Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Your magnificent collection of RPPCs would have made such superb illustrations for the books “Rank and Rate” published a few years ago.

Yes Bob, I have both of his books, & some of the RPPCs & photos therein leave much to be desired, but I guess better than nothing!

& I have not even started the RN Officers yet & likely will not for a while.

Edited by RNCVR

8 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Yes Bob, I have both of his books, & some of the RPPCs & photos therein leave much to be desired, but I guess better than nothing!

& I have not even started the RN Officers yet & likely will not for a while.

It’s a pity he had not met you before he published, you might have been able to assist him.

FS.

6 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Unsent postcard. A rare glimpse of the Cambridgeshire Regiment on manoeuvres and an even rarer glimpse of the seldom seen "Jones Equipment".  Pictures of it in use are very rare, it also provides  the only images I have seen of the rear of the equipment. 

104812048_CambsFirminSimplex1.jpg.a59192d317bacf8bfcee8593a25d6106.jpg

727786615_CambsFirminSimplex2rear.jpg.1aea133b76ae157c8a0d1957c285b7d3.jpg

1508074567_Jones1.jpg.affcc62e19d2cfce739e118859003d25.jpg

84957671_2481412045433282_404728215844683776_o.jpg.eda276c3daa8a3957ab3d566f6f123ce.jpg

Interesting images there, both versions of the other ranks cap badge on show, some with the SA honour scroll and others without. Thanks for showing them.   Pete.

I must admit I didn't pay a single bit of attention to the cap badge, until I scanned it in. An added bonus! 

10 hours ago, ARABIS said:

The two naval ratings are Petty Officers 2nd Class 1901-13. Leading rates wore an anchor only, no crown.

ARABIS.

Thank you Arabis

You can tell that I am a landlubber!! It comes from years of working in Aldershot!

Sepoy

As nothing been posted for over almost a week now I will add some more RN RPPC's....

A happy looking PO Seaman Gunner, photo likely taken prior to 1WW.

1WW CDVs 003.JPG

Two PO's -- the PO on HMS Africa(likely the pre Dreadnought Battleship of 1905) wearing a Gunlayers rate badge. He wears the number 1 uniform with gold wire insiginia. He also wears his Edward VII RN Long Service medal. 

The PO on HMS Pembroke (Chatham base depot) wears his number 2 uniform with red badges. His rate badge on his right arm is not visible.

1WW CDVs 004.JPG

1WW CDVs 005.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

A PO Torpedo Gunners Mate & Torpedo Instructor - likely an Edwardian period photo.

1WW CDVs 006.JPG

1WW CDVs 007.JPG

Cracking photo, a sturdy and formidable looking young PO.  Hearts of Oak comes to mind.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks mates appreciate yr comments!  However, pls Froggie, its HEART of Oak!

Here is an interesting RPPC of a CPO wearing the single star indicating he was of the Supply branch.  At that time the Gold star indicated he was either a Naval Schoolmaster, Ships Writer, or Ships Steward.  A Silver star indicated he was a Ships Cook.  So this Chief PO could be either of those rates.  He is also wearing the (GeorgeV) Naval General Service medal of just prior to 1WW, clasp is likely Persian Gulf 1908-1914.

Wearing their reefer jacket with white trousers & shoes was normal in the Med prior to 1WW.

No idea why the X is on the barrel, its not a rum issue barrel tho.

RPPC is partially ID'd ...."Your Ever Loving Brother Syd"  -  be really nice if he had included his surname also, but of course the recipient would have known that!  They were not thinking of us over 100 yrs later trying to put a name to a photo!

1WW CDVs 008.JPG

1WW CDVs 009.JPG

1WW CDVs 010.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

The Heart/Hearts comment has brought a wry smile, as I’d originally posted ‘Heart’, but then went back two hours later and changed it to Hearts. God knows why! 

Interesting detail about the star badge, thank you. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

A lot of people get it wrong Froggie, even former Navy vets!

I played it many times as a Musician in the RCN!

