Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Denbigh Hussars Yeomanry

Mrstocking

Here is another interesting chap that I would like to know more about....

Insert from the London Gazette, October 23, 1908.

* Tenure probably ended in 1913.

The picture below is from a postcard and the DHY were recognized in it only by their insignia and uniform.... this led on to finding out the Adjutant. The PC was originally put down as the Wiltshire Yeomanry (a common mistake).

post-29164-0-47572500-1422128574_thumb.j

Thanks Jules..... is that a scan from the original photo.... or is it simply an enlarged version from the image in this thread using PhotoShop?

Samuel Clifford Holland; born 7th Sept 1878, son of Samuel Holland of Lyndhurst, Higher Broughton, Manchester.

Educated at The Leys School, Cambridge. Admitted Trinity College Cambridge 1897, he was commissioned 2nd Lieut. in the 1st KDGs 1900 and made Lieut. the following year. Served in the South African War.

He was made Adjutant to the Denbigh Imp. Yeomanry on 20th December 1906, described as Lieutenant 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards, and to hold the temporary rank of Captain. He ceased to be Adjutant in 1909.

Seems to have served initially at the War Office. His MIC card states arrived France 1915, qualifying for the 1914-15 Star trio. Initial appointment was as 1st Dragoon Guards, Assistant Military Secretary, 1st Army. Subsequently awarded DSO (1917), Chevalier of the French Legion of Honour, and (at least one) mention in dispatches, LG 4 Jany 1917. In this he was shown as "Reserve of Officers. Dragoon Guards. Staff". Rank 1915 Captain & Brevet Major. This didn't change throughout, but his BWM/VIC medals were to be impressed as Major.

He applied for his medals in January 1919 but hadn't received them before he died on 13th Sept. 1919. Medals were sent to his widow via a solicitor in London. Probate gives his last address as St.Anne's, Galway, Ireland and his widow as Ethel Mabel Holland. His estate was valued at £3135. No sign of him in CWGC so had probably left the army by the time he died, and the cause of death was not war-connected.

Clive

Thanks Clive

Here is the chap before him:-

Capt James H E Holford DSO
7th Hussars
Adjutant DHIY 3/Jan/1902 - 1906

London Gazette Jan 6th 1903:-

Captain James H E HOLFORD D.S.O.
7th Hussars
Is seconded for service as Adjutant of Imperial Yeomanry on the 3rd of January 1902.

* The photo below is from the DHIY Llanfairfechan 1904 photo.

post-29164-0-53607600-1422132332_thumb.j

Nick

As you can see from the image below, the "Troop" Corporal (circa 1913) is wearing the small Prince of Wales feathers above his chevrons. Hopefully, if you can get a hi-resolution image from the T E Penson group photo of the Sergeant next to Tom Penson..... it will show the same thing. Proving that this NCO Arm badge carried on into the 24th (DHY) Btn RWF.

Troop Corporal, DHY

Thanks Jules..... is that a scan from the original photo.... or is it simply an enlarged version from the image in this thread using PhotoShop?

It's from the thread using Microsoft Picture Manager

Here it is again with another tinker.

post-40034-0-14657800-1422220159_thumb.j

Thanks Jules..... its probably this on the Pith Helmet. When they were wearing their normal forage cap it most likely had the bronzed brass prince of Wales feathers of the Denbigh Yeo.

post-29164-0-26148700-1422220613_thumb.j

Jules..... thats the image of the small brass fusilier grenade above the chevrons. The image that I am after in a higher resolution will be this one (I have PhotoShop).... showing the Prince of Wales feathers above the chevrons.

post-29164-0-92606200-1422223683_thumb.j

Edited by Albert Lester

• 10 months later...

I note all the discussion about my gt. uncle's (TE Penson) group photo BUT who are the other 6 NCOs?

Can any one put names to the six?

I am delighted to have found this photo - I had the others via my grand mother - his grave is visited regularly.

• 3 months later...

I wonder if any of the Denbigh experts can help me out with some pre War details for one of the men i have been researching.

I have alot of details for Edmonds brothers (Arthur Kenneth & Mervyn Stronge), but i am trying to confirm the dates that Edmond was on the Denbigh books, His 1914 papers stated 5 years service with them. The family moved to Wiltshire in 1911.

Edmond St. John Richardson.

Prior to the Great War Edmond held a commission for four years with the Denbighshire Hussars Yeomanry. As mobilization was ordered Edmond desperately wired his old Regiment but all vacancies were filled, as were all positions in the Wiltshire Yeomanry. He therefore signed on as a trooper in Swindon with the Wiltshire Yeomanry, his mother described in Remembrance Wakes that this was done “without consulting us”.

Enlisted: 03/08/1914 (Territorial Force), Swindon.

Age given: 26 years. Born 23/09/1888, Newtownards.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Purton. Eldest Son to Arthur and Ethel Richardson of Purton House. He later married Rose Ethel (nee Stronge, 2nd Cousin) in August 1920 who worked in a munitions works in Coventry during the Great War.

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

883 Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry. Silver War Badge (Sick 411801).

Extracts from: Pension record, Remembrance Wakes.

27/11/1914 Discharged (Rheumatism). Edmonds mother wrote in Remembrance Wakes that the damp and exposure on Salisbury plain proved too much for Edmond. After a period of Hospitalization in Bath he returned to his unit but again broke down and was discharged.

20/05/1918 SWB rolls show "finally discharge" Para 2 (A2) (Para156 (X1) T.F Rgn,

• 3 months later...
Guest reddragon7175

Hi-first post so bear with me!

