Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

trenchtrotter

Postcards

Recommended Posts

MarkTurner
38 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

 

 

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:


That would be a possibility if it was just the shoulder title, but not for the skill-at-arms badge.

 

I believe that AAS refers to the then RE specialisation of Anti Aircraft Searchlights.  The RE had been the lead within the British Army for searchlight technology since Victorian times (1897).  The need had started with the Submarine Miners branch and their shared responsibility for coastal defence with the RGA, before the RE role was passed to the Royal Navy.  The searchlight skill set was divided between regulars and volunteer auxiliaries originally, with increasing focus on the latter as it lent itself to static and repetitive training within a drill hall when not deployed in the field.  WW1 and dealing with aircraft at night led to a resurrection in need and once again the artillery turned to the RE.  Ironically the searchlight role was after many decades of RE primacy passed to the Royal Artillery in 1938, almost certainly to provide a single focus across the piece.  See further details here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/241946-royal-engineer-searchlight-sections/

There is also very good historical detail about the REs early role with searchlights here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/nothefortandbeyond.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/royal-engineers-and-searchlight-displays-on-the-nothe/amp/

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks.

 

Always learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike_H

Apologies Gents,

I should have said that I believed it to be Anti-Aircraft Searchlights in my original post with the photo. There are some details of the AAS in the Miscellaneous volume of the RE History.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toby Brayley

 " Attached Staff of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, Forton, Gosport". From the message on the rear of the postcard one of them is called Albert! Aside from the Brodricks and the variety of RMLI style frocks, it is a wonderful study of the Maxim and the naval style mount. The gun on the right is Number 9202, Enfield made in 1899.

 

1514235502_RMLIFortonMaxims1.jpg.4726c5018ed6ac0839c9c3163fec6ad1.jpg

 

1819384326_RMLIFortonMaxims2.jpg.5003833f2375d11b0a2e1b5470bb6872.jpg

 

1312333507_RMLIFortonMaxims3.jpg.37978a4a2491d154d65ec7a58ebef221.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toby Brayley

And here is Albert! you can just make out the distinct RMLI style of equipment marking on his bayonet frog. 

 

378549215_AlbertRMLIForton.jpg.6b1ea5adc11d5df70f326e841e23cb40.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pat Atkins

Cracking pic - forgive the ignorance but what's the badge, Toby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Muerrisch
2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Cracking pic - forgive the ignorance but what's the badge, Toby?

Do you mean the Gunnery badge on left cuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pat Atkins

Yes, I do - thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Muerrisch

Very difficult area, needs a RN uniform expert to come along: RM flip-flopped with RN ratings for whether they used army or RN badges. There was a Treasury-driven formal agreement c. 1865 whereby the RM and army shared usage. It did not last long. Then of course the RN Divisions of our period adopted weird double badging eg 3 chevrons on one arm and PO badge on the other.

 

Send for an expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pat Atkins

I tried Googling, to absolutely no avail at all; thanks anyway, will cross my fingers for an expert! Sounds like a bit of a quagmire for the uninitiated. And I thought TF practice was tricky...

 

Cheers, Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

Its the rate badge of a qualified Gunner RMLI, similar to a SG (Seaman Gunner) RN. RM wore the badge as this man does on the left cuff for somereason.  

I had an example but sold it last yr so unable to post photo.

 

Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepoy
1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

Its the rate badge of a qualified Gunner RMLI, similar to a SG (Seaman Gunner) RN. RM wore the badge as this man does on the left cuff for somereason.  

I had an example but sold it last yr so unable to post photo.

 

Bryan

Here is an example of the RMLI qualified Gunner badge shown on a RMLI Colour Sgt's uniform. I posted this photograph a few weeks ago.

Sepoy

054.JPG.95b5e0da3a4c84b1cecc4f6b0774cc85.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

Beautiful Uniform in super condition!! Thanks for posting, I had not seen it in yr prior post.

 

The RM Gunner rate badge this man is wearing exactly like the example I had -  gold wire embroidery on red.

 

Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

I see he was a qualified Marksman ( below Gunners badge) but what is the significance of the gold star on his right sleeve cuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepoy

Whilst discussing Royal Marines, I thought I would add a couple more.

This postcard is marked RMLI Battery and shows another Maxim Machine Gun on a standard WW1 Vickers tripod.

The seated Royal Marine Light Infantry Sergeant, wearing his blue frock, is wearing a Royal Naval "Gunner's Mate" badge above his rank chevrons.
He is also wearing a 1914 Star ribbon dating the photograph to 1918. The other ribbon is for the Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Ribbon.
He is also wearing four Overseas Service chevrons including one "1914" red chevron.

008.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepoy

The second 1914 dated postcard shows Royal Marine Light Infantry Police at Forton Barracks, Gosport.

It is interesting to note the different style frocks being worn:- no upper pockets; one upper pocket and two upper pockets (as worn by the Warrant Officer).

The medal ribbons being worn are for the Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Sepoy

006 (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
2 hours ago, RNCVR said:

I see he was a qualified Marksman ( below Gunners badge) but what is the significance of the gold star on his right sleeve cuff?


It’s a judging distance star, as used also by the Army, for which it was devised.  The bulk of badges used by the a Royal Marines branches were aligned with those of the Army, but badges for Naval Gunnery and some other specifically nautical skills increasingly took the same form as badges issued to ratings.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepoy
47 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:


It’s a judging distance star, as used also by the Army, for which it was devised.  The bulk of badges used by the a Royal Marines branches were aligned with those of the Army, but badges for Naval Gunnery and some other specifically nautical skills increasingly took the same form as badges issued to ratings.

