Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post War Change In Religion

General Confusion

Hi, I am new to this so please excuse any faux pas in etiquette

I am fortunate in that my Granddad's army papers survived the blitz

He joined the RFA 1900, he did 8+4, he then re-engaged and was demobbed in 1919. After a few months he re-enlisted in the RAMC for a year - presumably because jobs were hard to come by, there was a need for chaps in the RAMC and it would be a plus to his army pension.

My question is this - On his original sign-up papers in 1900 he ticks the "Protestant" box, but in 1919 he ticks the "Catholic" box. Did he do this because Catholics would be less likely to be sent to Ireland?

Any light that can be shed, most gratefully appreciated

My question is this - On his original sign-up papers in 1900 he ticks the "Protestant" box, but in 1919 he ticks the "Catholic" box.

There are many reasons that he may have done this ... from it being a mistake on one set of papers to him actually changing for one reason or another. My own (maternal) grandad changed from Cof E to RC in order to avoid the obstacles and hassles that 'mixed marriages' threw up them days when he was to marry my catholic grandmother (and got shunned by his own brothers for doing so!). Oddly enough, my paternal grandfather did exactly the opposite...changed from RC to CoE before marriage, for exactly the same reason (and, thereby leaving me with a mixed RC/CoE parentage).

dave

My uncle was C of E when he joined up in 1914 but RC when he was demobbed in 1919 - he converted at some time during the war. Never spoke about any detail or reason though. He never married so that is an unlikely reason in his case.

I recall reading about one soldier (C of E) who converted to Catholicism post war simply because he had more admiration of the Catholic padres in the war zone than he had for the C o E's he encountered.

Dave

Did he marry in between times? Changed to wife's denomination?

maybe, as already stated, he had a particularly good padre who converted him?

religion would have had no influence on posting to Ireland.

Des

I recall reading about one soldier (C of E) who converted to Catholicism post war simply because he had more admiration of the Catholic padres in the war zone than he had for the C o E's he encountered.

Dave

While my uncle never spoke about it, the family story was that he had been influenced by the RC Padres he had met and possibly by other members of the RC faith. I knew him well and he was not a man who was easily led nor persuaded; he would have considered the matter very carefully before making the decision.

It was the question of whether it would have any influence on his being posted to Ireland that was my main consideration - That has been kindly answered by Des - Many thanks

The children were all brought up CofE so if the change was due to his war experiences then it was a temporary one - maybe it is just admin error

Thanks to all for their efforts and input.