Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

There are also quite a few officer groups photographed in less grand locations such as this entitled 'Officers of the 3rd London Regiment in a house shelled by the Germans  '

N0414H.jpg.8975581428b1cd3d41ad9878e4189b80.jpg

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He’s wearing the off-white long sleeved woollen undershirt, designed for layering in colder weather.  His cap badge is identifiable and he’s inked his personal details on the placket of the shirt.  

Many thanks.

Edited by GWF1967

6 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Just in case a possible relative comes across this photograph of George Pitt (what I wouldn't give for one of my own WW1 family members): according to CWGC and his Soldiers Effects record, he was killed in action on 17/9/1916; 

Hi Pat,

The back of the card records him as killed 28/9/1916;  Soldiers Effects, his MIC, and CWGC all record him killed on 27/9/1916. 

I post the photographs here, and on British Army Ancestors, in the hope a relative, or interested researcher will find them. 

crop.jpg

Pitt..jpg

2 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

There are also quite a few officer groups photographed in less grand locations such as this entitled 'Officers of the 3rd London Regiment in a house shelled by the Germans  '

I really like this one as it gives a typical view of infantry officers midway in the war wearing the web equipment that by that stage they were wearing in the line. We see so many photos of officers relaxing and wearing their Sam Browne belts, but less often this sort of impromptu occasion in the field.

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Pat,

The back of the card records him as killed 28/9/1916;  Soldiers Effects, his MIC, and CWGC all record him killed on 27/9/1916. 

I post the photographs here, and on British Army Ancestors, in the hope a relative, or interested researcher will find them. 

My typo, apologies GWF - particularly galling as we were discussing date discrepancies! And good on you for signposting for possible future researchers.

Cheers, Pat

Cheers, Pat

2 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

I though folks may be interested in a couple of 'on active duty' images as the vast majority of images here are either pre or post war. The first image is titled 'Gen. Cookson with Divisional and Brigade Staff of 2nd Indian Cavalry Division' and the second is titled 'Gen. Fanshaw with Divisional and Brigade Staff of 1st Indian Cavalry Division.' Note that in each there seems to be a single French officer - perhaps their official liaison officer?

1578597437_N0412-small.jpg.0ebd89b14ce8c2841fcacc036b8b46eb.jpg

N0413H.jpg.e724b933fdb87c6a16f75f1c1561553a.jpg

Yes I think a liaison officer is likely and the brassard that he wears probably relates to his role.  They are super photographs, thank you for your generosity in sharing them.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Not all strictly 3rd Londons, although these two kilt wearers could of course have been attached.

1987900700_3rdLondonOfficerssourcedGWFownercrop.jpg.bd23112f50bdb1525dc7ecf04098036a.jpg

Not spotting any medal ribbons, apart from possibly on the C.O., and some with rank shown on the shoulder, so wondering if this was the 2/2nd Battalion, (i.e. the renamed 3/2nd after the original 2/2nd was disbanded), after their arrival in France in 1917. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/london-regiment/

Cheers,
Peter

5 minutes ago, PRC said:

Not all strictly 3rd Londons, although these two kilt wearers could of course have been attached.

1987900700_3rdLondonOfficerssourcedGWFownercrop.jpg.bd23112f50bdb1525dc7ecf04098036a.jpg

Not spotting any medal ribbons, apart from possibly on the C.O., and some with rank shown on the shoulder, so wondering if this was the 2/2nd Battalion, (i.e. the renamed 3/2nd after the original 2/2nd was disbanded), after their arrival in France in 1917. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/london-regiment/

Cheers,
Peter

Bizarrely they are actually wearing dark coloured shorts, rather than kilts!  They’re definitely not Scottish and I’m trying to make out their cap badge.  It looks like a Royal Fusiliers badge to me which is correct for 3rd London’s. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

RA and ASC From my collection

ww1 British troops RA capbadge.jpg

Great picture, I’m not sure if it’s a laundry fatigue, or collecting sacks of vegetables for the cookhouse, but I think it’s probably the former.

