Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

8 minutes ago, Cockjock said:

Here is a page from The SMCS magazine which might help.     The star badge was also worn on the pipers cross belt.   I have a blurred pic somewhere   Aitch

What are you referring to? 

Just now, Margaretnolan said:

Thanks Frogsmile for your help on this. I did notice the wrist watches and was surprised to see so many in the one photo and had wondered about it.  
Might never decipher the number on the tape. Amongst my favourite photos though.

Margaret

Yes it’s a very fine photo.  I expect you know the battalion’s basic movements from the LongLongTrail?

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

What are you referring to? 

Yes it’s a very fine photo.  I expect you know the battalion’s basic movements from the LongLongTrail?

Not yet..but I will. Just starting to catch up again..again! 

1/6th (Rifle) Battalion
August 1914 : in Princes Park Barracks, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
Moved to Upstreet Camp, Canterbury in Kent, to guard the London & Brighton South Coast Railway to Dover.
25 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 15th Brigade, 5th Division.
18 November 1915 : left Brigade and attached as Army Troops to Third Army.
26 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

2/6th (Rifle) Battalion
Formed in Liverpool on 10 September 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
November 1914: moved to North Shire, Blackpool.
February 1915: moved to Upstreet Camp, Canterbury to replace the 1/6th Battalion.
March 1915: moved to billets at Cliftonville and became part of the Margate defences.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
14 February 1917 : landed in France.

3/6th (and 3/5th) Battalions
Formed at Liverpool on 17 May 1915 but very soon moved to Weeton Camp near Blackpool.
Early 1916: relocated to Oswestry and then remained there.
8 April 1916 : became 5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions.
1 September 1916 : 6th absorbed into 5th.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

1/6th (Rifle) Battalion
August 1914 : in Princes Park Barracks, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
Moved to Upstreet Camp, Canterbury in Kent, to guard the London & Brighton South Coast Railway to Dover.
25 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 15th Brigade, 5th Division.
18 November 1915 : left Brigade and attached as Army Troops to Third Army.
26 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

2/6th (Rifle) Battalion
Formed in Liverpool on 10 September 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
November 1914: moved to North Shire, Blackpool.
February 1915: moved to Upstreet Camp, Canterbury to replace the 1/6th Battalion.
March 1915: moved to billets at Cliftonville and became part of the Margate defences.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
14 February 1917 : landed in France.

3/6th (and 3/5th) Battalions
Formed at Liverpool on 17 May 1915 but very soon moved to Weeton Camp near Blackpool.
Early 1916: relocated to Oswestry and then remained there.
8 April 1916 : became 5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions.
1 September 1916 : 6th absorbed into 5th.

Once again, many thanks

Margaret

38 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

Once again, many thanks

Margaret

I was / am intrigued as to whether the photo was at Canterbury, or Blackpool.  At the moment my money is on the former.

I have been given this photo by my aunt. On the reverse it says to Mrs Lambert from her brother with Love. Can any one on the Forum glean anything from the photo. My aunt doesn't know anything about who it may be.

Cheers Sapperwho

4th Tyneside Irish.jpg

42 minutes ago, sapperwho said:

I have been given this photo by my aunt. On the reverse it says to Mrs Lambert from her brother with Love. Can any one on the Forum glean anything from the photo. My aunt doesn't know anything about who it may be.

Cheers Sapperwho

4th Tyneside Irish.jpg

Are you looking to name the brother or do you have his name already?

Key here will be Mrs Lambert's maiden name.

It's obviously a football team with '27 NF' written on the ball.

The officers are wearing flaming grenade cap badges suggesting a fusilier regiment. To my mind Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Irish)?

Does any of that fit what you know so far?

Edited by Alan24

Hi Alan 24

I don't have the name of the brother or Mrs lamberts maiden name. I think it is 27 NF ( Northumberland Fusiliers) written on the ball,  I posted the photo mainly just as a point of interest.

Cheers Sapperwho

Definitely Northumberland Fusiliers, whose officers OSDB cap badge was the same outline shape as the men’s, unlike the Inniskillings and Munsters.  From the LLT:

”27th (Service) Battalion (4th Tyneside Irish)
Formed at Newcastle, January 1915, by the Lord Mayor and City.
June 1915 : came under orders of 103rd Brigade, 34th Division.
Landed in France in January 1916.
10 August 1917 : amalgamated with 27th Bn to form 24/27th Battalion.
26 February 1918 : disbanded in France.”

483174C8-CF18-4AA4-B450-908FDC3513AB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, sapperwho said:

Hi Alan 24

I don't have the name of the brother or Mrs lamberts maiden name. I think it is 27 NF ( Northumberland Fusiliers) written on the ball,  I posted the photo mainly just as a point of interest.

Cheers Sapperwho

It might be worth seeking out the diary of 27NF to see if there is any mention of a football match where 27NF were champions.

The photo looks to have been taken overseas probably France and Flanders and there is often notes in war diaries regarding Divisional or Brigade sports when units are out on rest.

5 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

It might be worth seeking out the diary of 27NF to see if there is any mention of a football match where 27NF were champions.

The photo looks to have been taken overseas probably France and Flanders and there is often notes in war diaries regarding Divisional or Brigade sports when units are out on rest.

It’s a company team, “?” Company I think (abbreviated Coy), and indicates that they are the battalion’s champion team.  Unfortunately there’s a flaw on the photo that obscures which company is written on the ball.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, sapperwho said:

Thanks for that Frogsmile.

Cheers Sapperwho

If you can use a magnifier on the original photo it will give a chance of ascertaining which company it is if you can see past the flaw.  Linen testers are good for that purpose.

15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s a company team, “?” Company I think, and indicates that they are the battalion’s champion team.

Yes, you could be right, much further down the league than I had assumed Initially. 

A full team here, in those days only one sub allowed.

3 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Yes, you could be right, much further down the league than I had assumed Initially. 

Yes it’s interesting to see the pride that could be demonstrated even at company level in an infantry battalion.  It was common to have inter-company competitions that included a mixture of military skills and sports competitions, all intended to promote individual skill, teamwork, discipline and physical fitness.

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, Alan24 said:

1st Eleven and a replacement; no substitutes allowed for another 40 years. 

24 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

1st Eleven and a replacement; no substitutes allowed for another 40 years. 

Thanks for the explanation. 

2 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Another one of my favourites. From my collection….

Margaret

1DCB7350-DF3A-40A5-B7E4-EC05E6D864F4.png

6183AA8D-74F5-4FE3-98DC-7F66F460E2A8.png

Another cracking photo Margaret, thank you for posting.  I believe they’re Army Service Corps.  I wonder what the MRU on the ball refers to.  The only thing I could think of was Medical Rehabilitation Unit, but that’s just a complete guess.

There seems to be a partially constructed hut in the background.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Thanks Frogsmile. I had wondered what MRU stands for and where the picture was taken.

Margaret

Another possibility;  The Army Service Corps had Mobile Repair Units. 

51 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Another possibility;  The Army Service Corps had Mobile Repair Units. 

Brilliant suggestion!  That seems far more likely and I should have thought of it because I’ve definitely heard of them before.  I think you’ve cracked it.:thumbsup:

Edited by FROGSMILE

29 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

@GWF1967 @FROGSMILE

You’ve nailed it, thank you.

Margaret

The mobile repair units were really important because then units didn't have to try and tow dead vehicles to a workshop.