Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

I would like to add that post 1920 all CPO's wore the rank insignia of three gilt buttons on the cuffs of their uniform jacket sleeves as in the two RPPC's Seajane & I have posted above.  Prior to 1920 only Chief ERA's, EA's, & MAA's wore the three sleeve buttons.  

Bryan

Edit - ERA - Engine Room Artificer.

EA - Electrical Artificer.

MAA - Master At Arms (the senior CPO on board ship) - similar to an RSM.

Edited by RNCVR

Here is another nice clear postwar image of a LS(Leading Seaman) Gunlayer wearing medals - DSM(Distinguished Service medal), 1WW trio & French Croix de Guerre (War Cross) with star.

At the time the image was taken he was serving on HMS Truro, likely in the 1920's period.  As he is wearing 2 GCB's(Good Conduct Badges[chevrons]) signifying a minimum of 8 yrs service, he would not yet have qualified for his RNLS medal. 

Unfortunately, like many of my RPPC\CDV's, un ID'd.

DSM CdeG RPPC.jpg

Another post war Chief ST (Seaman Torpedoman), he also wears the DSM, 1WW trio & RN LS medals.

Note post war CPO cap badge & sleeve buttons.  King George V effigy is clearly visible on his RN LS medal. 

CPO ST photo.jpg

Edited by RNCVR

This CPO is interesting  as he wears the 1919 Minesweeping cuff badge, signifying that he served in the post war Minesweeping force that was responsible for clearing the thousands of unexploded mines in the various waters around Uk & the continent.  A very dangerous job that exacted many casualties in the process of clearing these mines.

He wears the pre 1920 CPO cap badge (an oval circle around the central anchor) & ribbons for 1WW 1914-5 star trio, quite possible he had not yet rec'd his Great War medals.  Ribbons for these medals came out earlier.

His lapel rate insignia is SG (Seaman Gunner) 1st class.

CPO Minesweeping.JPG

CPO Minesweeping sleeve.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

This my personal favourite from my WW1 photographic collection.

A seaman, on board HMS Royal Oak, wearing the Captain's dog called Toto.

It is also interesting to note the Ship's Royal Naval Chaplain on the far left. At this time, Naval Chaplain's did not have a Naval uniform and simply wore their civilian attire, which occasionally gave them problems trying to gain access to Naval Dockyards and their ships.

Sepoy

TOTO.jpg

25 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

This CPO is interesting  as he wears the 1919 Minesweeping cuff badge, signifying that he served in the post war Minesweeping force that was responsible for clearing the thousands of unexploded mines in the various waters around Uk & the continent.  A very dangerous job that exacted many casualties in the process of clearing these mines.

He wears the pre 1920 CPO cap badge (an oval circle around the central anchor) & ribbons for 1WW 1914-5 star trio, quite possible he had not yet rec'd his Great War medals.  Ribbons for these medals came out earlier.

His lapel rate insignia is SG (Seaman Gunner) 1st class.

CPO Minesweeping.JPG

CPO Minesweeping sleeve.JPG

Great photograph!
Although, I have an example of this arm badge, it is the first time I have seen a photograph showing the badge being worn.

Out of interest, RNCVR, are any of your photographs, particularly the DSM ones, named??
Sepoy

2 hours ago, Sepoy said:

It is also interesting to note the Ship's Royal Naval Chaplain on the far left.

Out of interest, have you been able to identify the chaplain? If you have a date for the photo he may be identifiable from the Navy List. Interested because I have a RN chaplain friend researching GW RN chaplains.

sJ

Yes, I do have I think 2 named, RPPC that I will show next is somewhat of a mystery as only have his first name. But to that shortly.

The CPO ST, DSM RPPC shown above came with his medal group which I have in my collection, its not ID'd but his rate & medals match, however I will never be certain that is really him.

He is a CPO, but only first name Alex is written on reverse, his medals & year 1918.  We tried to locate him based upon his 1917 DSM award  then tried to match that up with his 5 clasp QSA but had no luck. Unable to determine if in fact his QSA was actually RN, he might have been Army & later joined RN. We could not get a match with the 5 clasps with what we think is his rate  & even that is speculation. From his uniform we thought he might be a Chief ERA or EA as neither of those Artificers wore rate badges in that time frame but both wore the three sleeve buttons of rank. He could not have been a MAA as MAA's wore rate insignia on their lapels.

Thus he remains a mystery & likely will for some time yet!

However, f any reader has thoughts on how to solve this mystery I am certainly open to suggestions.