10 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

......... and the second is titled 'Gen. Fanshaw with Divisional and Brigade Staff of 1st Indian Cavalry Division.' ........

Great images S.P. and many thanks for sharing.  I was particularly interested in the Staff Armbands in both photos but my eye was also drawn to this fellow in the 1st Ind Cav Div photo with his (not too unusual) shoulder chain mail but curiously broad Sam Browne shoulder strap ........... which he also wears on the opposite shoulder to the rest of the British Army.  Clearly the Ind Cav were quite creative in their Sam Browne variations as we also have a (common-ish) double strap visible, several shoulder straps adapted to hold rounds and even a couple of waistbelts adapted to hold rounds but worn with no strap....... very Wyatt Earp.  Fascinating.  

Edited by TullochArd

On 06/12/2022 at 21:26, TullochArd said:

Great images S.P. and many thanks for sharing.  I was particularly interested in the Staff Armbands in both photos but my eye was also drawn to this fellow in the 1st Ind Cav Div photo with his (not too unusual) shoulder chain mail but curiously broad Sam Browne shoulder strap ........... which he also wears on the opposite shoulder to the rest of the British Army.  Clearly the Ind Cav were quite creative in their Sam Browne variations as we also have a (common-ish) double strap visible, several shoulder straps adapted to hold rounds and even a couple of waistbelts adapted to hold rounds but worn with no strap....... very Wyatt Earp.  Fascinating.  

The single longitudinal tubular object you see on some of the Sam Browne shoulder braces is an infantry pattern whistle holder, with the whistle usually also attached via a leather strap designed so that it cannot be dropped and lost.

Like you I love the one with pistol cartridge loops.  The Sam Brownes made up in India were as cheap as chips (there was a massive government leather manufactory at Cawnpore) and it’s quite common to see odd designs on officers from the Indian Army units, especially the cavalry.

Edited by FROGSMILE

RGA. Signalling Class, 45th (Battle Axe) Company. Plymouth 1916. Lots of names here so I hope it is interesting to somebody. Grandfather and Great Grandfather in one picture. Both William Henry Baker. Grandfather service number with RGA 58097. Had originally been with Ist Devons but suffered gunshot wound to head on 21st April 1915 at Hill 61. Recuperated and transferred to RGA. Later was in Egypt. GGF had already retired from RGA in 1905 as a company SM after a 20+ year career but was called back in as a lieutenant.

005.jpg

4 hours ago, BMB said:

Grandfather and Great Grandfather in one picture. Both William Henry Baker.

Splendid.

I hesitate to suggest but a named photo like this is worthy of its own thread where the names could be listed and thus picked up by anyone doing a search in the future?

Really? OK. I'll get on to it. I am a newbie here, still learning the ropes.

Incidentally, would anybody have any educated guesses as to where this picture was taken? It doesn't quite feel like Plymouth.

VOLDBAKER (14).jpg

9 hours ago, BMB said:

Really? OK. I'll get on to it. I am a newbie here, still learning the ropes.

Incidentally, would anybody have any educated guesses as to where this picture was taken? It doesn't quite feel like Plymouth.

VOLDBAKER (14).jpg

I think it is the School of Artillery Shoeburyness, next to the sea-line firing points, were special guns fired directly out to sea in order to test projectiles.  The seabed was flat for several thousands of yards and when the tide went out the projectiles were collected to determine where they’d reached in relation to the line of fire, and charge set (trajectory).  Special picket boats were sent out daily to mark the left and right boundaries and observe for shipping straying into the firing area.  The various firing points were coincidently adjacent to the officers’ mess.  There was an accident at one of the guns where a ‘premature’ (breech explosion) killed the entire firing detachment, including long service gunnery instructors.  A memorial plaque now marks the spot.  There was a large experimental staff with many officers coming from the coastal batteries of the RGA.  In the photo the gun has been turned inboard so that seawater (directly below when the tide is in) wasn’t driven directly into the muzzle by the wind.  It sits on the stone walkway that doubles as the firing platform and just in front is the sea wall.