The star rate badge is not well known even among naval badge collectors.   Prior to 2WW (circa 1932) letters were introduced within the star to denote exactly what rate the wearer was, ie: W for Writers, C for Cooks, OS for Officers Stewards, S for Supply etc.  In time I will show some of these Supply branch RPPCs.

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

A lot of people get it wrong Froggie, even former Navy vets!

I played it many times as a Musician in the RCN!

The star rate badge is not well known even among naval badge collectors.   Prior to 2WW (circa 1932) letters were introduced within the star to denote exactly what rate the wearer was, ie: W for Writers, C for Cooks, OS for Officers Stewards, S for Supply etc.  In time I will show some of these Supply branch RPPCs.

It’s all very interesting and quite complex.  This website tries to cover some of the detail: https://www.uniform-reference.net/insignia/rn/rn_ww1_ranks_enlisted_1.html

and I also found the schematic below.

71AA565E-D066-430E-B5C1-3456B867A871.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The various rate badges appear in Seamanship manuals of the time Froggie, & yes,RN rates can be quite complex.

I also have an excellent reference with many of them included including a couple of booklets with the rate badges in use during 1WW.  The star should be point up as in the Chief PO photo above.

Att'd  is a photo of the Chief Petty Officers of HMS Queen Mary just prior to 1WW. Some of them were still on board her when she blew up & sank at Jutland.  I have their names.

In the front row(seated) the 2 Supply branch CPO's are to the left & right of the central CPO. You can just make out their lapel stars. Each one of the 4 seated CPO's (except the CYS [Chief Yeoman of Signals] seated on right) wears the RN LS medal. The CYS wears the Messina earthquake medal of 1908.

Standing L to R - the first two CPO's are Armourers, next two in centre are likely Torpedomen, one being what appears to be an LTO, the two on the right are Shipwright & Seaman Gunner. Its difficult to make out the medals they are wearing in that back row but at least three, perhaps four, of them are wearing the RN LS medal.

I will have to insert this photo on the HMS Queen Mary Jutland casualty list as well if I can find it. 

QueenMaryCPO ph JPG.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

I have the Seamanship Manual for 1967, but it’s the one for 1908 (revised 1913) that I’d really like.

It’s interesting that the page I posted from a contemporary publication showed the star incorrectly.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I can only find 1908 revised 1915 - of which there may be a copy in the library I curate, so I could ask someone to find it for me (upstairs) if you would like.

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

I can only find 1908 revised 1915 - of which there may be a copy in the library I curate, so I could ask someone to find it for me (upstairs) if you would like.

Thank you seaJane, I’d meant revised 1915, I made a typo, and am looking to search out a copy in old book shops to add to my library, but I appreciate your kind offer all the same.

Supply branch stars from "Rank At A Glance", Booklet circa 1915.

stars. 001.JPG

Thanks Bryan, it makes sense to be point uppermost as I notice that all the other stars used in combination with other symbols were also point uppermost.  Strange that they illustrated it wrongly on the page that I posted, which is one of a set encompassing all the rate badges.  I enclose one of the later pattern badges that you mentioned.

I thought that you might find the following link of interest too, it shows a Shipwright of HMS Queen Mary and many others lost in WW1: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36416761

cook---c-in-6-pointed-star-trade---gold-on-navy--bullion-wire-embroidered-naval-branch-rank-or-miscellaneous-insignia.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Publisher likely just got the star shape incorrect.

The letters were introduced just prior to 2WW, made it much easier to determine a ratings occupation for sure!

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Publisher likely just got the star shape incorrect.

The letters were introduced just prior to 2WW, made it much easier to determine a ratings occupation for sure!

Are you familiar with this website: http://www.godfreydykes.info/R.N. WARRANT OFFICERS AT DARTMOUTH.html  ?

Thanks Froggie, I was unaware of that site, altho I had viewed a couple of the photos in the past. ie: the  first photo of the Coast Guards group, & WO & CWO's of HMS Hood,