CPO DSM.JPG

CPO DSM medals.JPG

CPO DSM photrev.JPG

CPO DSM ph rev.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

A seaman, on board HMS Royal Oak, wearing the Captain's dog called Toto.

He looks very young to me, I think he was a Boy Seaman(2nd or 1st class) detailed off  to look after Toto.

Boy Seaman were underage, they could join as early as 15 before 1WW {there was a brief period where they could enter at 14 1\2), & were rated Boy 2cl  then Boy 1cl at 16 yrs(of course they had to pass their training exams along the way), then at age 18 their adult service commenced & they were rated Ordinary Seaman.

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

34 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Out of interest, have you been able to identify the chaplain? If you have a date for the photo he may be identifiable from the Navy List. Interested because I have a RN chaplain friend researching GW RN chaplains.

sJ

Hi Sea Jane
It could be Acting Chaplain (Reverend) Richard B M Close MA who served on HMS Royal Oak from 1916. The owner of the photograph album served on the Royal Oak between 1916 - 1917.
I need to do a little work on this chap, because I have just noted that prior to HMS Royal Oak, he served with the RND. His name started ringing bells and I have discovered that I have a 1914 Star to a chap who was killed at Gallipoli and buried by a Reverend Close!
Sepoy

Not a DSM but here is another that is named,after a fashion, permit me to introduce ...... Mr SYLVESTER.....

He is a Leading Seaman Artisan (not a Shipwright) but rather another Artisan rate such as Blacksmith, Coppersmith, Plumber, Cooper, etc.

He also wears the China 1900 campaign medal.   Likely a pre war image.

We were unable to make a positive ID based upon the China medal roll & match his rate up with a Sylvester who fit his possible rate in the ADM 188 series.

Thus another unsolved mystery........

Bryan

sylvester.pc 004.JPG

sylvester.pc 003.JPG

sylvester.pc 002.JPG

1 hour ago, Sepoy said:

Hi Sea Jane
It could be Acting Chaplain (Reverend) Richard B M Close MA who served on HMS Royal Oak from 1916. The owner of the photograph album served on the Royal Oak between 1916 - 1917.
I need to do a little work on this chap, because I have just noted that prior to HMS Royal Oak, he served with the RND. His name started ringing bells and I have discovered that I have a 1914 Star to a chap who was killed at Gallipoli and buried by a Reverend Close!
Sepoy

He was Reverend Richard Bevill Middleton Close, RND and was previously attached to the 2nd Field Ambulance during 1915. On 17th June, 1915, he buried Sussex 2/288 Able Seaman W J H King, Howe Battalion, RND in the RND Cemetery No1, Helles, Gallipoli. (now commemorated at the Skew Bridge Cemetery, Helles, Gallipoli). I have had William King's 1914 Star for years - it is strange how things link up (even stranger that I remembered Reverend Close's name - normally I struggle to remember what I have gone up stairs for!)

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

9 hours ago, Sepoy said:

He was Reverend Richard Bevill Middleton Close, RND and was previously attached to the 2nd Field Ambulance during 1915

Thank you!

Issued to P.O  A.C. Ward  served HMS Sphinx and HMS Vulcan

Nice medal grouping Robins! Those ships in the Red Sea\Persian Gulf really earned their NGS medals.

I had a similar group to a Signalman in my collection(he also had AGS\Somaliland) but sold him last yr, will see if I can post a photos. 

Bryan

Leading Signalman Davis.  On HMS Fox for NGS & AGS medals. No LS as discharged after 1st (12 yr) engagement expired at end of 1WW.

Davis, Signalman.JPG

Davis medals.jpg

A nice Edwardian period RPPC of a Naval Policeman wearing China 1900 campaign medal with one clasp.

On his left sleeve his rank (PO) & 2 GCB's (Good Conduct badges).

During Victorian time they were Ship's Corporals, rate designation changed in 1890 to Naval Police.

Bryan

NP.jpg

Another Edwardian period RPPC of three RN sailors with insignia & medals.

left sailor - he is a PO2 (Petty Officer 2nd class), Leading Torpedoman

middle sailor - he is a PO1(Petty Officer 1st class)still wearing the QV crown above his crossed anchors,

Torpedo Coxswain, also qualified as Marksman. He appears to be wearing a King George V Coronation medal.

right sailor - he is also a PO1, Torpedo Gunner's Mate\Torpedo Instructor. He wears the QSA & China campaign medals & (possibly)King Geo V Coronation medal.

RN sailors medals KC.jpg

Edited by RNCVR

4 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Leading Signalman Davis.  On HMS Fox for NGS & AGS medals. No LS as discharged after 1st (12 yr) engagement expired at end of 1WW.