EFD10160-C3BF-42CD-A603-90934896357D.jpeg

95AAD212-4470-4FEA-86CF-704AB4C0E00B.jpeg

3EC9627F-B7AF-4AFF-8B35-069E1614B4CF.jpeg

B6283F9D-35A7-4CBE-855F-D6805DA0C740.jpeg

85C3716C-0630-44BC-858D-35AB9FCC976B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you. Very interesting indeed. He was stationed in Essex for quite some time during his previous RGA career. This is him and my Grandfather (and 2 great aunts) some year earlier - early 1900s.  Seems to have a completely different bearing once he became a commissioned officer. I knew the little girl on the right. Of course she was an old lady and I was a little boy in the 60s.

VOLDBAKER (45).jpg

Fascinating pictures, thanks for posting them here. I second Charlie962's suggestion of a separate thread, by the way.

Cheers, Pat

Edit: for example, this is the only F. Engstrom I could find in a very quick, surely incomplete search: 57775 Gnr Frederick Charles Engstrom RGA who served at Home for a year before being discharged unfit (image from Silver War Badge records via Ancestry):

image.png.8487b42bb5e2a863a885cc7b2b819906.png

Edited again: interestingly, the only D. Embley I found in an equally quick search, 57808 Sgt Dick Embley, RGA, has a relatively close number to Engstrom's.

image.png.241d3e4d3a15d4831057cabbc3bb200a.png

Edited by Pat Atkins

15 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Fascinating pictures, thanks for posting them here. I second Charlie962's suggestion of a separate thread, by the way.

Too right ....... there's a lot of valuable research mileage in BMB's little gem of a photo.

(postcard of the full gate below for comparison) 

Citadel Gate, Plymouth.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

11 hours ago, BMB said:

45th (Battle Axe) Company

First time I can recollect seeing a Battery honour title during the Great War.

@FROGSMILE I though the use of Honour Titles was a more modern adoption ? 

3 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

First time I can recollect seeing a Battery honour title during the Great War.

@FROGSMILE I though the use of Honour Titles was a more modern adoption ? 

There were three units with honour titles during WW1 as far as I can see Ian.  In the RHA there were the Eagle and Chestnut Troops, but I personally find the Battleaxe Company of garrison artillery more interesting.  Originally a part of the Royal Irish Artillery Regiment, and with its numeration changed a few times (but with continuous lineage), by the early 1880s it had become the 1st Company of the Welsh “Garrison Artillery” Division.  In 1809 the company had been presented by Sir George Beckwith, who was commanding an expedition to capture the island of Martinique (Windward Islands), with a brass drum and battle-axe ornamented with a brass eagle.  The island had been a tough nut to crack (it was the third time it was recaptured) and the guns had played a big part in reducing the defences.

20A5B3E5-4799-4692-AAF7-154F72234A26.jpeg

28158CB5-96F9-4651-9079-09289E817736.jpeg

A72CD28B-DF0B-465C-B2BD-F97DAB01E2A2.jpeg

BF2A1F1C-BD65-45DF-8858-67335F03F96E.jpeg

33FBFD94-D707-4EDA-BD7B-306551A4694A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

here were three units with honour titles during WW1 as far as I can see Ian.  In the RHA there were the Eagle and Chestnut Troops, but I personally find the Battleaxe Company of garrison artillery more interesting

Just looking at the Army List for August 1914 and I can see A Battery (The Chestnut Troop) RHA 

image.png.6d222e7cc3a1c12b6806d972774189d1.png

No mention of Eagle Troop.... nothing for N Battery RHA

And no honour title for 45 Company, which I still wonder where that came from. I presume there will have been some form of succession.

image.png.4184351a9ada7280f6d695acb4223e8c.png