Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Bad Characters' by Paul Stanley

Mr Wig

Hi there Pals,

In my travels I stumbled across a new book:

'Bad Characters' - (Sex, Crime, Mutiny, Murder, and the Australian Imperial Force) by Paul Stanley

Just wondering if anyone has read it ?

Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers

Wig

The author is Peter Stanley.

I've read it- and it is excellent. It covers the history of the AIF, starting with its formation in Aug 1914 and finishing with demobilisation in 1919. The focus, as the title suggests, is on crime and punishment- the AIF's 'bad characters' so to speak. Stanley's definition of crime is broad and he covers instances ranging from murder, theft, rape and fraud through to insubordination, self inflicted wounds, homosexuality and, of course, the ubiquitous AWL.

The book is an easy read- he's done it in 60 short chapters (2-3 pages each generally). It typically discusses the crime in question (in the context of the AIF and 1914 society) and then uses some examples to illustrate how it manifested itself in the AIF, how it was punished etc. The structure works really well, because he weaves the story of crime and punishment into the broader story of the war.

There are endnotes- and like all of Peter's work its based on extensive archival research.

All in all, a very entertaining book on a subject that isn't often dealt with.

Hi there Pals,

In my travels I stumbled across a new book:

'Bad Characters' - (Sex, Crime, Mutiny, Murder, and the Australian Imperial Force) by Paul Stanley

Just wondering if anyone has read it ?

Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers

Wig

I certainly pray the sequel will be written by Gene Simmons. :)

-Daniel

I certainly pray the sequel will be written by Gene Simmons. :)

-Daniel

Haha...the penny didn't drop at the time when I showed 'Paul Stanley' as the author !

I guess I was in 'forum' mode at the time...

Considering I'm an old 'rock pig', (still playing in bands today) how could I let that slip by ?

So yeah...a Beer to you Daniel.

Cheers

Wig

Haha...the penny didn't drop at the time when I showed 'Paul Stanley' as the author !

I guess I was in 'forum' mode at the time...

Considering I'm an old 'rock pig', (still playing in bands today) how could I let that slip by ?

So yeah...a Beer to you Daniel.

Cheers

Wig

Who knew I would one day meet such an esteemed author:

n1012819299_30352631_2631325.jpg

And yes, that's Gene behind Paul's thumb. :)

To, erm, make this post legit, I intend to check out your book recommendation forthwith.

:whistle:

-Daniel

The author is Peter Stanley.

I've read it- and it is excellent. It covers the history of the AIF, starting with its formation in Aug 1914 and finishing with demobilisation in 1919. The focus, as the title suggests, is on crime and punishment- the AIF's 'bad characters' so to speak. Stanley's definition of crime is broad and he covers instances ranging from murder, theft, rape and fraud through to insubordination, self inflicted wounds, homosexuality and, of course, the ubiquitous AWL.

The book is an easy read- he's done it in 60 short chapters (2-3 pages each generally). It typically discusses the crime in question (in the context of the AIF and 1914 society) and then uses some examples to illustrate how it manifested itself in the AIF, how it was punished etc. The structure works really well, because he weaves the story of crime and punishment into the broader story of the war.

There are endnotes- and like all of Peter's work its based on extensive archival research.

All in all, a very entertaining book on a subject that isn't often dealt with.

Hi there Michael,

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated.

Too true...the subject matter of the book, as you put it 'isn't often dealt with'.

That's why it grabbed my attention...

I'm an Aussie living in the US...is your 'Lost in Flanders' doco available on DVD ?

Unfortunately in the States, access to (quality) First World War docos is very thin on the ground.

As I'm sure you'd know, the First World War doesn't seem to register here ! (no offence to American forum members)

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Wig

Who knew I would one day meet such an esteemed author:

n1012819299_30352631_2631325.jpg

And yes, that's Gene behind Paul's thumb. :)

To, erm, make this post legit, I intend to check out your book recommendation forthwith.

:whistle:

-Daniel

Daniel...very cool mate !

Who woulda thunk it ? Paul Stanley had an interest in the AIF ?

Well...Motörhead did the 1916 album, and didn't Iron Maiden do a song about Passchendaele ? :rolleyes:

A great uncle of mine was wounded at Passchendaele...

Cheers

Wig

Hi there Michael,

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated.

Too true...the subject matter of the book, as you put it 'isn't often dealt with'.

That's why it grabbed my attention...

I'm an Aussie living in the US...is your 'Lost in Flanders' doco available on DVD ?

Unfortunately in the States, access to (quality) First World War docos is very thin on the ground.

As I'm sure you'd know, the First World War doesn't seem to register here ! (no offence to American forum members)

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Wig

Hi Wig

Surely there's lots of USA won World War I type docos right? Oh... you want 'quality' :)

I'm not sure if LiF is available on DVD. I remember Mat McLachlan mentioning it was for sale at the Australian War Memorial's shop but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I think it might still be available in its entirety on the ABC's website actually. If you get desperate PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Michael

www.michaelmolkentin.com

Hi Wig

Surely there's lots of USA won World War I type docos right? Oh... you want 'quality' :)

I'm not sure if LiF is available on DVD. I remember Mat McLachlan mentioning it was for sale at the Australian War Memorial's shop but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I think it might still be available in its entirety on the ABC's website actually. If you get desperate PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Michael

www.michaelmolkentin.com

Haha...exactly !:D

The ABC Shop doesn't have the DVD...checked the AWM, they've got it for $49.95...plus shipping (ouch - pricey to the US !)

Congrats on your new book ! I'll have to grab a copy...

Thanks again.

Wig

• 1 month later...

I found this to be a very interesting book by Peter Stanley. It certainly shows a side of the AIF that doesn't get covered much in the general histories though some instances I had seen before in battalion histories such as the 48th Battalion deserter who was tracked down and shot by two officers of his battalion was coveted in Neville Brownings history of that unit. I would definitely recommend Peter Stanley's book if anyone is looking for a good book to buy for Christmas