The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

Kevan

Thanks very much for trying to find Arthur Edinburgh. Not surprised you could not find him. Don't think he was a native of Birmingham. Although he was married there in 1913. Haven't been able to pin down his birth place so far. Must send for his marriage cert.

Thanks anyway all the best

Alun

I have recorded thousands of photos and info on servicemen from Birmingham newspapers from 1914-19, The Birmingham News, Aston News, Handsworth Herald, The illustrated Mercury, etc. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. if i have them i will post them on forum.

kevan

I have seen your kind offer and I wondered if a soldier was born in Edgbaston but signed up with Coldstream Guards would his photo be in a Birminham paper?

Name = Harry HAMMOND died 28/9/15 service number 2819

thank you

hello richard

sorry for delay, i have attached article from the aston news dated 26 aug 1916

i will getting to all those that have posted request on site asap, sorry for delay, been ill

kevan

Hi Kevan

Hope you are well.

Very many thanks for researching my request and posting details from the Aston News.

Mrs S Barnett should read Mrs L Barnett, my maternal grandmother Lily Barnett nee Wood.

The only documentation of William I had is a copy of his MIC, so your post is most welcome.

Out of interest, Williams elder brother Henry perished on the RMS Titanic http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/henry-wood.html

Regards

Richard

I have seen your kind offer and I wondered if a soldier was born in Edgbaston but signed up with Coldstream Guards would his photo be in a Birminham paper?

Name = Harry HAMMOND died 28/9/15 service number 2819

thank you

I think I saw an offer to supply war diary info for this date if so my email is

katherine_chaveli@hotmail.co.uk

and thank you so much

Hello Kevan

I expect you now have a very large number of requests but I would greatly appreciate your help on this one:

200106 Cpl. (L.Sgt) W . T. Wright 1/6 th Bn. South Staffs Regiment.

He was a Birmingham man, won the DCM for taking a machine gun post and 18 prisoners on 3/10/1918 at Sequehart and died about 10 days later. ( Not sure if he died of wounds inflicted on 3/10/18 or in fighting after that.

Any photo would be great if at all possible.

Also, I want to try and find any article from the Bham papers detailing his bravery and subsequent death and would appreciate any tips on which newspapers are likely to have this type of information and where I can view these in Bham ?

Any assistance would very much be appreciated.

Thanks

Clive

Hi Kevan

Many thanks for your kind offer - this may be a long shot as finding any info on him has been negligible. Do you have anything in the newspapers for Arthur Beddows, he was born in Birmingham and served with the Royal Warks but I don't have his reg. number etc. He was wounded, gassed I think and survived the war. He is my husbands grandfather and is proving extremely shy! It would be lovely if something turned up.

Thanks Crystal

Kevan - that's an offer I can't refuse!!

If you have time would you mind looking for my two relatives;

SERGEANT HARRY HACKETT (he was from Old Hill near Dudley)

SERVICE NUMBER 15331

1ST BATTALION GRENADIER GUARDS (and latterly the 4th Battalion Grn Grds)

and

PRIVATE SAMUEL HACKETT (Harry's brother)

SERVICE NUMBER 201730

7TH BATTALION WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

Many thanks in advance.

AndyR

• 5 weeks later...

Kevan,

If you still have the energy after so many requests, I would really appreciate any information on my grandad and his cousins. The surname is unusual, which might help a little:

Private Henry Joseph Candelent, Z1637, 5th Rifle Brigade. assed in France.

Private George Candelent, 36604, 2nd Btn Devonshire Regiment. Born 1882, KIA 24 April 1918 at Villers-Bretonneux. Married to Emily, living at 5 Bredon Terrace, Brookfield Road, Birmingham.

Private Thomas Candelent, 53077, Worcestershire Regiment

Private Harold Candelent, 11th Btn Worcestershire Regiment

They were all from the Aston/Handsworth/Hockley area of Birmingham.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Kevan

Could you please be so king as to check another tankee

Gnr William Hudson born Aston Birmingham c 1897 the ten son (of eleven children) of Alfred William Hudson and Sarah Dolby. In 1901 living at 35 Fisher Street in Bishop Ryder North Birmingham (now the site of Aston Uni). Enlisted Coventry into the MMGS. Deployed to France on 16 Aug 16 and continued to serve with C Bn; served with 8 Coy. KIA on 22 Aug 17, during 3rd Battle of Ypres during attack near Hill 35 (possibly in C22 Curmegeon). Now buried at New Irish Farm near Pilkem Ieper

TIA

Stephen

• 5 months later...