Knowing who wore the uniform (PO4365 Colour Sgt Ernest Batchelor, RMLI), I have just had a look at his service records and it shows that Ernest passed a "Sight Setter" course in April, 1904. I assume this is the RMLI equivalent of the Army "Judging Distant" star.

Sepoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
29 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

Knowing who wore the uniform (PO4365 Colour Sgt Ernest Batchelor, RMLI), I have just had a look at his service records and it shows that Ernest passed a "Sight Setter" course in April, 1904. I assume this is the RMLI equivalent of the Army "Judging Distant" star.

Sepoy


Yes, I agree that that is a logically sound conclusion to reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

Since I discovered the Photos Topic (and recently contributed a couple posts) I have to say I have been gradually going thru this huge topic(not thru yet) & it has fascinated me!  I absolutely LOVE viewing these old 1WW & pre 1WW RPPC's.  I dont know a lot about the Army but love viewing the photos of the various Regiments & Corps.

 

I am primarily an RN & RCN collector & have a huge collection of Victorian\Edwardian & 1WW era RPPC's & would love to show some of them on the GWF.  There does not seem to be much Navy RPPC's on here so I will try to make up for that.  When I was collecting RPPC's I tried to find images that showed Ratings\Officers (I much preferred Ratings) wearing insignia &\or medals & tried to build up a variety of these.

 

I will start with RN Ratings ......

 

Image of a PO(Petty Officer) Shipwright wearing insignia of his rank on his left sleeve, Rate badge just visible on his right sleeve.

he wears medals for the 1900 China campaign, 1WW 1914-15 star trio, & Edwardian Naval Long Service medal. You can just make out Edward's effigy on the face of this medal.

Unfortunately no name!  I would estimate about 90% of my RPPCs are unidentified.

 

Bryan

PO SH photo.JPG

PO SH photo.left.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepoy
14 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Since I discovered the Photos Topic (and recently contributed a couple posts) I have to say I have been gradually going thru this huge topic(not thru yet) & it has fascinated me!  I absolutely LOVE viewing these old 1WW & pre 1WW RPPC's.  I dont know a lot about the Army but love viewing the photos of the various Regiments & Corps.

 

I am primarily an RN & RCN collector & have a huge collection of Victorian\Edwardian & 1WW era RPPC's & would love to show some of them on the GWF.  There does not seem to be much Navy RPPC's on here so I will try to make up for that.  When I was collecting RPPC's I tried to find images that showed Ratings\Officers (I much preferred Ratings) wearing insignia &\or medals & tried to build up a variety of these.

 

I will start with RN Ratings ......

 

Image of a PO(Petty Officer) Shipwright wearing insignia of his rank on his left sleeve, Rate badge just visible on his right sleeve.

he wears medals for the 1900 China campaign, 1WW 1914-15 star trio, & Edwardian Naval Long Service medal. You can just make out Edward's effigy on the face of this medal.

Unfortunately no name!  I would estimate about 90% of my RPPCs are unidentified.

 

Bryan

PO SH photo.JPG

PO SH photo.left.JPG


A cracking photograph, I have been giving some consideration to collecting WW1 Naval Medal Groups, which include earlier issued Campaign or LSGC Medals. This POs Medal Group would fit the bill exactly.
Sepoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE

Super picture, Bryan.  It will be great to have you bring a Naval perspective to this thread, it has tended to be a neglected aspect in terms of post card images, and it will be gratifying if you can rectify that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

A cracking photograph, I have been giving some consideration to collecting WW1 Naval Medal Groups, which include earlier issued Campaign or LSGC Medals. This POs Medal Group would fit the bill exactly.
Sepoy

 

RN groups are always nice to have in one's collection, their service can be very interesting. I have had in the past many of these with a VR campaign medal(s) plus 1WW & RN LS medal.  I liked the Ratings that came in during the late Victorian period (later Ironclad age) as the ships were transitioning towards the Dreadnought period (pre 1WW).  I also had many that came in in the later "age of sail" period, as the RN was transitioning to steam power - that "hybrid period" where the RN did not wish to eliminate sail but did not entirely trust steam power. 

RN groups such as this are not difficult to obtain, but you will find them fairly expensive as medals in the past few years have increased in price considerably, & if you tend to rely upon auctions you will find the buyers premium now has become exhorbitant.

 

& Thank you LGen Frogsmile for the vote of confidence, I will try to live up to expectations. I have a large RPPC\CDV collection & will add more interesting RN photos as time goes forward.

 

Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seaJane

Bryan having introduced the RN, I introduce (at the risk of repeating myself) my maternal grandfather, Richard William Marsh, 1893-1950.

IMG_20180625_172918.jpg

IMG_20170803_230100.jpg

IMG_20200214_124430.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

RPPC of a CPO (Chief Petty Officer) Gunlayer.  Wearing medals of 1WW (War & Victory pair) plus RN Long Service medal. 

 

For those that are unfamiliar with RN ranks, - a CPO was equivalent  Army Warrant Officer 1st class.  This image was taken post 1920, as in that year the CPO cap badge was altered to add laurel leaves around the central anchor. I would be estimating early 1920's, likely not long after the 1WW medals were being issued.

 

Bryan

CPO Gunlayer.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RNCVR

Bryan having introduced the RN, I introduce (at the risk of repeating myself) my maternal grandfather, Richard William Marsh, 1893-1950.

 

Thanks  LGenSeajane, that is a very very nice RPPC, love CPO Marsh image!  He is wearing the NGS medal (likely with clasp Persian Gulf, 1908-1914), 1WW trio, & RN LS medal (likely George V issue).

 

His rate insignia indicates he was a Torpedo Gunner's Mate(higher standard), this rate being in service from approx 1909 to the late 1920's.

He too wears the post 1920 CPO cap badge identical to the cap badge I have just posted for the CPO Gunlayer.

Edited by RNCVR
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...