Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

I was wondering about the less affluent - I know for certain that my grandfather's family were poor, yet his brother was in 23rd Londons for a couple of years before the outbreak of war. Given the requirements to pay for uniforms and headgear, a sympathetic County Association administration of funds would explain that, perhaps (he was D Coy 23rd Londons, based in Clapham).

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

I was wondering about the less affluent - I know for certain that my grandfather's family were poor, yet his brother was in 23rd Londons for a couple of years before the outbreak of war. Given the requirements to pay for uniforms and headgear, a sympathetic County Association administration of funds would explain that, perhaps (he was D Coy 23rd Londons, based in Clapham).

I understand that the subscription model used changed over the period between 1859 and the advent of the Volunteer Force and the creation of the Territorial Force in 1908, by which time it had become akin to a largely middle-class (spanning lower to upper) working men’s club.  Men were paid an annual cash bounty for attending a minimum number of drill periods (some night and some weekend), plus an annual summer training camp.  By that stage I think that funding within the County Associations came from a range of sources, but the basic principle that the government only provided the arms, ammunition and personal equipment, and the Counties clothing remained extant.

2/14th London (2nd London Scottish),  "Sutton Veney, June 1916 - Just before going to France", 

Lt. John Stuart Monro  +  Capt/A-Maj. Adrian Baikie.

London Scottish (3).jpg