Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Grumpy / Peter,

To help you out. The shoulder patch is 34th Div and the cap badge is bedfords!

Any help re location?

TT

What a clear photo Chris! Looks as if it could have been taken today

A few different regiments here. Quite a few "Jocks". Have posted before but no-one was sure what the "D" armbands were, any thoughts?

My great uncle T P Carney EYR is the (Acting) RSM middle of front row. Could be late 1918, even 1919

Armbands.jpg

the arm bands may conceal the second letter: perhaps S, therefore "Directing Staff" at a school or course. DS is/was a well used army abbreviation.

Thank you Grumpy! At last, mystery may be solved. This has been puzzling me for years. I'm almost too scared to ask though but here goes... *gulp*... what

did "Directing Staff" do exactly?

Caryl

the arm bands may conceal the second letter: perhaps S, therefore "Directing Staff" at a school or course. DS is/was a well used army abbreviation.

I could believe that if not for the soldier stood second from the viewers right - if there is another letter on it it must be practically on the other side of the armband for the letter D to appear so central and it not to appear in the shot as well. Not impossible of course, but logic would seem to dictate that two letters would normally appear reasonably close to each other...

I could believe that if not for the soldier stood second from the viewers right - if there is another letter on it it must be practically on the other side of the armband for the letter D to appear so central and it not to appear in the shot as well. Not impossible of course, but logic would seem to dictate that two letters would normally appear reasonably close to each other...

Hmmm, I see your point. Is it possible though that the "D" armbands used back then could have stood for "Directing Staff" anyway? They may have omitted the "S" because everyone would have known what the "D" alone stood for?

Caryl

Walter Sutton from Bristol, 8th Batt Berkshire Regiment, killed 3rd November 1918, buried in Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

3582516386_1ddb2084ef.jpg

Norman

A member of the 39th Garhwal Rifles, Meerut Division, Indian Corps who fought at the battle of Neuve Chapelle in 1915. Inscribed on the front "Taken in France 1915" and on the reverse "Taken in Bethune after the battle of Neuve Chapelle in Mar 1915" and "39th Garhweal Rifles.I.A"

This young chap is possibly one of the twelve British officers each Indian battalion had, other officers being VCO's -Viceroy commisioned officers. commisioned Indians. All NCOs were Indian appointed through the ranks. British Indian Army officers had to become proficient in the language of their soldiers, thoroughly umderstand their differing religious and especially dietary needs etc.and establish a special two way relationship with their men. One of the great difficulties of the Indian Corps was getting trained officers to replace those killed and wounded eventually leading to their withdrawal towards the end of 1915.

2174442431_d316e0d6ac.jpg

Norman

Armband issue first!

I have a regimental police brassard with very spaced letters, but it is unusual I admit.

Checking the group again, the officers do NOT wear the armband, only NCOs/WO.

Directing staff were, in effect, course instructors, John Masters mentions DS quite a bit in his musing on Staff College.

Of the later splendid offerings, post of wounded soldier has interesting armband: possibly a version of the "recovering wounded " which from memory was red white and blue. Will check.

No, Joe Sweeney list has" 85 Discharged Soldiers in Hosp. Red, Whit, Blue RACD patterns". He was clearly not discharged.

A fine image of a young soldier, unidentified.

4406219674_8ff57d3bd4.jpg

Norman

With an excellent image of a CLLE (Charger Loading Lee Enfield) and P1888 bayonet.

Interestingly he appears to be wearing 1908 ammunition carriers but the waterbottle cradle does not appear to be standard 08 pattern - appearing more likely to be a leather pattern from the '03 bandoleer equipment. I would be interested to know what is on the end of the diagonal cross strap? a GS haversack or a respirator? My guess would be that the photo is too early for the latter as he is wearing an Imperial Service badge (so a TF man)....

" George " 5 Sherwood Foresters died 1st July.

:poppy:

Interesting one too rifle wise - a long lee (type difficult to determine) but without a sling swivel on the butt and slung between magazine and front band in the style of the earlier Martini-Henry rifles.

Grumpy - post 69. The Northampton's lad is probably 8th(Res)Northamptons, which became 28th Training Reserve Battalion, 6th Training Reserve Brigade. The patch is a coloured numeral '6' on a khaki square. Unlike those under training in the TRB - "trainers" were allowed to wear the badge of their old unit. As you already know this lad has a wound stripe, which would allow him to be posted to a TRB on recovery, using his experience to be passed on to those recently enlisted.

All,

Some wonderful images posted recently...thanks to all who have contributed so far. As I had hoped some named and some full of uniform and equipment detail. Wonderful.

Heres another from me......unknown RND officer. Note rank badges and boots. Taken Blandford Camp? Q...reversed negative or Sam Browne strap worn opposite way to army?

TT

post-15846-069465200 1285787951.jpg