Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Hi all. I just love this thread, keep them coming. I wonder if this street is still there and mostly intact? Would make a great then and now photo.

Ceers

Belper Drill Hall how it is now. Still in use with the Belper Detachment of the Derbyshire Cadet Battn. WFR

post-20062-079138300 1287047690.jpg

Well done, John. I felt sure that if you hadn't told us about Belper Drill Hall, Gwyn (Forum Pal Dragon) would have been able to put us right.

I echo Grumpy's observation that this is becoming a classic thread.

Cheers,

Nigel

1st 5th Battn, N/Derby at camp, look at the car and kit, the chap middle back row has a scout badge on.

post-20062-006902800 1287156069.jpg

post-55705-093332800 1287214233.jpgpost-55705-085364200 1287214204.jpg

any one care to comment on uniforms??Info I received with Photos "London Regt. POW IN GROUP, 2nd Photo "20th BTN., POW

post-55705-077535500 1287216309.jpg

London Regt. 9th Btn (Queen Victoria's Rifles) Interesting tunic?????

Corp 203006 N/Derby later 725749 24th London, Albert E.E. Hancock. Note the " S " on sleeve above a marksman badge. I understand that he was not a scout or a signaller. His son lives just around the corner from me and his tunic complete with 24th flashes, boots, dairy etc is locked up in a cupboard at my friends house who died some years ago.

post-20062-028172900 1287221834.jpg

John and Robins2, thankyou for your generous contributions to this thread. Lovely images. Norman, I have no idea and look forward to the answer. Thanks for posting a Frenchman...nice to see. I must get more of mine scanned and posted...watch this space.

Regards

TT

Hi TT could be a very long wait as I have no idea of what it is on the rifle. Various suggestions (not gwf) include a bright light! Though why you would want to shine a light on the enemy whilst taking aim beats me plus some form of remote firing system and finally a grenade launcher. It is not often that things defeat the forum but this looks like a candidate.

Regards

Norman

For going into dugouts / tunnels perhaps...if it were a light?

TT

Pte. 201602 Alvey Bickerton, 1st/5th Notts and Derby. Alvey was born in 1890 at Borrowash, Derby. Married to Ethel with one child, Florence, he worked as a wagon repairer at the Carriage and Wagon works in Derby. Went to France with the Battalion in Feb.1915 and sadly was killed in action during the attack at Gommecourt Wood, Somme, on the 1st July 1916. Buried in Gommecourt Wood New Cemetery, Foncquevillers, France.

post-20062-072962700 1287225657.jpg

For going into dugouts / tunnels perhaps...if it were a light?

TT

Agreed, many kilometres of long dark tunnelways under the French fort systems, especially when the Germans have destroyed the power supplies.

Looks to me to be an attached light of some kind, with the cable leading back to a portable battery pack.

Cheers, S>S

A light for going down tunnels attached to a battery pack?, why not just a hand held light? no need to attach it to the rifle that I can see. I do agree that it looks like some form of torch but if it was and attached to the weapon it was decades in front of its time and I thnk that somewhere on the forum we would have seen some mention of it. If it was it fact such an attachment used in tunnel eighting you would make a fine target for the enemy.

Best wishes

Norman

PS Here is the pic on Flickr so it can be enlarged.

WW1 French Soldier

A light for going down tunnels attached to a battery pack?, why not just a hand held light?

If it was in fact such an attachment used in tunnel fighting you would make a fine target for the enemy.

Have you ever tried to hold onto a light and operate a rifle at the same time - it can't be done. The beam of this powerful torch would illuminate the target area for sighting. Agreed it would be hazardous as in giving away your position, but so would be just carrying a lamp, and then you still can't make out your target for returning fire.

This kind of rig has been used for 'night hunting' for many years in my country - we just call it "spotlighting". You would be surprised how well it can work. Perhaps you should start this in a new thread.

Cheers, S>S

WILLIAM LAWN BIRDSALL

Trooper, 2nd Life Guards. Service No: 2516.

Died: 13th May 1915.

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL, Panel 3.

Birdsall_W02.jpg

Birdsall_W01.jpg