I have on my village website (plus photo) if it is of any help -

Lance Corporal Robert Codman

Born in Little Walsingham 1885

Educated at Little Walsingham National School

Enlisted 19th July 1916, Norwich,

57015, 32nd Battalion, Machine Gun Corps (Inf)

Died on Saturday 9th Nov 1918 age 33

Son of the late Ambrose (shoemaker) and Phoebe Codman

Husband of the late Lily Maria Codman

regards

Chris

www.walsingham-memories.co.uk

post-5409-056817400 1285967659.jpg

At the bottom it looks like the British War Medal wand Victory medal were returned (retd) for an authorised adjustment (auth. 3302 adt) and this was recorded in another medal roll, that of E/102/B9 Page 1363.

Not exactly; the original medals were duplicated on the Middx Rgt roll (E/102/B9 Page 1363), but the duplicates were returned. The originals were issued by the MGC record office, and were named to the MGC.

It looks like he also served with the Middx Rgt but we can't be certain, based solely on this MIC, as to whether he served with them overseas or not.

Hi, I can't thank you enough for your help.

I was taken aback when I saw the picture of Robert as I have the same picture hanging above my computer. My wife has done the family tree, it is on line and you will see this picture there also. Sadly I don't know when this picture was taken and I have been unable to find any service records so assume that they were amongst the destroyed ones. It would be interesting to find out when he was wounded.

As I said I hope to trace the medals and I know that it can be done as I recently reunited a pair to their plaque.

Again thank you all, you have given me lots of info.

Andy

Hi Chris,

I have just looked at the Walsingham website and there is a Eldred Frary on the memorial, there is a great photo of him as well. He is Lily's (Roberts Wife) Brother. Thank you for another small piece of the jigsaw!

Andy

Hi Chris,

I have just looked at the Walsingham website and there is a Eldred Frary on the memorial, there is a great photo of him as well. He is Lily's (Roberts Wife) Brother. Thank you for another small piece of the jigsaw!

Andy

Andy

A few points -

We have an extensive database of Walsingham family history so if you could help by passing on any stuff you have regarding Codman's/Frarys it would be much appreciated - if only as a means of passing on to other interested souls

There is a Frary family history get together in the village hall on Saturday 16th October - I can pass on the details if you wish

The photo is listed as being donated by his sister and that he was killed in action - as to the date of photo then it would have to be a few weeks after his enlistment and most likely before he was posted overseas. Do you have his sister(s) names and who she/they married ?

Robert is buried in Mauberge Cemetery which has two other 32nd men buried who were also killed on the same day

"One hundred and five were brought in after the Armistice from the battlefields West of Maubeuge"

I have a picture of the cemetry from which you can identify Roberts grave - too big to post on here

regards

chris

ps you can see where the Codmans lived if you check the village site and check old pics/winter pics and look at Church Street

A quick one

I have copies of the 'burnt records' of John Codman who joined up in Sheffield in Aug 1914, says he was born in walsingham so presume he is one of yours. Served in 6th (service bt)Yorks and Lancs reg. He even joined up again in 1922 !

Has his attestation form wih his signature, various family records and his service records, all a bit blurry .......... as I am at this unearthly hour, unfortunately each file (21 in all) is too big to upload

5ft 7

Blue eyes

brown hair

fair comlexion

regards

chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have John Codman's MIC and papers and he is Robert's brother. There is also the records for Ambrose Codman and he was anotther brother who served inthe RGA.

The Codmans lived Coker's Hill; Ambrose was married to Phoebe (by the 1901 census she had died). The children were; Charlotte Claxton (from Phoebe's first marriage) Robert (MGC), Ada, Ambrose (RGA), Horatio, Jack (John- York & Lancs.), Harriett and Laura. (although I am only in my late thirties I remember Laura very well. We visited her often in East Barsham and she passed away in 1987). Next door lived grandad also called Ambrose and Roberts older brother William (my great grandad).

As for Eldred I have only just made the conection as we have him down as Elder. He had one other brother called Herbert and a sister called lily Maria. It was her that married Robert Codman (MGC), but she died on 21st of aug. 1917. Their son John R. died sometime between july and sept 1914- he was 3.

I come to Walsingham about once a year.

Just out of interest there is a famous Codman from Walsingham- William Christmas Codman, my great, great, great, great uncle- a silversmith. Just do an internet search

Please pass on the info on the Frary family history get together, although I doubt I would be able to vsit then (work). Also please do pass on my info. at this meeting if you can.

Many, many thanks

Andy

Chris,

just to say that I have cemetery details etc and a picture of Robert's grave.As to the other two members of the MGC, do you know who they are? Perhaps they where part of the same team....

Yes I have John Codman's MIC and papers

are those the 'burnt records'ie those damaged by the blitz in 1940 ?

The Codmans lived Coker's Hill

My earlier comment about Church Street was a vague recollection, which turns out was where Robert's grandfather and father lived in 1881

Their son John R. died sometime between july and sept 1914- he was 3.

John Robert Codman (3) is listed as being buried on 25th Sept 1914, his address is given as High Street - I also have

Mary Elizabeth Codman (84) buried on 27th April 1914 address as the Almshouses

Ambrose Tremear(?)Codman (86) buried on 16th August 1916 address as the Cokers Hill

Susannah Brown Codman (80) buried on 16th March 1917, her address as High Street

Lilian Maria Codman (32) buried on 25th August 1917, her address as High Street

The other two MGC buried with Robert are -

James Miller Arnett

Earnest Albert Carter

I have pm'ed you regarding the Frary family history

regards

chris

Chris,

Many thanks for the info. I was reading off the 1901 census.

