Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

I do feel I'm missing the obvious here - apologies if so. 

If this was the same man, would he really have been able to keep the same service number, but change his name to a false one, prior to being discharged to a commission? Surely the Army wouldn't have played ball? Unless the alias was Goodall, I suppose, and he was correcting it.

48 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

If this was the same man, would he really have been able to keep the same service number, but change his name to a false one, prior to being discharged to a commission? Surely the Army wouldn't have played ball? Unless the alias was Goodall, I suppose, and he was correcting it.

I concede it does seem extremely odd Pat.

David Harold crow

10TH yorks and lancs k i a 26th sept 1915 at Loos

seen in previous regiment Lincolnshire

sad  about the photo quality 

trevor

david harold crow.v2.jpg

27 minutes ago, weshallremember said:

David Harold crow

10TH yorks and lancs k i a 26th sept 1915 at loo's

seen in previous regiment Lincolnshire

sad  about the photo quality 

trevor

david harold crow.v2.jpg

There used to be some forum members who were very good at repairing photos with that sort of damage, but I don’t know if they still frequent here.  Do you know if the battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment he served with is still known?  The type of belt and shoulder title he wears suggests it might possibly be a regular one. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Pat Atkins said:

Pat I think you may have  reached the correct assumption here

2nd Lieut Edward Richard Scott born April 1878

was the son of Edward and  Sarah Scott (previously or nee Goodall)

Sarah is shown on the 1881 census as having a daughter by a previous relationship Mary G Goodall aged 8

Edward and Sarah married in Wakefield in 1877

2012196184_mariageScottGoodall.JPG.aa7829bd13e042fb5a44413a8aca419b.JPG

and the husband of Martha Scott (nee Goodall) the couple married in 1915

1877887523_erscott.JPG.86d7c7517296fabe54676b8a788e7033.JPG

its possible/ likley that Edward initally enlisted under his mothers previous / maiden name Goodall

curiously Edward also married a Goodall

Ray

27 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

There used to be some forum members who were very good at repairing photos with that sort of damage, but I don’t know if they still frequent here.  Do you know if the battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment he served with is still known?  The type of belt and shoulder title he wears suggests it might possibly be a regular one. 

5 minutes using a Photoshop type fixer and looks better - the problem is not so much the damage but the very low resolution, the image is heavily pixelated. A higher resolution original, if available, would make for a much better repair job.

Cheers

Pete

8B97C361-8C6C-451E-BAA7-F5B45FA20444.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

5 minutes using a Photoshop type fixer and looks better - the problem is not so much the damage but the very low resolution, the image is heavily pixelated. A higher resolution original, if available, would make for a much better repair job.

Cheers

Pete

Great job.  Well done.

38 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

Cheers

Pete

That’s very good work Pete, despite the limitations.  It’s poignant to see a more clear view of him. 

DAVID REMAINED IN THE UK FOR JUST OVER A YEAR

BEFORE BEING SENT TO THE WESTERN FRONT ON

SEPTEMBER 10TH 1915.

SEVEN DAYS EARLIER HE HAD BEEN TRANSFERRED FROM THE 8TH BATTALION LINCOLNSHIRE REG SERVICE N0.12165

TO THE 10TH YORKS AND LANCS.

THOMAS VALDER MCKIMMIE

WAR SERVICE

ENLISTED 6TH JANUARY 1913

3/6713 2ND BATTALION ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

AT SOMETIME TRANSFERRED TO

8TH BATTALION ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

SAME SERVICE NUMBER

AGAIN SOMETIME TRANSFERRED TO

7TH BATTALION ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

SAME SERVICE NUMBER

thomas wound.jpg

have no idea when or where thomas was wounded

trevor

Its a nice picture, but neither the badge nor the service cap belong to the Argylls 

24 minutes ago, weshallremember said:

THOMAS VALDER MCKIMMIE

WAR SERVICE

ENLISTED 6TH JANUARY 1913

3/6713 2ND BATTALION ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

AT SOMETIME TRANSFERRED TO

8TH BATTALION ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

SAME SERVICE NUMBER

AGAIN SOMETIME TRANSFERRED TO

7TH BATTALION ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

SAME SERVICE NUMBER

thomas wound.jpg

have no idea when or where thomas was wounded

trevor

How positive are you it is him?  He has 3-wound stripes, which implies quite a lot of combatant experience.  He has both cap insignia (small and circular) and a shoulder strap badge of some kind, which along with his cap are nothing like A&SH as mentioned by 6RRF.  Ostensibly it suggests this might be another man given the details you’ve shown on the medal roll.

There's no dispute over his service and the second picture obviously shows him in Highland uniform. It's the service cap and small badge in the first picture which has us puzzled. The newspaper clipping mentions four brothers killed in the war. Could the first be one of them ?

in both pictures he is with his wife

maybe he enlisted first with another regiment

as the first picture is an early one obviously  a lot younger 

trevor

McKimmie 6713

He certainly appears reported wounded in the Daily Lists published 

3/6/16 and 30/8/17. 

I've not checked 1918...

His Silver War Badge says discharged for wounds rather than sickness.

2 hours ago, weshallremember said:

in both pictures he is with his wife

as the first picture is an early one obviously  a lot younger 

trevor

I think I have the solution. He served with the A&SH in multiple battalions and was wounded several times, which I think might well have affected his suitability for continued front line service.  I think that the photo with cap and 3-wound stripes shows him wearing cap and shoulder strap insignia of the Royal Defence Corps, a home service unit for men who were older or medically downgraded.  Badges were initially the Royal Cypher but according to the National Army Museum changed to the circular design below from 1918.

NB.  There is conflicting information about the precise sequence of the insignia used and some other sources suggest the badge was used for a reformed RDC in 1934.  Personally I am of the view that rather like the Pioneer Corps reuse of Labour Corps insignia in WW2, old WW1 RDC badges from 1918 were probably resurrected from storage when the RDC was re-raised.

B01FE7D3-F959-4B1C-A79A-FFBBA2928786.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, weshallremember said:

The wound stripes mean the photo was probably 1918/19, ie having been dischard from A&S could he have re-enlisted at in RDC or something similar? What does his pension card tell us? 

Edit- crossed with FS whose answer looks good.

Edited by charlie962

11 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The wound stripes mean the photo was probably 1918/19, ie having been dischard from A&S could he have re-enlisted at in RDC or something similar? What does his pension card tell us? 

Edit- crossed with FS whose answer looks good.

Yes we reached the same conclusion.  His service with RDC was not war medal earning and so wouldn’t appear on the medal roll.  Like you I think the OP was a survivors photo post Armistice.

Edited by FROGSMILE

McKimmie 6713

He was in the Deserters/Absenttes list., Shown as 3rd Argyll's.

Absent since 29/9/16 per PoliceGazette Nov 1916. 

This was after his cMay 1916 wounding which presumably led to him being posted back to UK?

Edited by charlie962

16 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

McKimmie 6713

He was in the Deserters/Absenttes list., Shown as 3rd Argyll's.

Absent since 29/9/16 per PoliceGazette Nov 1916. 

This was after his cMay 1916 wounding which presumably led to him being posted back to UK?

Whatever the case he did his bit and, statistically, with combatant experience in three different front line battalions (2nd, 7th and 8th), he must surely have been lucky to survive.

Edited by FROGSMILE