Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

I have recorded thousands of photos and info on servicemen from Birmingham newspapers from 1914-19, The Birmingham News, Aston News, Handsworth Herald, The illustrated Mercury, etc. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. if i have them i will post them on forum.

kevan

post-3604-093866400 1285450796.jpg

Thank you for the offer, do you happen to have any information on soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers, particularly relating to 1914. A number of the Battalion came from the Birmingham area.

Many thanks Neil

Kevan

I would appreciate any information you may have on the following man. I have been unable to find a commemoration for him in Birmingham, although his wife's address was given as Erdington.

John William Perry

Private 37206

1st Bn., Worcestershire Regiment

Died: Tuesday 31st July 1917. Age 35.

Son of David Perry; 4, Elan Village, Rhayader.

Husband of Harriett Amanda Perry; 191, Bromfield Lane, Erdington, Birmingham.

Memorial: Ypres Menin Gate. Panel 34.

The 1911 census has John(also known as Jack)Perry living with his family in Bromford Lane, Erdington.

Kevan, I don't know have your photo's indexed but can you search for a certain regiment?

If so I would be interested in any Ox & Bucks you have please.

Kevan

Do you have anything recorded for the 25th Bn. Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen)? They had a number of men from the Birmingham area including those on the list attached.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

post-1432-027480700 1285459441.jpg

I've got a CD of these newspapers that I purchased a couple of years ago. Probably off yourself !

Neil

Any pictures of Pte John Heath 14th Bn RWR dow 29/8/1916? Resident Don St Winson Green...

Thanks!

Any mention of my avatar 36320 Private Cyril (officially recorded as Charles Cyril, as apparently he thought Cyril was a 'sissie' name) Evans, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers from Glovers Road, Small Heath, missing, believed killed at Serre on 13th November 1916 would be much appreciated. Also 721 Private John ('Jack') Hone, 1st Battalion the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, killed in action 24th October 1918. These are my two great uncles. I did some research on them nearly 30 years ago at Birmingham Central Library and did find an obit for Jack Hone but nothing about Cyril Evans.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kevan

A generous offer indeed. Would you have anything on a Lt Alexander McD Nevin, RAMC, address of 674 Stratford Road, Birmingham. I have an interest as he's buried in locally to me.

Thanks in anticipation, regards, Tommy.

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure if it's your disc I have....

Have you anything on Pte William McGee, Royal Warwicks ?

He was awrded the MM for Arras in 1917

Cheers

Neil

There was a Pte Samuel Wood 30378 14th Bn Warwicks i.e. 1st Bham Pals. Killed 3.9.16. Somme. Born Holly Hall, Worcs, Enlisted Worcester.Lived Dudley. Originally Worcs Rgt 29806.On the Thiepval Memorial.

I am researching my wife's family - her great grandfather was Samuel Wood of Birmingham. Supposedly fought in WW1 - are there any Samuel Wood on you database?

Anything at all for this chap.

SKUSE, Private Charles Henry.

Enlisted: Nottingham.

Age given: Born Purton.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Birmingham.

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

71257 10th (Service) Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nott’s and Derby Regiment).

British War Medal, Victory Medal.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Killed in action on the 20th October 1918. Buried in NEUVILLY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, 10, C10. (Nord France). SDGW records that 16, 10th Battalion men died on this date.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: SDGW listing

Best regards

Bob

Hi Kevan

If it's not too much trouble, could you check for ERIC HALE BIRD. He was a driver in the ASC, and served in France. Eric was born and lived in Birmingham - where he was managing a munitions factory before joining up.

He survived the war, and did not win any gallantry medals or anything, so maybe he won't make it into the papers.

Many thanks

Angela

Hello Kevan, anything on my great-uncle, 326 L.Cpl Ernest Gordon Bennitt, 15th Royal Warwicks, from Harborne. KIA 04.06.16, would be appreciated.

cheers Martin B

Hi Kevan.

Would it be possible to check if you have anything about a private 2925 Stephen Harry Hills. Although not born in Birmingham, he was living in Moseley when he enlisted in Birmingham on 22nd May 1915 and was then posted to the 18th Battalion (1st Public Works Pioneers) Middlesex Regiment. He died of wounds in France 15th October 1916.

Thank you very much,

Scobie

Hello Kevan

I would be extremely grateful if you could help me by looking up the following Birmingham Men:-

5229 Regimental Sergeant Major Frederick Dews,

11th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (MID LG 15th June 1916) KIA 20th September, 1916

and anything on these two brothers, the sons of John and Eliza Hudson

George Wiliam Hudson (Born 1888 in Small Heath - later a resident of Aston)

John Edward Hudson (Born 1884 in Aston)

Many thanks in anticipation

Sepoy

Hey ! Kevan,

Thanks for the offer.

I'd be very grateful if you could find anything on Spr 97711 John Ablitt MM DCM. He was born in Poplar, London, but lived at Belchers Lane, Small Heath before and after the Great War. He was my Grandfather, and all the cuttings and documents he had relating to his gallantry medals were destroyed by the Luftwaffe in 1941. I think they were from the Birmingham Mail. I live in northern Scotland and getting to the Birmingham Central Library is none too easy.

Thanks

Malcolm

PS that's him on the left !