Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

hello Sepoy im sorry but i dont have anything on Dew or Coslett, but if come across anything on them i shall let you know

kevan

I would be very grateful if you have any articles concerning Sergt Sidney Walker of Sutton Coldfield. Around March 1916 he was awarded the MM and I should love to know why he got this medal. I think it would have been mentioned in the Birmingham Evening Mail and or the Sutton Coldfield News. He may also have appeared in late 1918/early 1919 for his MC and bar.

Many thanks

Oppy

Very many thanks Kevin - I had hit a brick wall on him and you just lifted me over it!

Reference to schools in particular are fantastic leads. I live in W Yorks so would never have been able to get hold of the cuttings.

Whenever you have time a look up on Frank Trevor Wilkins as requested would be very much appreciated.

Your database is a remarkable effort, well done.

Alan Wallace

alan another article on 2LT Furse from the birmingham news dated 15 july 1916

kevan

Evening Kevin,

Any idea if the date on the newspaper?

The record show autumn 1915 but haven't got a date.

Also I have a couple of guys from Leamington and Wolverhampton that I am tracking down - would your records stretch that far?

Cheers

Alan W

hello Alan here is article about 2LT Furse wedding from the birmingham news.

Hi Kev

Thanks for all the info you are putting on. All of the news cuttings are very interesting to read.

Regarding the article on the two Furse brothers, Dave Vaux, has Alan Furse's Officers chest with bits of kit and loads of paperwork etc.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry,

Any idea how would I contact Dave Vaux?

Just interested if Alan survived the war and any background which may be available on WC

Many thanks

Alan W

Hi Kev

Thanks for all the info you are putting on. All of the news cuttings are very interesting to read.

Regarding the article on the two Furse brothers, Dave Vaux, has Alan Furse's Officers chest with bits of kit and loads of paperwork etc.

Cheers

Terry

Bham Weekly Post 14.11.14. Brief mention with no further info in De Ruvigny Vol 3. Reservist. Had been employed at Messrs Matthew ??? and Sons, Great Barr St. Well known in his district and much respected by all who knew him. Born and enlisted Bham. Lived Small Heath. Mother Mrs S Hasky ar 149, Coventry Road, Bham. Killed in action at Meteren in the first 'proper' British attack of the war.42 1st Bn killed that day and 85 wounded. Monty seriously wounded and almost died. The attack succeeded.

Private 8791 Samuel Haskey 1st Bn,Warwickshire Regiment,who was Killed in action on October 13th 1914 & is buried @ Meteren Cemetery,France,Samuel was born circa 1883~4,in Birmingham & was recorded in 1901 as a Billiard Maker,aged 17{making him around 30~32 when Killed}.

Thought to be from the Small Heath Area??

I would be grateful for any extra information/image? you may have regarding Pte Haskey from the Local Press

Do you have anything on Frank Rose of 353 Dudley Road, Birmingham? I haven't identified his regiment yet but his postcards were sent home between July 1915 and December 1915 by the 145th Brigade Army Post Office so he almost certainly served in the 48th (South Midland) Division; probably with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Any information gratefully received, thank you.

hello Oppy i think this might be your man from the 25th jan 1919 the handsworth herald

kevan

Dear Kevan

Many many thanks for the cutting. yes this is my man. I am very grateful. If you should come across anything to do with his MM awarded in 1916 I would be thrilled.

Best wishes

Oppy

I have recorded thousands of photos and info on servicemen from Birmingham newspapers from 1914-19, The Birmingham News, Aston News, Handsworth Herald, The illustrated Mercury, etc. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. if i have them i will post them on forum.

kevan

Hi Kevan

Hope you can help me with news paper look-up,

My late Uncle Pt 39317 Alfred Burns 57th Field Ambulance R.A.M.C,was taken as a pow on 10.4.1918 and died at a pow camp at Charleville on 6.10.1918,

he was the eldest son of Laura Burns and the late Henry Burns of Grove Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham.

Many thanks in advance

Bob

Do you have anything relating to a wounded soldier called Dent in your database? He seems to have lived at 10 Station Road, Handsworth.

Thank you.

Hi kevan

many thanks for the offer. The only serviceman that I am researching that I know came from Birmingham was

70887 Gunner Christopher French, 117th Heavy Bty, RGA who died on 11 Jan 1917. He was the son of Herbert & Elizabeth French of 32 Waverhill Rd, Handsworth, Birmingham

I appreciate the offer.

Thanks

Peter

Guest ladyflippers

Hi Kevan,

Thanks so much for the offer, I hope there aren't too many requests weighing you down! If you could have a look for Pte Samuel Wilkes of Clevedon Road, Balsall Heath that would be great. He died in battle on 20/09/1918 a member of the 10th Btn of the Royal Warwickshires, husband of Providence Beatrice Wilkes and father of Leonard, Stanley and two others yet to be indentified.

There is a family rumour that Carl Chinn did a write up on him but I haven't yet tracked that down.

Thanks in advance.

Jen

Kevan,

Do you have anything on the following:

Charles STROUD

Born Birmingham c.1880

Served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1897-1919

Wounded Ypres 1915

Died Birmingham 1947

Archibald John SOLLERS

Born Aston 1878

Resided Small Heath, Birmingham

Served in the Royal Field Artillery

Trench Fever 1917 - returned to UK

Mark

Hi Kevan

Do you have any entries for either of the two following soldiers? :-

Private George William Ball

Coldstream Guards no. 18351

Private Albert Edward Houlders

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 201196

Royal Irish Rifles 15/52354

Killed in action 2nd October 1918

Thanks for your help

Jason

Hi Kev

I thought you might be interested in Dave's new item. A framed piece of embroidery saying "Absent but not forgotten" and a postcard of a 9th Royal Warwick in full kit by the name of Ruane.

The name rings a bell with me concerning your own interest in the 9th Warwicks

Cheers

Terry

Two 9th Bn Ruane's killed...

Pte Justin Joseph R - 9694 - 10.8.15

2/Lt John Patrick - 2.11.17

Hi Kevan

Anything available for:

Name: WOOD, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 4759

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

from CWGC

regards

Richard

Hi, Kevan

Do you have anything on Francis (Frank) Shrive or his brother John Shrive (both RA). Or William Marsh, Royal Warwickshire?

Many thanks

Craig

I received an enquiry yesterday regarding a young Birmingham man. All his details suggest he was too young to go to war but his family believe he was wounded. Regiment and other details unknown and no medals held by the family. Given his details (below) I am a bit sceptical about whether he served during hostilities, but of course he may have been in Russia or some other place where fighting was going on in 1919/20. A quick search of service and medals records do not show any obvious match - so I would be grateful for anything on this man. I can then advise the enquirer on whether there is much more they can do.

Joseph Round. Birth registered first quarter 1903. Lived on Warwick Street in Birmingham.