Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Q...reversed negative or Sam Browne strap worn opposite way to army?

TT

His buttons go the wrong way as well, so the former - how he should appear:

http://postimage.org/image/1e3os739g/

oGvm0.jpg

Going with the Backwards Sam Browne thing.

Here is a squad of what I take to be MPs wearing the Sam Browne backwards (presumably to support cuffs or a truncheon or...) The officer in the center has his on in the conventional fashion.

post-14525-024338600 1285818610.jpg

Chris

Unknown ASC man with a great driving coat, simplified pattern Service dress, 03 belt and pouches, SMLE and trench cap.

post-14525-090237200 1285819271.jpg

Chris

Don't know what is going on here...outdoor studio "somewhere in France"

4 different regiments: 4 different styles of jacket, 4 different forms of hose/puttees/spats, 3 or 4 different kilt tartans, 3 different types of Glengarries...

I have spent ages puzzling over this picture, its almost like an illustration of possible variations.

My best guess is it might be representatives of 4 different Canadian Scottish units? I say Canadian largely because of the 7 button tunic.

post-14525-072656600 1285820334.jpg

Chris

This is my Great Uncle Syd.

He was Sapper Andrew Cyril Kilkenny, a son of Andrew and Evangeline Kilkenny of Osmondthorpe in Leeds. His entire war was spent in Egypt and Palestine and he died of pneumonia in Alexandria on 22 November 1918. He now lies buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, M205.

Syd's CWGC page

SydSolo.jpg

:poppy:

Nigel

Nigel,

How tragic and so far away. Have you visited his grave?

Regards

TT

Hello Tim,

I haven't visited the grave, but it is something I will do before too long, even if it is the only thing I do in Egypt.

It is ironic that almost 20 years ago my cousin was working as an Archaeologist and Egyptologist all over the country, but at that time none of us knew where Syd was buried and so the opportunity was missed.

Even though no one in my family was born when Syd died, the effect it had on the family is still spoken about by my eldest relatives. It seems that my great granddad took the death of his son particularly hard. He had been a professional career soldier and served from 1879 to 1902 with 1st and 2nd Bn York and Lancaster Regiment. Perhaps the carnage of the Great War was traumatic for a soldier used to fighting on a much smaller scale and for less time. Perhaps his relief at the war being over and then it being shattered by the death of his son was almost to much to bear.

Until his death at the age of 91 in 1952, my great granddad spent many hours 'reading' in his shed at the bottom of his garden. Referring to it as a shed doesn't do it justice really, it was a small wooden building, well stocked with books and equipped with a stove and kettle.

It was a retreat to which he went when he needed time on his own, to think and, I'm sure, to mourn his son. Visitors were expected to anounce themselves and wait to be invited inside.

Cheers,

Nigel

thought to be my gran's cousin,william Sanderson, from Wray near Lancaster,he survived the war.

York 16,

Thanks for posting. Nice clear image of Kings Own Cap Badge and simplified tunic uniform.

TT

Yorkshire Regt. Unknown battle patch. Any suggestions?

Thanks

TT

post-15846-057730900 1285923902.jpg

Chris,

I presume Herbert Longthorn was in the 7th (Reserve) Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, given that he wears the Hanoverian Horse rather than the Leeds Rifles cap badge that the 1st/7th and 2nd/7th wore?

If so there is a slim chance my granddad knew him as they were in the same battalion for a while, but possibly not at the same time.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, sorry for the confusion . Herbert was called up on 2/11/17, joinimg the 6th resevre Bn West Yorks . He was transferred to 1/7th Bn West Yorks on the 24/5/18.

He was wounded in action on the 2/11/18. G.S.W to the face. I'm pleased to say he survived the war. Passing away in 1971

Regards

Chris

Yorkshire Regt. Unknown battle patch. Any suggestions?

Thanks

TT

Hi Tim, 10th Yorkshire, red triangle, 1" base, 1 1/2" sides, felt.

8th East Yorks, " D" COY green triangle 1 1/2 sides, felt. John

John,

Many thanks...I'll go with the 10th.

TT

Taken in May or June 1917 before embarking to England. Most of these men went to the 2ND Canadian Field Ambulance.

test7a.jpg

And the back.

testc.jpg

More of the same group, June 20th, 1917 ready to go!

(Note - Left back row, Pte W Cassidy died Sept. 2nd 1918. Best that I can tell he was the only casualty)

scan0008a1.jpg

And the back (Annie is my wifes Great Grand Mother)

scan00093.jpg

And to finish the set off. On-board June 29th, 1917.

scan0006.jpg

And the back again.

scan0007.jpg

KennethB

I see "posted image" and no image. Is it me?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I signed out and looked, signed back in and looked, then signed in anonymous and all three times I could see the photos. 2 images each post (front and back) for three replies. Can anybody else see them?

Ken

Hi Chris,

I signed out and looked, signed back in and looked, then signed in anonymous and all three times I could see the photos. 2 images each post (front and back) for three replies. Can anybody else see them?

Ken

Odd - they are there perfectly now (and very nice too!) thanks

Chris

Chris,

Must be a glitch, I lost one set too, but its back as well. Thanks, was worried as this is the first time I've inserted images from a URL.

Cheers,

Ken

Soldier from CEF. Don't know the Battalion. Note the rifle doesn't look like an Lee Enfield.

scan00111.jpg?w=576&h=912

Unknown private, London Irish. I have clipped the background to get the picture uploaded without losing too much detail but I think the background shows the ruins of the Grand Place in Arras.

post-6480-020537200 1286107859.jpg