Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

Hello Kevan,

If possible, could you please look for K9864 Jesse Field, Leading Stoker R.N., who was from Birmingham.

He became a P.O.W. in February 1916 when H.M.S. Arabis was lost, & died a P.O.W. in hospital, Halmstadt on 1st November 1917.

Thanks for your kind offer,

David.

Kevan

Have you any record of G24184 Pte William Stringer of the 8th Battalion Royal Sussex Regt. He was wounded on 23rd March 1918 near Noyon and died of wounds in the UK. three weeks or so later. He was from Handsworth and is buried in Handsworth Parish Church. He is my wife's Gt.Grandfather.

Tony P

Hi Kev

Hope you are well.

"38184 (206178) Gnr William Henty Barber, born April to Jun ‘81 at Kings Norton. Enlisted Birmingham. KIA on 16 Sep ‘16 aged 35 years. Son of William Charles and Frances Elizabeth Barber, of 8 Cheshire Rd. Smethwick, Staffs. Body not found, commemorated on Thiepval Memorial."

The soldier, above, was killed when Tank D14 was hit by German artillery fire near the village of Gueudecourt. I am visiting the somme this coming weekend and will be following the movements of the Tanks on 15/16 Sept 1916.

Have you a photo of him please.

Regards

Terry

Kevan,

Thanks very much for the piece on Jesse Field, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

David.

Hello Tony here is article on W Stringer, from the handsworth herald dated 13 april 1918.

if you need a better copy pm me with your email address and i send you a copy

kevan

post-3604-020073400 1285851437.jpg

hello mark here is Charles Cyril Evans RWF, from the birmingham weekly illustrated mercury dated 27 jan 1917.

kevan

post-3604-034515400 1285961123.jpg

Thanks Kevan - your time is much appreciated!

hello malcolm here is article on j ablitt, from the bham daily mail 1917

kevan

Kevan,

you are a star. The very man.

This is the information for John's first MM (war diary entry below).

He was awarded the Bar in June 1918 (from war diary) and the DCM was awarded on 7/11/1918.

Even on an old photo like this he is unmistakeable !

Thanks for your efforts, I am delighted, but not as delighted as my Mum will be who hasn't seen this since 1940.

M

post-51527-066335300 1286050347.jpg

Hi Kevan,

Probably a long shot but could you have a look for Pte. Albert Edward Hunt 1/1 Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars (Yeomanry) He enlisted 1915 and was a Warwickshire Yeoman for a brief time while in training. He lived in, and was married to a local Birmingham girl.

Cheers,

Ken

Any chance you have anything on Private C Rowbotham Royal Berkshire Regiment attatched to 165th labour corps,he was an Aston lad and died November 1917 and is buried at Arneke France. Regards Garry

Hi Kevan,

I would appreciate it if you could check if you have anything on the following soldier:

8476 Lance Corporal Thomas Leonard Willetts, 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, Killed in action 12th March 1915.

Many thanks, David.

Thanks Kevan. A very different photograph of Cyril Evans from the one that appears as my avatar. There are now two known photographs of him!

Thank you very much for the article on Thomas Leonard Willetts! I had previously found him listed as wounded and missing in The Times June 7th 1915 along with 9116 Private Henry William Cole 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Regards, David.

hello good to hear from you

im sorry but i havent anything on your man, but i will let you know if i do find anything.

i have a few men from tank regt from birmingham, i will post them on forum for you.

first one is pte e hunt from the birmingham daily mail 4th oct 1916

kev

post-3604-018475400 1286259401.jpg

one more for you terry, a brum man in tank regt cpl H B Wigley and men from the birmingham daily mail 26 sept 1916

kev

post-3604-023459800 1286259815.jpg

terry here is a cartoon from birmingham mail 26 sept 1916, if i come across anything else i will let you know

kev

post-3604-063819400 1286260070.jpg

one more for you terry, a brum man in tank regt cpl H B Wigley and men from the birmingham daily mail 26 sept 1916

kev

What a terrific find this is :w00t: ! It appears to be a photo of the crew of the Female Mark I 512, D21. Delta, have you seen this?

No I had not - it's brilliant

Kevan - can you sned me a copy - it's a wonderful find - thank you

and the fellow E Hunt above was in C6 "Cordon Rouge" at Courcelette on 15th September

what I have about him is "2633 Gnr Ernest Albert Hunt Initially in MMGS then transferred to MGC and deployed to France on 24 Aug ’16. MM awarded (LG 14 Nov 09) not recorded in Tank Corps BoH. Tank Corps (206202). Commissioned into Tank Corps (no date on MIC). T/Lt 28 Feb ’19. Relinquished commission on completion of service 31 Mar ’20. Home address shown as 144 Kenelm Road, Small Heath Birmingham. Medals issued Jun 1920."

Cpl Wigley is also a marvellous confirmation. I had "poss 206107 Harold B Wigley POW from 11 Apr 17 to 11 Nov 18. Born 88 at Birmingham, the son of a carpenter Henry B Wigley and his wife Sarah 91 living in 61 Caroline St, St Pauls Birmingham; possibly married in Jul to Sep 25 to Miss Violet G B Stanley later lived at Hannover St Bromsgrove (1963 Phone directory) Wigley shown as a commission agent.

I can read the "caption" - does any of the above ring true

S