Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards


trenchtrotter
 Share

Recommended Posts

what is the back of the card like - British, French or German? One has service stripes for 1915 through 1918 so a 1919 photo probably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, poona guard said:

what is the back of the card like - British, French or German? One has service stripes for 1915 through 1918 so a 1919 photo probably.

Post Card/Carte Postale with a divided back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the studios of Dura Ltd.

"Driver Alfred Charles Spurrier.  (117831-T.F.)  810547. F. Sub. Sec. D. Bty. 230 Brigade R.F.A. 

 B.E.F. France." and Chums.

Named. B (2).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A/Sgt. Henry Muckmore Burnett. 75618.  Royal Garrison Artillery.

Burnett.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

A/Sgt. Henry Muckmore Burnett. 75618.  Royal Garrison Artillery.

Burnett.jpg

That’s a substantial SNCO type cane rather than a swagger stick that he’s carrying.  Relatively unusual for a trainee gunner.  He’s certainly not wearing the rank of an Acting Sergeant?

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s a substantial SNCO type cane rather than a swagger stick that he’s carrying.  Relatively unusual for a trainee gunner.  He’s certainly not wearing the rank of an Acting Sergeant?

An A/Sgt. by the time he went overseas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

An A/Sgt. by the time he went overseas. 

Thank you. Understood 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Armourer staff Sergeant Albert Henry Bright. A/1866 Army Ordnance Corps.   -   14/3/1917.

 

 Pre war Albert worked as a draughtsman for the B.S.A cycle department, he had four years experience in the machine shop, and five in the drawing office.  He first applied to join the A.O.C. 24/1/1915, stating that he was competent with cycles, and that he was required to give one weeks notice, as his employer would not give permission for men to join up. His application was refused as his employer was engaged on essential Government work.

 He successfully applied, with the permission of B.S.A, on 6/4/1915. He was 25.

 As a draughtsman he had designed engines from 2 1/2 to 200hp, auto wheels, including test equipment for same, cycles; standard, Military and folding, and had the run of the whole of the shop floor at B.S.A. He had taken the opportunities this afforded to acquaint himself with the service rifle, and the Maxim gun, which he could strip and rebuild. He had also been instructed in the operation and service of the Lewis Auto gun by the chief instructor. 

 Albert saw service as the Armourer Sgt of "2nd/4th London Regt. R.F. T.F" at Gallipoli, and later in France. He also served as Armourer Sgt. for the 3rd Bedfordshire Regiment  

Albert H. Bright..jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s an excellent little biography that you’ve put together.  Was he a family member?  Such detail seems unusual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks GWF1967.

 

I now have a photograph to go with his Service Records.

 

I’m unsure whether you’re aware the page commencing “What are we to do, Medwin? is the mandatory “specimen of handwriting” routinely requested of the Recruiting Officer by the Colonel Commanding AOC, given “no such applicant is to be attested who is unable to read and write”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s an excellent little biography that you’ve put together.  Was he a family member?  Such detail seems unusual.

No, not a relative; an interesting chap with an extensive surviving service record. 

 

3 hours ago, Peter35 said:

Thanks GWF1967.

 

I now have a photograph to go with his Service Records.

 

I’m unsure whether you’re aware the page commencing “What are we to do, Medwin? is the mandatory “specimen of handwriting” routinely requested of the Recruiting Officer by the Colonel Commanding AOC, given “no such applicant is to be attested who is unable to read and write”.

Glad the photograph was of interest. 

 I was aware of the literacy requirement for applicants, I hadn’t realised that was his submission. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

No, not a relative; an interesting chap with an extensive surviving service record. 

 

Glad the photograph was of interest. 

 I was aware of the literacy requirement for applicants, I hadn’t realised that was his submission. 

Very interesting, also the literacy tester explained by Peter.  Thank you both for posting.

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Glad the photograph was of interest. 

 I was aware of the literacy requirement for applicants, I hadn’t realised that was his submission. 

 

Sorry. I scanned through his records very quickly and missed that the CO’s memo was included.

 

The “specimens” are often quite strange. The first couple I came across had no accompanying CO’s memo. It took a little while for the penny to drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peter35 said:

 

Sorry. I scanned through his records very quickly and missed that the CO’s memo was included.

 

The “specimens” are often quite strange. The first couple I came across had no accompanying CO’s memo. It took a little while for the penny to drop.

When I first started to read the document I thought Medwin was in a lot of trouble, and that Sgt Bright was a witness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Photo. Gill + Son. Colchester.

 

  Pte. Leopold Griffin. 250532.  2/6th Manchester Regiment. February 1917.   

France. 26/4/1917.    Commissioned 2/Lt. South Lancashire Regiment. 26/2/1918.    France. 2/Lt. Manchester Regiment. 

 

B. 1891. Ladbroke, Warwickshire.   C.1911 - Culham Teacher Training College,  Abingdon,  Oxfordshire.  

 

 

Leo Griffin.jpg

GBOR_TCHIX_GREENA-GRIFFITHS_0400.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pte. Stanley Robert Martin. 34718.  15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Pte's Llewelyn Jones + J. Jones. 

R.W.F. Sweetheart wearing shoulder title brooch.

RWF Sweetheart (2).jpg

RWF Sweetheart (3).jpg

Urquhart. (3).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lady with the RWF broach looks a little like Virginia Woolf and her attire has a bohemian look as if she could be a writer or an artist.

Edited by Gardenerbill
Typp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

The Lady with the RAF broach 

I see it as RWF?

 

It's possibly an actual regulation shoulder title on a pin?

rwf.JPG

Edited by Alan24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with Alan, I too see RWF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s an RWF shoulder title that very cleverly has had a miniature flash crafted from silk or similar black cloth attached to the base.  Something not that difficult for a reasonable seamstress to achieve.  I used to have one myself as a lapel pin.  The ribbons were at that time often configured in a wider fan than the example below.

 

Cracking photos, thank you for posting them.

CAC3212C-9937-4F58-833D-0714E5AFFA5A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dvr. Gilbert Urquhart - M2/081948.  Army Service Corps.  

 

Royal Army Medical Corps and Army Service Corps group. Sergeants wearing Imperial Service badges; two farriers within the ranks.      Somewhere in !   -   Northampton, 4th February 1916.   

To Mrs. K. Thomas, 26 Gwendoline Street, Treherbert, Rhondda.      "Things are slow and lazy here". From D.  

 

 

Urquhart. (2).jpg

Div Col. (4).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

R.A.M.C.  - "Staff Sgt. Bulger".

RGA VOL (7).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...