I'd certainly be interested in finding out more about the Hussars in the Middle East-

my Taid (grandfather) served in the unit and my mum still has quite a few things from the campaign-his stirrups, chain mail epauletes , canvas camp bed (still in good condition) and a set of photos, all backed on card postcards. Many of them are simple Egypt sightseeing pics, but there are several of troops both mounted and dismounted, and one fascinating one of Turkish POWs being loaded or unloaded onto a good train (which fits with the unit's lines of communication duties) .

I have his medal card somewhere (his name was John Vaughan Jones 376 later RWF 345021 , though his middle name has been incorrectly transcribed as "Vanshan" in the searchable database) . He was commissioned later in the war (the commission is still around at my parent's house.....somewhere, and I've checked that he was Gazetted on 18/9/18 from L/Cpl) and I suspect this was lucky timing for him as he avoided going to the Western Front. If I can get hold of the photos to scan I'll post them on here, was also thinking of sending a CD of them to the museum in Caernarfon and the records offices? 

• 2 years later...
On 11/11/2014 at 09:45, Mrstocking said:

Another interesting real photographic postcard, recently purchased on Ebay.

I'm assuming two brothers, one a member of the Denbigh Hussars Yeomanry, the other the Royal Army Medical Corp.

It would be great to identify them!post-59008-0-52987700-1415699107_thumb.j

See the link here https://www.cheshireroll.co.uk/soldier/?i=31457/harry malcolm-smith you will also be able to read up on his brother standing next to him.

TprHSmith4.jpg

755 (DHY) 345201 (24RWF) Cpl. H M Smith

• 1 year later...

Hello Can anyone help with information regarding my great uncle Thomas Unsworth 73018, 24th battalion Denbighshire Yeoman Welsh Royal Fusiliers died 3rd March 1918

buried Jerusalem War Cemetery. I have no photograph of him or details. Many thanks 

On 26/11/2014 at 05:39, Matt Crinyion said:

My great grandfather James Crinyion (from Birkenhead) was Regimental Sergeant Major (Acting Warrant Officer Class 1) with the Denbigh Hussars Yeomanry (632) and 24th (Denbighshire Yeomanry) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers (345170). Joined the Yeomanry in September 1914 at the age of 34. He had just done 12 years Short Service (Cavalry of the Line ) to Corps of Hussars of the Line (8th Hussars 4882, later 15th Hussars 4452) from 1900 to 1912 serving overseas in India.

Mentioned in depatches by General EHH Allenby, Commander in Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force 3rd April 1918. Also awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) for action in Flanders September to November 1918.

Have attached a couple of photos. First photo of James in front of a desert camp. Hand written “El Alamein” on back of photo so I’d guess 1916 in Egypt when defending Suez. Second photo (undated) of James (sitting on second row far right of picture) with a group of other sergeants. Have no other names. Looks to be taken in a hall (Wrexham or Birkenhead D Squadron?).

post-118444-0-30203400-1416980168_thumb.post-118444-0-64571800-1416980191_thumb.

If a soldier was awarded a Military Medal 24/ R. W. Fus. Would he had any service with the Denbigh Yeo.?.    345795 Pte. H. Brown.   Thank you.     Lyn.

Edited by roselyn2

Roselyn2,

Henry Brown 345795, born Farnborough, apparently started as Pte. 54115 South Wales Borderers.  He transferred from them to the RWF and served with 24th Battalion in Palestine till March 1918 when he accompanied them to France. MM gazetted 8 Feb. 1918 by the source I used, but if correct that would indicate it was for Palestine not France?  So no previous service with the Denbigh Hussars.  

Clive

Clive. Thank you.  54115 H Brown was also awarded the Croix De Guerre. Belgium.  L. G. 4. 9. 1919.   with documents.  With the 6th. Batt.     Lyn.

• 1 year later...

This is a bit of a shot in the dark but I’m trying to pin down a great Uncle’s service history before the MGC (April 1915 to Oct 1916)

Part of that research is the man next to him in the medal roll

He is:

John Llewellyn Davies 

His MGC number is 60839.  He was a Cpl and survived the war.  His MGC number was issued in October 1916.

His pension record has the clear annotation of “Den Yeo” but no service number. His pension card also lists him as a Cpl Shoe/Smtih.

Grateful for any steers 

5 hours ago, AndrewSid said:

His MGC number was issued in October 1916.

That number does indeed seem to be an Oct 1916 issue. Looking at the few surviving records for near( ie +/-20)numbers I couldn't spot any obvious pattern of eg transfers from another regiment. I saw anything from ex  R Irish Fus to direct mobilisation of a Derby man to MGC.  But in absence of other pistes I understand you will want to exhaust the DYeo possibility. 

What was the GU's civil occup? 

Charlie 

Ps I note that he is in a batch of 5 close numbers (60836-40) that are marked 'Disembodied', implying TF before transfer to MGC..

Edited by charlie962

60836 Heseltine was from Colne, near Burnley and attested Easter 1915 but did not go overseas until c March 1917. Unlikely to be Denbeigh Yeo?

Charlie,

Apologies.  My GU Sydney Heseltine has a thread on here. His unit prior to MGC from April 1915 to Oct 1916 is what I’m looking for.

Clues are all I have:

He was a MGC transport Sgt and thus mounted -  several pictures in jodhpurs.

A picture between April 1915 and July 1916 - prior to MGC - again in jodhpurs - no Regiment insignia visible

4 men around him on the medal roll with distinctive “disembodied” statuses on discharge.  Suggesting a TF unit prior to MGC.  One of them is Davies with the “Den Yeo” annotation on pension roll.

Prior to service he worked in a mill in Colne.  No horsey background of note. 

As i said, like many MGC men, grasping at straws.

He won a DCM which at least allows me to unpick his MGC service well.

Andy

Edited by AndrewSid