Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

Hi Kevan,

Do you have anything on soldiers with the surname of Tranter please?

Thank you.

M&T

sorry alan ,thanks for the information sounds like a nightmare and then to be left to die. if you find any more info for george hughes from birmingham i would be grateful and george thomas as above thanks again lynne byrne

Hi, I am sure your kind offer means you are very busy but I wondered if you had any info on Enoch Holyoake 32617 from Olbury who was killed on the 28th March 1917 at Arras.

During my research of the fallen of my now home town of Dawley, Shropshire I have come across two men who although born in Dawley either lived/worked or enlisted in Birmingham, I was wondering if you have come across either, they were;

Pte Henry Richard Pugh 15/700 15th Battalion Royal Warwickshire regt (2nd B'Ham Pals) enlisted Sept 1914 DOW 19/4/18

and

Airman John Thomas Gadd, Airman 1st class 4646, No3 Squadron RFC who died in a flying accident on 30/9/17 he had before enlisting worked as an engineers fitter, and lived at 125, Winson Green road, Birmingham.

Dave

Hi, I am sure your kind offer means you are very busy but I wondered if you had any info on Enoch Holyoake 32617 from Olbury who was killed on the 28th March 1917 at Arras.

Is this the man with two service numbers? That at some point served with the Rifle Brigade.

Sorry.

Harri.

South Staffs, Then The Rifle Brigade..

Thanks.

Dear Kevan,

Would you kindly check to see if there is any reference to the following:

61857 Driver Alfred BEET RFA - New John Street West, Birmingham

89545 Driver Tom BEET RFA - New John Street West, Birmingham

89549 Driver Harry BEET RFA - 193 Guildford Street, Lozells, Birmingham

61856 Driver William Henry BEET RFA - Hutton Road, Handsworth

Thank you very much for the kind offer.

Yardley

Pugh did not feature in the Bham Weekly Post. SDGW says he was born at Hughoffka Russia!

Pugh did not feature in the Bham Weekly Post. SDGW says he was born at Hughoffka Russia!

He was born in Russia (His Father was a boiler maker working out there, his mother was Russian, Olga) they moved back to England and lived at the School house, Dawley, Shropshire, hence he comes under my research.

However he was working in Birmingham and enlisted into the Birmingham Pals, hence my enquiry if he had been mentioned in the local newspaper. I have a lot of other info and pictures of H.R Pugh in my research material.

Dave

Hi Kevan,

Do you have anything on soldiers with the surname of Tranter please?

Thank you.

M&T

and also if you are not busy enough.... we have another family member - James JENKS killed in 1917 and remembered on the Menin Gate. It would be great if he was mentioned thank you.

Kevan; do you a picture having a surname Tipping or variation Tippin?

He was the father of my next door neighbour. All he knows is that he served in the Warwickshire Regiment; and was possibly invalided out in 1917.

He came from the Smethwick area of Birmingham.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, I have just seen your posting. I note it was put there some time ago so you may not still be in a position to hunt stuff down. If you are I would be very grateful if you can find anything on Rifleman William James Robinson 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade Z/1227, killed in action at the battle of Flers 15th September 1916 aged 21. Thank you very much, Malcom Robinson

Hello Kevan.

I wonder if you can help me? I am doing a project on Warrington Rugby League players (then Northern Union) who lost their lives in the Great war. One player was Sgt.978 Howard Davis, of the 8th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade. he was killed in action on 31.5.15, aged 27, and is buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. he originated from Birmingham and was educated at Aston GS.. He signed for Warrington from the Coventry club and was also a cricketer of some note, and his short obituary in the warrington Guardian describes him as 'a good all round athlete.' I am looking for any further information on him.

John

Search for the Aston GS site and e-mail the helpful school archivist

John

Search for the Aston GS site and e-mail the helpful school archivist

Thankyou. I had a quick look for it last night.

he is mentioned in the oldbury weekly news 27/4/17, with a newspaper picture

Hi Kevan, would you have anything on two relatives of an old friend, Private 306188 Thomas Bolton RWR KIA 1.7.16 and his brother Private 1836 Jack Bolton RWR KIA 1.7.16, they are my friends grandfather and great uncle, both Brummies

Kevan's last post in this topic was in 2010. Perhaps its time for a mod to close it? Thatsaid, I'm assuming Kevan has not been pm'ing folk.

Jack - Bham Weekly Post 28.10.16. Mother's appeal for info in the Missing Soldiers' Bureau column. She lived at 12, School Av,Moseley Rd, Bham. Born Kings Heath. 1/ 6th RWR

Thomas - husband of Florence, 1/6, Beales St, Aston. 1/8th RWR

Both killed in the same attack on the Heidenkopf strongpoint. 2 of c400 killed in the attack of the two Territorial Bns

Thanks Alan, she did know where her grandfather lived but had no idea where his brother lived. Her grannies tale like so many was very sad, the eldest child, a 12 year old daughter had to end her schooling and stay at home looking after her many siblings while mom worked all hours on a press in a factory, the fate of many families

Hi, would appreciate any info you might have for Harold Druce, 14th Warwicks, KIA on 5th October 1917.

He initailly enlisted with Somerset Light Infantry and was transferred to Warwicks at some point, no dates known.

Thanks in advance

CharieC

CWGC says 4.10.17 during 3rd Ypres.

The battalion was now to take part in what is now called the Battle of Broodseinde a phase of the Battle of Third Ypres. In the early hours of October 4 ‘A’ and ‘C’ companies led by Captain Bailey and Second Lieutenant Nicholls respectively moved forward to taped assembly positions in the rear of the 2/Kings Own Scottish Borderers. Their role was to assist the Scots in every way and, if called upon, to counter-attack immediately across the open and to drive the Germans out of their trenches. They should also be prepared to support the advance of the 1/Royal West Kents on their right. The rest of the battalion moved to assembly positions south of the Menin Road in the vicinity of Tower Hamlets and Dumbarton Wood. During these operations one officer was killed, Second Lieutenant Leslie G Wood, four wounded, 19 other ranks were killed, 79 other ranks were wounded and two were missing. The war diary includes detailed narratives of the events.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Well, you certainly have had a good response to this post of yours!

Could I add one to your list? - a very interesting casualty by the name of Zachariah Green.

He was born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham and residing in Handsworth at the time of his enlistment.

He was killed on 3rd November 1914 whilst serving with the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards as Private D1076.

Any information you could provide would be most welcome as I am the current custodian of one of his medals.

Sincere thanks,

Mike