Kevan,

If you still have the time could you please look for any details on the following two men;

Edward George HODGKISS 7896 1st Batt Royal Warwickshire Regiment

KIA 11 April 1917 Arras

Buried Point Du Jour Military cemetry Athies.

Born Wolverhampton, lived at 6/23 Beach Street , Ladywood

Edward SHEPPARD 6612 2nd Batt Royal Warwickshire Regiment

KIA 14 July 1916

no known grave, commerated at the Thiepval Memorial.

Lived 67 Salop Street, Highgate

We very much like to see photographs if possible.

Many Thanks

JP

• 1 month later...

My Grandfather, Ernest Victor Parker of 1/20th London Regt came from Handsworth... He was honourably discharged with neuralgia in 1917 having left France xmas 1916

• 3 months later...

I have recorded thousands of photos and info on servicemen from Birmingham newspapers from 1914-19, The Birmingham News, Aston News, Handsworth Herald, The illustrated Mercury, etc. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. if i have them i will post them on forum.

kevan

Hi - found your original post and wondered if you might have anyone in your Birmingham newspaper records with the surname Cameron who died of wounds in 1918? According to family stories he came from the Leamington Spa/Leamington Priors area. I have a picture (next to my name) but as you will see it's very faded. All I know is that he had the MM. He was supposedly the eldest son of an old English Catholic family but with a name like Cameron this doesn't seem likely. Thanks for any help.

• 3 months later...

Kevin have sent PM relating to this chap if you have ever come across an entry to him,i believe he had originally enlisted in the Royal Warwick, anything appreciated, Geoff

Albert William Kendall

Gunner

Service No:194486

Date of Death:16/01/1918

Regiment/Service:Royal Garrison Artillery

No. 3 (Tynemouth) Coy.

Grave ReferenceQ. U. 369.

CemeteryNEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE (ST. ANDREW'S AND JESMOND) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Albert William and Mary Kendall, of Hawkesbury, Upton, Gloucester; husband of Emma Kendall, of 16, Lyttelton Rd., Stechford, Birmingham. Elementary School Teacher and Organist.

Does your collection include the Smethwick area? If so I would apprecateany information you may have on 78252 Pte Frederick J Thorneycroft of Notts & Derbys KIA 31/7/17

Thanks

Peter

Hi Kevan,

My Grandfather served as 202593, A. Sgt Albert Townsend, 1/6th, 2/7th and 16th Royal Warwickshire regiment. He may have had service prior to getting his six figure number, but "facts" and "family history" don't quite match at present. He also had a half brother who was 2714 Pte Henry Townsend, 1st KRRC, kia 16 september 1914. Both were from Birmingham.

Is there a chance that either are in your data base?

Many thanks,

Owain.

• 2 months later...

Dear Kevan, thank you for your very generous offer. Anything at all on Frederick Henry Fulford, 11th battalion Royal Warks Reg, died of wounds 24.7.16?

Thanks again.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Anything on William Harold Roberts.... dont know his regiment but apparently he served in the middle/far East where he lost a leg and returned to small heath?

Anything at all on Frederick Henry Fulford, 11th battalion Royal Warks Reg, died of wounds 24.7.16?

Thanks again.

Alan

Sorry Alan

Missed this first time round.

On St Mary's Church memorial, Leamington

Service number 14/1602 which shows he originally enlisted in the 14th Bn i.e. 1st City Bn (Bham Pals).

Born Kenilworth. Enlisted Leamington after January 1 1916.

Pre-war worked at a Leamington Brewery

Died of wounds near Albert aged 22

CWGC says 14th Bn but other evidence suggests 11th.

Parents of 4, Pearson Cottage, Beaconsfield St, Leamington. His brother Pte A.E Fulford served in the RAMC, including Salonika.

Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

With the problem over which bn - as he died of wounds could have been 14th attack on Wood Lane (day before his death) or 11th around Pozieres July 15/16.

