Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

I have today received a letter of condolence written to  2nd Lieut Blaxely's father 

I have today received a letter of condolence written to  2nd Lieut Blaxely's father 

On 01/11/2018 at 23:33, GWF1967 said:

Hi Jerry,

I missed the end of the auction! Did you buy any of the other cards in the collection? I bought a couple.

I believe the chap in the trench nearest the camera was the subject of the collection;  2Lt.  Stewart Lenton Blaxley.   Inns of Court OTC. 22/11/15 -  22//16.  France. 10/1/17.  K.i.A 23/4/17.  2/4th R.W.F.

In my postcard he is standing rear row, 3rd from left, outside  No.13 Ward, No.2 Stationary Hospital. 

Scan_20181101 (3).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

8 minutes ago, padrenick said:

Hi,

Did you win both condolence letters?

Edited by GWF1967

No only the one signed R Rolf of Roff cant make out the signature. 

2020-10-26 16.57.29.jpg

1 minute ago, padrenick said:

No only the one signed R Rolf of Roff cant make out the signature. 

2020-10-26 16.57.29.jpg

It’s a shame the letters were split into separate lots; cash is king in the ebay world. 

1 hour ago, padrenick said:

Even though I bought some of the original items that were sold, I saw these but decided not to bid, I could not justify the possible cost during these difficult times, back on furlough currently. 

56 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

It’s a shame the letters were split into separate lots; cash is king in the ebay world. 

it was a shame the original collection was split

2 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

it was a shame the original collection was split

Quite. 

yes a shame but I could not afford both

1 hour ago, padrenick said:

yes a shame but I could not afford both

I think Jerry B is talking of the family collection of postcards, photographs and letters that have appeared rather than just the two letters recently listed. 

The link I posted earlier featured one of a series of postcards that have previously been offered for sale.  Jerry B purchased some of the other postcards sold. 

S.L. Blaxley appears 3rd from left, rear row. 

image.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

I have a post card he sent from the front, his business card as an officer in the 4th RWF, pics of him at the inns of court OTC and the letter from the war officer to his sister notifying her of his award of posthumous medals

2nd lt s l blaxley emb card Written to Miss M E Blaxley.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased this a few years ago in a local antiques center (near Hamilton), I had a relative in the RFA in the interwar period in India so it got my attention more.....Couldn't leave the old boy behind could I........I wonder if he survived it all?

P1090387.JPG

P1090386.JPG

P1090385.JPG

P1090376.JPG

P1090377.JPG

16 minutes ago, D Rider said:

Purchased this a few years ago in a local antiques center (near Hamilton), I had a relative in the RFA in the interwar period in India so it got my attention more.....Couldn't leave the old boy behind could I........I wonder if he survived it all?

The collar of his SD jacket has been immaculately tailored to give the appearance of a pre-war style frock collar.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A/Cpl. Robert Albert (Sheppard) Shephard. M2/101639.   493rd M.T. Coy. A.S.C.   

B. 1881 Notting Hill.   D.30/12/1916 - 26th Stationary Hospital. Ismailia Egypt.   Aged. 35.

:poppy:

R.A. Shephard. 2jpg.jpg

Cyclist Territorial Force Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, September 1914.
Postcard sent on 21st September 1914. A rare side view of components the “Territorial Force Pattern” Mills Equipment with its distinct type of 3 pocket cartridge carrier.  A MkV waterbottle, with fluted neck, is worn on the rear of the commercial variant haversack/pack, note the 1 inch twig buckle on the side, not found on the 1908 versions.  He is most probably from the 1/6th (Cyclist) Battalion of the Royal Sussex, formed in August 1914. They spent the Great War in England and Ireland. The card was sent to Mrs B Williams, 196 Church Road, Hove. The house is still there today and is now a Bistro Bar!

378093980_TFBtncyclist.jpg.7c3a83ee8085ab44cc2f728d1c76f14a.jpg

Super photo Toby.  Empty haversack/small pack typical of a Territorial!  Is that a helve case beyond the bayonet?

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is that a helve case beyond the bayonet?

It is indeed the Helve Carrier, and a great study of it at that, with P1888 Bayonet. 

1870826237_TFBtncyclist2.jpg.14a438c3da10ddd74a2dc98e74134f6b.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

On 09/10/2020 at 22:16, GWF1967 said:

Walter Robert Starsmeare

B.1870, Battersea.   Enlisted. 1891.   South Africa. 1899-1902.  Wheeler Staff Sergeant. 9779. 6 Coy. A.S.C.   M. Elizabeth A. Hearn, 1903. Colchester.   

Disch. Time expired. 1912. 18th Coy. (Twelve Pence/Day).

Enl. 5/10/1914. Driver. T1SR/1191. A.S.C.    Promoted. 7/10/14. Wheeler Staff Sergeant.   Promoted. 16/11/14. Wheeler Quarter Master Sergeant.   France. 2/8/15 - 20/9/18. 

Discharged. No longer physically fit. 10/12/18.   S.W.B. No.B58515.   

D. 1958. Ealing.

A.S.C. Sgt. (3).jpg

Trawling ebay I found another postcard featuring Walter Robert Starsmeare, 18 Coy. A.S.C.  front row, second from right. 

asc.  starsmere (2).jpg

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

It is indeed the Helve Carrier, and a great study of it at that, with P1888 Bayonet. 

Yes, ‘carrier’ of course.  Same with 37 Patt I recall.  Then on 58 attached integrally to carrier ground sheet.

Edited by FROGSMILE

An unknow Sergeant Signals Instructor. Blank Postcard sent from India 1916.  Great study of the Heliograph.  

1556949535_SignalInstructorc1916.jpg.a5c714cf2ac8f95586814676fdaa618f.jpg

Dear All, and Toby,

Here is another one. The officer is T/Capt Corbett, 2/69 Punjabis. Circa 1919/457132879_T-CaptHenryReginaldCorbett2-69Punjabismid-1919.jpg.d3f9fa844cc28c9d48c9fce35e7cf034.jpg20...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Great photos Toby and Kim.

Thank you both for sharing.

On Kim's photo, Sgt seated to the left of Capt Corbett, as we look at it, that's quite the signalers badge! Never seen one on a rectangle before.

Chris 

2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Great photos Toby and Kim.

Thank you both for sharing.

On Kim's photo, Sgt seated to the left of Capt Corbett, as we look at it, that's quite the signalers badge! Never seen one on a rectangle before.

Chris 

It made them easier to remove for laundering by the dhobi wallah Chris.  The cloth backing was often in the regimental facing colour and added a splash of distinction to the khaki.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dear All, and Chris,

Well spotted!

I have scanned the NCO signal-wallah and one sees the crossed flags on red (?), quite clearly.

Note also his 15 Star Trio medal ribbons.

Kindest regards,

Kim.IMG_20201112_0001.jpg.c6ee5dc2255e4d95fa114cdf24b06584.jpg

23 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It made them easier to remove for laundering by the dhobi wallah Chris.  The cloth backing was often in the regimental facing colour and added a splash of distinction to the khaki.

Cheers FROGSMILE, I'll say it again, everyday is a school day.

Red, you say Kim, I wonder how many different colours are out there!

Cheers 

Chris