The records that I have regarding John & Ambrose are what I believe to be the "burnt records" they came from the ancestry web site (That is where my wife has the Codman family tree, please feel free to use it if you so wish).

Thanks also for the info. on the other two MGC buried with Robert it will give me something to look into.

Regards, Andy

Re the comment

Andy

A few points -

The photo is listed as being donated by his sister and that he was killed in action - as to the date of photo then it would have to be a few weeks after his enlistment and most likely before he was posted overseas. Do you have his sister(s) names and who she/they married ?

Surely he has a wound stripe visible and therefore the photo will not have been taken before shortly before he went aboard?

Jerry

James Miller Arnett

Earnest Albert Carter

I have just been looking at the CWGC and at Maubeuge on 9/11/1918 there were twenty five British casualties- twenty one of them were from the 32nd battalion MGC.

Andy

James Miller Arnett

Earnest Albert Carter

I have just been looking at the CWGC and at Maubeuge on 9/11/1918 there were twenty five British casualties- twenty one of them were from the 32nd battalion MGC.

Andy

I further have -

Frederick George Hardwick

Private 13330, 32nd Battalion, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Killed in action Saturday 9th November 1918 in France & Flanders.

Born Old Bradwell, enlisted Bedford, resident Wolverton, Bucks.

Nephew of Mrs. E. Walters, of 9, Alexandra Court, Old Bradwell, Bucks.

Formerly 22203, Bedfordshire Regiment.

Buried in MAUBEUGE-CENTRE CEMETERY, Nord, France. Grave D. 58.

William McCreedy

Private 136839, 32nd Battalion, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Killed in action 9th November 1918. Aged 19. Born and enlisted Looe.

Only son of Florence McCreedy, of The Hill, West Looe, Cornwall, and the late Robert McCreedy, (R.N.).

Awarded the Military medal (M.M.).

Formerly 305721, London Regiment.

Buried in MAUBEUGE-CENTRE CEMETERY, Nord, France.

Plot/Row/Section D. Grave 54.

Pte. Arthur BOYES

55289 Machine Gun Corps (Inf);

formerly 27165 East Lancs. Regt.);

Son of John and Mary Boyes; lived at Great Harwood;

Killed in action 9th November 1917 (30);

Buried Bethleem Farm West Cem. [3, 4, 13]

regarding the wound stripe,

Robert joined up in July 1916 and after training would have been put into the Middlesex Reg.

The 32nd were in Egypt with the 32nd Brigade (11th Division) at the time, the 32nd Machine Gun Company formed March 1916, they left to move into 11th MG Battalion 28 February 1918

The three Middlesex battalions mentioned earlier were pioneer battalions

Casualties buried at Maubeuge from the 9/11/1918 are;

32nd Machine Gun Corps;

James Miller Arnott

Ernest Albert Carter

Robert Codman

William Dickie

Leonard William Elliott

William Edward Frost

Ernest Victor Galton

William Pollock Gillespie

James Rushton Gleave

Henry Albert Harry Hockey

C E Litchfield

C Longden

William McCreedy

James Menin

J Newcombe

J S Oven

S Richards

Robert Mathison Ross

H Thomson

J A Waite

From other regiments:

North Staffordshire regiment; P W Cope

R.F.A.; W Holland

20th Hussars; Cecil Raymond Nickson

Gloucestershire Regiment; W J Reeves

If I Have missed anyone please tell me. If there are any family members out there Let me know.

Andy

Leonard William Elliott

Private 71499, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Killed in action 9th November 1918 in France & Flanders.

Born Shoreham, Sussex, enlisted Bexhill, resident Burgess Hill, Sussex.

Husband of Mrs. B. Elliott, of 9, Claremont Row, Brighton.

Formerly 1563, Royal Sussex Regiment.

Buried in MAUBEUGE-CENTRE CEMETERY, Nord, France. Grave D. 64.

ps Boyes (above) was posted up in error

• 1 year later...

Casualties buried at Maubeuge from the 9/11/1918 are;

32nd Machine Gun Corps;

James Miller Arnott

Ernest Albert Carter

Robert Codman

William Dickie

Leonard William Elliott

William Edward Frost

Ernest Victor Galton

William Pollock Gillespie

James Rushton Gleave

Henry Albert Harry Hockey

C E Litchfield

C Longden

William McCreedy

James Menin

J Newcombe

J S Oven

S Richards

Robert Mathison Ross

H Thomson

J A Waite

From other regiments:

North Staffordshire regiment; P W Cope

R.F.A.; W Holland

20th Hussars; Cecil Raymond Nickson

Gloucestershire Regiment; W J Reeves

If I Have missed anyone please tell me. If there are any family members out there Let me know.

Andy

hi andy Iam W.J.Reeves great great nephew . we are also looking into how and where he was killed and what medals he might of got .. if you have and info that we could ues we would be very great full

thanks paul

• 6 months later...

hi andy Iam W.J.Reeves great great nephew . we are also looking into how and where he was killed and what medals he might of got .. if you have and info that we could ues we would be very great full

thanks paul

hello Paul,

sorry I didn't notice your post before as i haven't been on the forum for a while. I am glad that someone came forward. Have you checked out the CWGC website? they have the info. that will help you get going.

Good luck and let me know how you get on,

Andy

• 7 years later...