Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

Hi Kevan: I know exactly the trouble you have went through in compiling your database and your offer to help anyone is very generous. My request to you is that a lot of Irish men enlisted from Birmingham, and I would be extremely grateful if you could tell me whether you came across any Irishmen (especially from the County Mayo) in your files. Once again, thanks. P. J. Clarke.

Kevan

Here is Wigley in another "group" taken at the same time

(he is ringed in yellow) and the man in the rear rank behind him is in the crew photo as well

this is what the caption says on Wigley photo

represented in the crews of the new tanks the operations of which have created so much consternation among the gerams and such dramatic interest throughout the whole world. a brum man corporal H B Wigley, who formerly lived in wordsworth road, small heath, forms one of the intrepid crews.

writing to his former employer, mr J J Woodgate, Coventry Road, Small Heath, he remarks, i suppose you saw that we had been in action. They gave us a welcome when we arrived here, and old Fritz gave up a warm reception too when we went in to action. Cpl Wigley is marked with the cross.

26 september 1916 the birmingham daily mail

one more tank man pte W J Smith from the birmingham weekly illustrated mercury 29 12 17

tank arrives in Bham 17 12 1917 the birmingham daily mail

kevan

post-3604-091103400 1286317673.jpg

post-3604-036211200 1286317786.jpg

I'll do some more digging on the Tank Men tomoroow - thanks for the wonderful leads

Kevan

Wondered if you had anything for the following four officers:

Second Lieutenant William Dixon

Date of death – 23rd June 1918

Service – 3rd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Secondary Service – 25th Squadron Royal Air Force

Son of Arthur and Maud Dixon, of 207 South Road, Handsworth, Birmingham. Native of Birmingham.

Lieutenant Leslie Aubrey William Hunter

Date of death – 3rd November 1918

Service – 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Son of the Rev. W. F. W. Hunter (Vicar of St. Mary's, Birmingham), and the late Mrs. Hunter, of 61 Albert Road, Aston, Birmingham.

Second Lieutenant Alfred Edgar John Shackleford

Date of death – 9th May 1915

Service – 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Husband of Eveline Shackleford, of Acacia Bungalow, Kensington Road, Selly Park, Birmingham.

Lieutenant James Kirk Simpson M.C

Date of death – 11th April 1918

Service – 9th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Son of Mr and Mrs R Simpson, of 222 Highfield Road, Hall Green, Birmingham.

Thanks

Stuart

Hello Kevan,

amongst my late father -in - laws estate were 2 death plaques for Charles Jones and Tom Mansell. I understood from him that they were given to him by a neighbour who had found them in derelict properties in Birmingham during demolition or renovation works.

CWGC details show Mansell dying on 15th Sept 1916 (Middlesex Regt). He was son of William Mansell of 37 Wolseley St Birmingham.

A possible for Charles Jones is a resident of 2/40 Hope Street Birmingham, shown killed on 19th April 1916.

I am trying to catch up with descendants to return these and wonder if they feature amongst your research, as I hope that added details will be of interest.

many thanks in anticipation.

regards

Dave Arnold

2/Lt P. N. Dingley was in B Battalion, Tank Corps. I have him in two different tanks on the same date - 30 November 1917 when I record him against both B27 "Bloodstone II" and B12 "Bantam". This is odd, though not necessarily impossible. But it does mean I'll need to double check my database.

Hi Kevan

Do you have anything on Pte Arthur Sealey 55142 of the 15th Lancashire Fusiliers, who died of wounds 2nd Oct 18 and is buried at Brie British Cemetry.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Martin

Hi Kevan,

Anyone with the surname Dawe would be very much appreciated. Driver Martin Dawe (ASC) is whom I have identified so far. His father was a police officer in the Birmingham Constabulary.

Rgds

Tim

hi kevan ,

you got anything in the papers about 14/1535 pte alfred james stringer of 1/5 warwicks killed 10/8/17?

thanks

enoch

Thanks Kevan,

Much appreciated.

hello sturat sorry i havent anything on your seforth higland officers.

i do have the following, i shall let you know if find anything on them.

kevan

post-3604-044929100 1286468936.jpg

Kevan

Do you have anything on Pte 1863 George White of the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment DOW 21.03.1915, Pte 305702 Arthur Lambeth of the 11th Battalion Royal warwickshire Regiment KIA 27.04.1917 or Pte 13781 Frederick Clives of the 7th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, KIA 08.08.1915.

These are the three men listed in my signature, all three were from the Aston and Duddeston area's of Birmingham, I lack a photograph of any of them and have no information at all on Arthur Lambeth (although I have his medals) or Frederick Clives. I do have an obituary for George White from the Birmingham Weekly Post of 27.03.1915, which was placed by his widow, but wondered if you have anything extra.

Regards

Stephen

Dear Kevan

Further to my post (no 24) I assume that you were unable to find RSM Dews or my relations, but thank you for looking.

I would, however, be extremely grateful if you could look to see whether the following sailor is listed:-

J14039 Able Seaman Leonard Gwynne Coslett, H.M.S.Cornwallis, RN

Killed in Action at V Beach, Gallipoli 25th April, 1915.

He lived at 12 Church Road, Mosley and is shown in the Birmingham Roll of Honour

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Sepoy

Good afternoon Kevan,

Many thanks for the kind offer,

I wonder if it would be possible to check for two Northumberland Fusiliers who came from the Birmingham Area please.

William Henry Furse, 21st NF who was KIA 1/7/1916

and

Frank Trevor Wilkins, 1st NF (Ex 15th Border Reg) who DOW on 3/7/1916

Many thanks

Alan Wallace

Hi Kevan;

Private 8791 Samuel Haskey 1st Bn,Warwickshire Regiment,who was Killed in action on October 13th 1914 & is buried @ Meteren Cemetery,France,Samuel was born circa 1883~4,in Birmingham & was recorded in 1901 as a Billiard Maker,aged 17{making him around 30~32 when Killed}.

Thought to be from the Small Heath Area??

I would be grateful for any extra information/image? you may have regarding Pte Haskey from the Local Press

TiA

HB