Davis, Signalman.JPG

Davis medals.jpg

Very nice especially with photo of recipient

regards

Bob R.

Hi Bob,

Thought you might like to see this  grouping:

Another nice NGS medal grouping - recipient was Paymaster Captain John Basil Shettle RN, he was Secretary to Admiral Evan Thomas. His flagship was HMS Barham, 5th Battle Sqdn at Jutland. 

Shettle was at the time Fleet Paymaster & was awarded the Imperial Russian Order of Saint Anna, 3rd cl.

The 1st group photo is Vice Adm Evan Thomas' staff on HMS Barham, he is centre, Fleet Paymr Shettle is on right. Image taken prior to Jutland.

The 2nd group photo is same, VAdm Evan Thomas seated on right beside Barham's Captain, Shettle is standing on right. This image was taken after Jutland circa 1917 as Shettle is wearing the St Anna & French L de H ribbons on his tunic in addition to his NGS.

Best wishes!

Bryan

Evan Thomas group2.JPG

Shettle grp resiz.png

Shettle group StAnn.JPG

I’m always a little haunted by these photos.  The Royal Navy was absolutely huge at that time and the Army by comparison very small, and yet because of the Somme 1916, Passchendaele, and the last hundred days of 1918, the Army has a far greater public consciousness.  I understand why that is, but feel saddened that the once great RN has to a large degree been forgotten in Britain (in terms of National expenditure it was the equivalent of the NHS of today).  I have several relatives who were soldiers, as I was myself, but I’m immensely proud of my great uncle who started as a boy seamen and was then lucky enough to be serving on the only Dreadnought Class battleship (as Boy 1st Cl)  to have missed Jutland because it was sent to dock for repairs. He then served at Scapa Flow during WW2 and witnessed the sinking of HMS Royal Oak.  I mention all this because I’m so pleased to see the photos of these seamen who were once part of such a magnificent Navy, that along with Dominion comrades, successfully blockaded ports into Germany in a monumental effort that significantly contributed towards ending the war when it did.

Thank you for posting, Bryan.

F0B495C2-41BF-4169-B7F2-A6B107F51E78.jpeg

E4064387-BCBA-4179-96D6-13CFA35640A3.jpeg

E5030C3A-53C9-4DB8-96AF-274ACE8F7426.jpeg

89D55A1D-5AE4-4510-916A-AAB8FACB96F3.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for your kind comments & posting the photos Froggie, I too am haunted by viewing these old photos knowing that they are all gone now, perhaps by showing them we are keeping their memories alive.... 

the ancients Egyptians had a saying...."speak my name & I shall live again..."

Would Emperor of India made any difference that fateful afternoon\evening? perhaps not, we will never know, but her crew must have regretted not being able to take part. I think there was another ship in refit or Adm Jellicoe had sent one of the dreadnoughts off on some task leading to her missing the action also, but her name escapes me now.

Those dreadnought & superdreadnought battleships required a crew of over 1000 officers & ratings, when one was lost in action & if it happened very quickly, as at Jutland with the 3 battlecruisers, a hell of a lot of men gave their lives.

Hopefully by posting their photos we are able to remember them on this Forum!

Best....Bryan

51 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

group photo is Vice Adm Evan Thomas' staff on HMS Barham,

Bryan,

Would Vice-Adm Thomas' staff have included Fleet Surgeon E.A. Penfold, do you know? I'm guessing not, to judge by all those gold cords... if you're interested I can link you in to Penfold's report on what Jutland was like for Barham's medical staff.

9 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks for your kind comments & posting the photos Froggie, I too am haunted by viewing these old photos knowing that they are all gone now, perhaps by showing them we are keeping their memories alive.... 

the ancients Egyptians had a saying...."speak my name & I shall live again..."

Would Emperor of India made any difference that fateful afternoon\evening? perhaps not, we will never know, but her crew must have regretted not being able to take part. I think there was another ship in refit or Adm Jellicoe had sent one of the dreadnoughts off on some task leading to her missing the action also, but her name escapes me now.

Those dreadnought & superdreadnought battleships required a crew of over 1000 officers & ratings, when one was lost in action & if it happened very quickly, as at Jutland with the 3 battlecruisers, a hell of a lot of men gave their lives.

Hopefully by posting their photos we are able to remember them on this Forum!

Best....Bryan

Yes, I’ve often dwelled on the huge loss when the likes of Invincible, Queen Mary and the Black Prince went down.  The lucky ones must have been those killed instantly when the main magazine blew up.