• 2 months later...

Kevan

I am new to the Forum so started a new topic about War Obituaries when I could just have replied here.

I am looking for Pte George Stevens k.i.a. Ypres July 1917 and Pte Albert John Stevens k.i.a. Somme 7th Oct 1916 both of the West Yorkshire Regiment. Might you have them on your database? They lived in Handsworth so perhaps the Handsworth Herald is a good bet. I had a reply to my first post explaining that I could send you a PM which I have also now done.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find more info about my grandfather William Bell (1894-1981) who served with the RGA for 4.25 years. All I know is that his number was 314597 and he lived around the Saltley Road (Duddeston) area at that time.

He did not go overseas until 1917, from his number I think he probably joined up early 1915.

Many thanks, Phil

post-92934-0-15852300-1348867599_thumb.j

A fine gentleman who I only knew for a short while, but think of often.

• 6 months later...

kevan derby hi, i have been searching for george hughes that died at galipoli but have been unable to trace any relatives as birmingham has so many hughes all i know is that it says he was born rd st martins i know that there were a few with the same name my father has a war mamorial plaque but having done the tree still cant trace where he comes from or why we have it only the same name i was wondering if any george hughes were in the papers to see if it said parents thanks lynnne byrne

This must be him....

Private George Hughes, 9th Warwicks. 5264. Died of wounds 10.8.1915. Aged 32. Single. Lived 189, St Luke's Rd, Edgbaston, Bham. Born St Martin's parish (not road) ,Birmingham. Joined Sept 1914. On a special memorial in Embarkation Pier Cemetery (a concentration cemetery) Turkey i.e. Gallipoli. When he died the battalion was no longer there so was wounded and left behind for treatment....

Account below gives context...

On July 24 the battalion, now commanded by Major Gordon, moved into Brigade Reserve at Geoghan’s Bluff. On the following day they relieved the 7/North Staffs, the day the Colonel was killed. In the early hours of July 29 the battalion was relieved by two units of the 29th Division and embarked for Lemnos from Cape Helles in the late evening. Thirteen men had been killed in just over two weeks on the Gallipoli peninsula. This relief probably gave Second Lieutenant J.R Starley the time and opportunity to write frankly home to ‘Dorothy’ on July 30 about the typical Gallipoli conditions which the battalion had endured….

“Gallipoli is dusty, hot and waterless. There are about twenty flies per square inch and 1 corpse per yard. Between the two lines of trenches corpses of Turks lie every yard or so in various stages of decomposition and decay……some days we really knew what thirst was, and water was so scarce that you go without even the apology for a wash except on the rare occasions when you go down to the beach and bathe with shrapnel bursting overhead….The first time I went into the trenches the indescribable smell of rotting flesh made me feel ill but in a day I got used to it, and then when I saw one of our men drop dead with a bullet through his head I felt absolutely nauseated, but have got used now to seeing a man have part of his head blown off and hear men murmur ‘another good feed for the flies’. People who have been fighting in France and in Gallipoli say that the latter is a thousand times worse than France as here we have not the slightest comfort only the bare ground, unvaried heat and hard food……The flies are the curse of the place and with an overdose of dust in the food no one feels in a good temper. We are tired of drinking tea or tepid water flavoured with disinfecting chemicals but must drink them or nothing”.

Hi Kevan

If you have anything on Pvt E McDermott 2nd Battn Royal Warks I'd be very grateful. I've found him in the casualty lists (wounded 1914 and then again at Loos) but then nothing. Number was 1713.

Thanks

kevan i cant remember if i posted this sorry if i have, i am trying to trace george hughes was from birmingham i know there was a few georges that died, there is one george hughes fron the royal warwickshire reg his regement no.5264 died at gallipoli on 10.8.15 i have tried myself with the papers but got a bit lost .if you could help i would be very grateful thanks lynne byrne

kevan,thankyou so much for that information i have tried myself with the papers but didnt know how long to leave it after the death,was his death recorded in one of the papers and if so was any next of kin down its hard to tie up all the george hughes in that area is there any info on a george thomas hughes royal warwicshire reg 1/8th batt from aston/witton no.305951 died 1st july 1916 france/flanders i hope you dont mind its a process of elimination so many with that name lynne byrne